Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: A bundle of money questions.  (Read 971 times)

• Liked: 5
A bundle of money questions.
« on: January 12, 2017, 11:53:06 PM »
Hello Everyone!

I am moving to Scotland on my spousal visa this weekend and I have a few questions about bank accounts, wiring money, and such....

A: From what I've read from the pinned note, for the proof of address, Bank of Scotland requires things like bills and statements... That take months to get... Is there no faster way to prove address?

B: I receive dividends 4 times a year from investments in America. My advisor asked for any information I needed to wire the money from the US to a UK bank account... However problem A... And is it better to transfer the money some other way?

C: If there is no faster way to solve problem A, does anyone have any suggestions for getting my dividends to Scotland? Putting it in my American account just seems like even more hassle.

Re: A bundle of money questions.
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2017, 11:55:32 PM »
It shouldn't take long to be added to council tax, electricity, gas and water bills, and you can ask those agencies to send you a letter of confirmation.

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2017, 06:56:51 AM »
Have your dividends paid into your US account then use an online currency exchange company to bring the money over as and when you need it.  (Don't send by wire, costs a fortune!)

I recommend Transferwise.   :)

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2017, 09:18:24 AM »
As you are coming on a spouse visa, I'm guessing you already have an address.  Getting added to a bill should be quite simple.

What takes forever is when you are in temporary housing and trying to master the fight of "can't get a lease without a bank account but can't get a bank account without an address".  That's fun!  Even then, I survived.  I just withdrew what I needed from the ATM in the mean time (I had my US bank raise my daily cash limit to $2,000).

Sponsored Links