Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Anyone else EEA/EU getting nervous or thinking about moving on?  (Read 1080 times)

• Liked: 56
Anyone else EEA/EU getting nervous or thinking about moving on?
« on: January 15, 2017, 12:20:01 PM »
Guys, someone talk me off the ledge here.

Other Half and I are EU/non-EU here on free movement, and have been here for three years (this week in fact). All this posturing by May and the falling pound is making me nervous (me more than him) about our future here and what we should be considering going forward. I don't want to pull the trigger too early as we would like to stay here another few years, but at the same time I don't have much confidence in this govt to actually pull this off (to be fair I dont have confidence in the US govt either) and not absolutely wreck the economy in the process.

Rationally I do see the argument that there is no way they are going to kick out 3 million EU people in exchange for a bunch of UK pensioners, but I've been burned before by the points system (when that was in place), which makes me wary.

Essentially - can anyone give me some tips to keep the anxiety in check? The last 6 months were ok, but March is coming up fast and this early posturing is worrying. That and the lovely official note I got from work informing me that keeping on top of my immigration status is my responsibility (no sh*t) but they cannot sponsor (I knew that too) and my contract states I can be terminated immediately if my immigration status changes.

• Liked: 4985
Re: Anyone else EEA/EU getting nervous or thinking about moving on?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2017, 12:30:10 PM »
I would be mindful of the changes, but wouldn't panic.  I get what your employers are saying, but a bit over the top if you ask me.

It's been nearly 7 months since the vote and we are all still just speculating.  There was never a plan and I think it'll be some time before everything is figured out.  There's a lot more to it than just EU residents currently living in the UK.  There are trade agreements and all sorts, that will need to be sorted before people.

I'm in the UK on the a spouse visa and I still find the whole thing rather overwhelming.  We own two homes here and were hoping to sell up in a few years and buy in the US without a mortgage (hopefully a rather nice house too).  But I think the housing market is going to go down the pooper.  Sucks when you have two ponies in the race!

Basically, I think anyone with a brain is a bit concerned about what's going to happen.  I wouldn't loose sleep over it though.  Nothing to worry about until we know what we are dealing with.

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2017, 01:57:03 PM »
What KFDancer said.

Also, bear in mind that it'll still be 2 years after Article 50 is triggered (assuming this does actually happen by the end of March) before the UK will actually leave the EU, and by that point, you will most likely have permanent residence in the UK and will only be a few months away from qualifying for UK citizenship.

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2017, 10:57:00 AM »
What KFDancer said.

Also, bear in mind that it'll still be 2 years after Article 50 is triggered (assuming this does actually happen by the end of March) before the UK will actually leave the EU, and by that point, you will most likely have permanent residence in the UK and will only be a few months away from qualifying for UK citizenship.

And to follow on from this, I would just say that all you can do is take it one day at a time. Would it help you to think of an "exit plan" if absolutely necessary? I.E. where you will go on the off-chance you are unable to continue your stay (probably best to keep in mind they won't be evicting you like they would a tenant of a flat - I imagine they would give you more than 24 hours to leave the country if it honestly came to that, which I'm not convinced it even will). Maybe just keep a bit of savings and a back-up plan, which is arguably a good idea regardless because you never know when something might come up, so you know you are as best prepared as you can be if something were to happen but try not to fixate on it as you yourself know it's irrational to think they will just kick you out.

I know, for me, having a plan "just in case" always helps settle my anxiety even if it's something that's highly unlikely - so it may just work for you as well.
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 342
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2017, 01:11:18 PM »
I get what your employers are saying, but a bit over the top if you ask me.

The employers have no way of knowing if the non-EEA citizen using EU free movement to be in the UK, is in the UK legally. The employer was correct in pointing out it is these employees sole responsibilty to ensure they can still work in the UK.

If their EEA citizen sponsor ceases to be a qualified person then they and all their Family Members, lose the right to reside in the UK.

An RC is only given as their EEA citizen sponsor was being a qualified person at that time and is in expectation that their EEA citizen will continue to exercise treaty rights (be a qualified person at all times). An RC becomes an invalid in their EEA citizen sponsor ceases to be a qualified person. The end date on an RC doesn't mean a lot as it is not like a UK visa.

If the non-EEA citizen fails to telll their employer that they thay have lost their right to reside and work in the UK (as their EEA citizen sponsor has stopped being a qualified person) then how can the employer know this?

With illegal working being made a criminal offence last year, for the employer and the worker, I don't blame the employers for protecting themselves by sending out these letters.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 01:50:51 PM by Sirius »

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2017, 01:21:47 PM »
and by that point, you will most likely have permanent residence in the UK and will only be a few months away from qualifying for UK citizenship.

IF their EEA citizen sponsor has proof they continued to be a qualified person at all times in the UK, for 5 years. Each time the EEA citizen stops and start being a QP, that 5 years to PR starts again.

PR is also EU law. Therefore a year on PR needed for an application for citizenship, to get off EU law and onto UK law. They must also comply with all requirements to be granted BC i.e. be of "good character" etc

« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 01:52:22 PM by Sirius »

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2017, 01:42:26 PM »

Rationally I do see the argument that there is no way they are going to kick out 3 million EU people in exchange for a bunch of UK pensioners,

3 million EEA citizens in the UK, PLUS all the non-EEA citizens using EU laws and EU court rulings, to be in the UK. i.e. all those in the UK as direct family members; extended family members; those using Chan, Singh, Zambrano etc

Pensioners are Self Sufficeint Qualified Persons and therefore are not allowed to be a burden to another EEA country. These are the best ones for any EEA country to have, especially if they are pensioners. These can't take benefits and they pay that country for all their own healthcare (or their own EEA country pays all the health bills in that country they retired to). They won't take a job. Pensioners won't want that country to pay for the education of their children etc.  They spend and put into the economy, which provides jobs. They keep the hospitals going for the locals in the poor countries. Many of the poor med EEA countries rely on pensioners (self sufficient qualified persons) from the rich EEA countries.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 01:58:47 PM by Sirius »

• Liked: 56
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2017, 10:30:26 PM »
IF A50 is triggered in March and IF the UK govt can pull this off in two years (Ill be shocked if they can) then we will have been here for 5 years and 6 weeks at that point. However, the EU half didn't start working until November of 2014 but can prove job searching activity for the months in between, not taking of funds, etc. Also, at the time we weren't required to have insurance coverage, so if my understanding of the 2014 rules related to EU folks is correct, then he was still a qualified person while job searching, no?

This is all really early to speculate on at any rate, but its been in the back of my mind for the most part lately. And we do have savings reserved and the like but some days, even if you are logical and rational, it can still get to you. The idea that you still dont really have 100% control over your life right now.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab