Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: EU Residence card, which line/queue at airport when visiting continent?  (Read 1692 times)

• Liked: 8
I have a EU residence card from the UK. When I've been traveling to the continent, I usually stand in the non EU/EEA passport queue but when I come back to the UK I use the EU/EEA queue. I'm traveling this week to Norway and it occurred to me; doesn't the same rule apply in other EU/EEA Countries, that I use the EU/EEA queue and the guards are not allowed to stamp my passport, just like the UK border guards?

• Liked: 3595
Re: EU Residence card, which line/queue at airport when visiting continent?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2017, 09:09:46 PM »
As far as I'm aware, as you do not have a UK or EU passport and are not a citizen of the UK/EU, you should be going through the non-EU line in all countries, both when you leave and when you enter.

You are not an EU citizen, so you should always go through the non-EU Citizens line unless you are told otherwise.

Normally if you are travelling with your UK/EU partner, you will go through the same line together, whether that be the UK/EU or the Non-EU line, but it's always best to check which one you should go through.

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2017, 09:58:52 PM »
As far as I'm aware, as you do not have a UK or EU passport and are not a citizen of the UK/EU, you should be going through the non-EU line in all countries, both when you leave and when you enter.

You are not an EU citizen, so you should always go through the non-EU Citizens line unless you are told otherwise.

Normally if you are travelling with your UK/EU partner, you will go through the same line together, whether that be the UK/EU or the Non-EU line, but it's always best to check which one you should go through.

Thanks for your reply. Your information is incorrect. As the spouse of an EU/EEA Citizen I am living in the EU/EEA under European Law and as such, the same rights and responsibilities that a EU/EEA Citizen possess, I possess as well.

While some UK Border Guards are still not up to date in their training, most are nowadays thankfully and I am to use the EU line/queue, do not fill in/out a landing card and am not to have my passport stamp.

I was simply wondering if this still applies to when I travel to the continent. I assume it does since they are under EU law just as the UK is (for now) but just wondering if anybody has any practical experience with it.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 10:01:21 PM by Californiaguy »

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2017, 10:19:13 AM »
I found the schengen border guards operation manual. It is from 2006 though but couldn't find an update.

It says in section 4.3:

The travel document of family members of EU,EEA and CH citizens who are third
country nationals must also be stamped, unless they present a residence permit or card with
the indication “family member of an EU citizen” or “family member of an EEA or CH
citizen”.

So, my passport is not to be stamped, but it doesn't say which line/queue I can use. My gut tells me the EU queue as just like when I arrive back in the UK, but I'm sure that all depends on the training of the border guard.

http://register.consilium.europa.eu/doc/srv?l=EN&f=ST%2015010%202006%20INIT
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 11:08:44 AM by Californiaguy »

• Liked: 1892
EU Residence card, which line/queue at airport when visiting continent?
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2017, 11:22:37 AM »
I usually go through the "other " line when I am by myself and the EU line when I am with my family.  The border guards moan sometimes but I ignore them. 

California guy, I bet you love a proper argument with a border guard!  Be careful though, I have one friend who ended up on a flight home because one page of his passport was folded, and another who actually ended up in a mental hospital after an altercation with a grumpy Czech border guard.  I respect you fighting the power, but don't get carried away.

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2017, 11:30:34 AM »
I usually go through the "other " line when I am by myself and the EU line when I am with my family.  The border guards moan sometimes but I ignore them. 

California guy, I bet you love a proper argument with a border guard!  Be careful though, I have one friend who ended up on a flight home because one page of his passport was folded, and another who actually ended up in a mental hospital after an altercation with a grumpy Czech border guard.  I respect you fighting the power, but don't get carried away.

I appreciate your input. If you scroll though my messages you'll see what type of experience I once had at Heathrow.

I am a nice guy, always polite, but I am not afraid to let the border guard know if they are incorrect. Of course I do it in a firm yet polite way even though that doesn't help sometimes. Trying to find the balance between advocating my rights and not being a pushover.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 11:31:42 AM by Californiaguy »

• Liked: 170
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2017, 12:39:11 PM »
I always find that bureaucrats being paid the minimum wage and who hold all the power in the relationship LOVE being told how to do their jobs... NOT!

Just ask at the airport how they would like you to proceed - NBD.
2004-2008: Student Visa
2008-2010: Tier 1 PSW
2010-2011: Tier 4
2011-2014: Tier 2
2013-2016: New Tier 2 (changed jobs)
16/12/15: SET (LR) successful! - It's been a long road...
12/05/16: Citizenship ceremony!

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2017, 12:46:16 PM »
I always find that bureaucrats being paid the minimum wage and who hold all the power in the relationship LOVE being told how to do their jobs... NOT!

Just ask at the airport how they would like you to proceed - NBD.

Have to agree with this whole heartedly.  I used to work for a police department in the US.  Let's just say it doesn't matter how right you are - these guys aren't going to appreciate someone correcting them.  No matter how polite you are.  Just my 2p.

Honestly, I'd just ask at the airport exactly as physicskate suggests.  Also agree it's not a big deal.

• Liked: 342
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2017, 07:00:52 PM »
I have a EU residence card from the UK. When I've been traveling to the continent, I usually stand in the non EU/EEA passport queue but when I come back to the UK I use the EU/EEA queue. I'm traveling this week to Norway

Is your wife a citizen of Norway? We can't be an EEA citizen in own EEA country.

You, a non-EEA national, get the same rights as your EEA spouse in the UK as she is not a British citizen, but is exercising her treaty rights in the UK as a qualified person. As you are married to an EEA citizen, you are her Family Member and have automatic rights to enter another EEA country with her.

I'm not sure the same will apply for you in her own EEA country? Unless you are trying to use Singh to enter, where you will have to follow Norway's rules on Singh.

Does it really matter which queue you stand in? Often the non-EU lines are shorter.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 07:18:54 PM by Sirius »

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2017, 07:12:50 PM »

While some UK Border Guards are still not up to date in their training,

There is no point now with a Brexit looming.

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2017, 07:42:36 PM »

Wasn't it someone on here who said they did a Subject Access Request to view what UKVI had on them and found a letter of complaint in their file that they had written ages before ;D
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 07:44:54 PM by Sirius »

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2017, 11:44:14 AM »
There's a funny book called "Refusal Shoes" about games that the border guards would play.  The title refers to the fact that most people can come up with a proper suit before traveling, but the chancers usually had trouble coming up with appropriate footwear.  Sure enough, there is usually a mirror to facilitate foot wear checks. 

Sponsored Links