Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: For Albatross the beer lover  (Read 2137 times)

• Liked: 1891
For Albatross the beer lover
« on: January 16, 2017, 04:59:14 PM »

Since you seem to be interested, here's a link to a pub I went to over Christmas in Bruge that had 400 beers .

http://www.cambrinus.eu/bierkaart.htm

I know it's a bit lame but I had the taster of all the draft beers, then a bottle of the cherry beer that wasn't Kriek.   Then I ate some great food I can't mention.  If you read the menu you will figure it out soon enough.

Sorry for all the Dutch!

• Liked: 584
Re: For Albatross the beer lover
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2017, 09:01:24 PM »
Aww, that was nice of you to think of me.  :)
I've been to Brussels, but not to Brugge... people always rave about how great Brugge is, and I'm sure they're right, but...

I'm super-pernickety and hard to please when it comes to beer, as I only like cask ale. 
Just drop me off in Huddersfield or Sheffield or thereabouts and I'm a happy camper!

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2017, 10:58:15 AM »
Man, I hate to say this, but Cask ale is the one type of beer I just can't like.  I've tried so many times!

Even worse, all those places you mention sound very Northern and grim.  I swear I'm not trolling you!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 11:00:39 AM by jimbocz »

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2017, 01:43:16 PM »
Those place are (obviously) Northern, but far from grim!  ;D

Cask ale comes in many different flavours, colours and levels of deliciousness... maybe you just haven't found the right one for you?

But really... it would be a boring world if we were all the same, and my pub of choice in Sheffield would be far too crowded if *everyone* were in there drinking pale blonde gorgeously refreshing nectar with Nelson Sauvin hops, aromas of elderflower and grapes, and a long lasting bitter finish at £2.10 a pint!

Just thinking about it has put a drooth on me...  Good thing I am away to Manchester Beer Festival tomorrow!

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2017, 01:54:59 PM »
What? A beer festival in the middle of the week?  Get back to work!

You've got me a bit thirsty now as well.  The last round I got in was £5.20 per pint!

How about Newcastle Brown Ale?  Is that close?

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2017, 03:06:32 PM »
How about Newcastle Brown Ale?  Is that close?

Heavens, no!  :o

The fact you're asking makes me think maybe you only *think* you've tried real ale, but actually haven't?  (nothing with artificial fizz/carbonation/gas pumped through it is real ale.  Neither is something served from a bottle or can, unless it specifically states 'bottle conditioned' on the label, and has a layer of yeast/sludge in the bottom!)

eta:  I'd said cask conditioned when I meant bottle conditioned.. sorry!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 05:46:22 PM by Albatross »

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2017, 03:43:50 PM »
You've got me curious now.  How about these:
http://twickenham-fine-ales.co.uk/seasonals/

The one called Autumn Red is what I served at my birthday party.  It was fresh (bright?) so it didn't have to sit for 24 hours before serving.  I think it was a big plastic bag.

Is that a real ale?  It doesn't seem to be cask conditioned though.  Sure was good.

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2017, 05:40:52 PM »
You've got me curious now.  How about these:
http://twickenham-fine-ales.co.uk/seasonals/

The one called Autumn Red is what I served at my birthday party.  It was fresh (bright?) so it didn't have to sit for 24 hours before serving.  I think it was a big plastic bag.

Is that a real ale?  It doesn't seem to be cask conditioned though.  Sure was good.

If it was dispensed direct from the barrel, with no pasteurisation, filtering, carbonating, preservatives, etc; and then served from the plastic bag into your glass using only gravity, no gas pressure, etc, then it was more than likely real ale.  Especially if they told you it had already dropped bright.

From the looks of their website, it is indeed real ale that this brewery produces.  They also seem to do 1 keg beer, called Tusk.  And the stuff in bottles will be keg as well, unless it says 'bottle conditioned' on the label. 

So there you are!  You've found a cask ale that you like!   ;D

(eta:  I am no expert... just an interested drinker, and the secretary of my local branch of CAMRA  :-\\\\ )

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2017, 05:56:19 PM »
Jumping in.

I've never been a beer lover.  What would you suggest to the virgin palate?   ;D

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2017, 06:06:39 PM »
That's a tough one, KFD, because a lot of ales are regional and what's commonplace in one area might not be in another... do you like citrusy flavours?  Do you think you'd prefer something with a sweetish aftertaste, or a bitter one?

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2017, 07:36:40 PM »
Definitely sweet!  And yes, I like citrus.   :)

• Liked: 537
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2017, 08:20:49 PM »
Definitely sweet!  And yes, I like citrus.   :)

I'm with KFdancer. I tend to drink Blue Moons over here. You're supposed to put orange in them. But would love any suggestions.

I think all beers are bitter... but that's just me. Haha.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2017, 08:22:52 PM »
Not sure I will be able to help, as I don't like a sweet beer... I like a crisp bitter finish.  Also, difficult to advise without knowing what's available near you.  As with all good real ale pubs, the stock changes daily... sometimes every few hours depending on how many people are drinking a particular beer.  (I know in our local, if any of the favourites come on, the cask can be drained in 2 hours!)

At a very basic level, the darker beers tend to be sweeter/maltier, so might be to your taste?  If you ever see a beer pouring called Chew Chew from Fallen Brewery, I'd suggest you try that.  I don't know anyone who doesn't like that one!  Even I will take one from time to time if I fancy something different.  It's got a salted caramel taste to it, and it's very nice.

For a citrusy beer that doesn't have a bitter hoppy punch in the mouth, I would suggest Salopian Lemon Dream... it's very easy to drink, with a subtle, rather than sharp, lemon edge.

I hate to use the patronising cliché of 'you're a woman, so you will only drink fruity beers' that many barmen assign to a woman who comes into a pub saying 'I don't like beer, so can you recommend something I might like?' (I hear it a lot!), but... Saltaire make a couple of lovely and easily quaffable beers you could try... Blackberry Cascade, and Elderflower Blonde.  They're really beautiful, but might not be quite sweet enough for you.  Worth a try anyway... any decent real ale pub will let you try a couple of sips before you buy.

Oh, and if you're in a real ale pub, they might also have 1 or 2 ciders and/or a perry... a sweet perry is pure gorgeous, so keep an eye out for these, and ask for a taste!

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2017, 08:32:05 PM »
What? A beer festival in the middle of the week?  Get back to work!

Opens on Wednesday to trade & CAMRA members only, then Thursday - Saturday for everyone else!

I remember talking to a guy at work about all the beer festivals we go to, and all the trips we take to great real ale towns, and this guy just looked at me wistfully and said 'I want your life.'
It is pretty good, I have to admit.  :)

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2017, 09:18:11 PM »
Thanks Albatross.  I'll keep my eyes open for the brands you recommended.  I do love the cider's here - haven't had a bad one yet.

It would kind of be mean to find a beer I like now.  My husband can only have gluten free beers (which luckily he finds quite drinkable).

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab