Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Anybody get a letter regarding voter registration??  (Read 817 times)

• Liked: 1260
Anybody get a letter regarding voter registration??
« on: January 17, 2017, 10:38:40 AM »
Not sure if this belongs in this sub, but I wasn't sure where else it would go (so apologies if this should be posted elsewhere).

Was just wondering if anybody has received a letter in the post recently about registering to vote? My husband and I have both received a letter from the local council this past week. He's a brit and had recently sent his papers through, but I'm not even sure how I ended up getting one?? I am only on an FLR-visa so have no entitlement to voting. I've emailed them to tell them as much (they like to let you know it's illegal to not be registered and therefore a crime, which made me feel uneasy even though I'm not doing anything wrong) and they've just replied asking for my nationality before they can respond further...I've since confirmed I'm American, but surely they should already have this type of information in whatever database they use??

Guess I'm just wondering if maybe a law has changed or I've gotten it completely wrong and I can actually register to vote?? Or is it still just that they made a mistake?
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 31
Re: Anybody get a letter regarding voter registration??
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2017, 10:43:11 AM »
No, you can't register to vote. It's completely normal to get these letters, they send them every so often to encourage those who can register to register. I got letters before I was eligible too. Also, some immigrants can vote in some elections (e.g. some Commonwealth citizens, European citizens), so just not being British isn't necessarily an impediment. In your case if you are American this doesn't apply to you and you can't vote at all, so just ignore the letters.
Arrived as student 9/2003; Renewed student visa 9/2006; Applied for HSMP approval 1/2008; HSMP approved 3/2008; Tier 1 General FLR received 4/2008; FLR(M) Unmarried partner approved (in-person) 27/8/2009; ILR granted at in-person PEO appointment 1/8/2011; Applied for citizenship at Edinburgh NCS 31/10/2011; Citizenship approval received 4/2/2012
FINALLY A CITIZEN! 29/2/2012

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2017, 10:45:48 AM »
No, you can't register to vote. It's completely normal to get these letters, they send them every so often to encourage those who can register to register. I got letters before I was eligible too. Also, some immigrants can vote in some elections (e.g. some Commonwealth citizens, European citizens), so just not being British isn't necessarily an impediment. In your case if you are American this doesn't apply to you and you can't vote at all, so just ignore the letters.

Ah, right thank you! this was the first time in 3 years that I've actually received this letter so I was really confused as to whether or not a law had changed or what and I didn't want to be getting in trouble legally for *not* registering if it had and I just wasn't aware. (I don't always keep up with law changes for us expats unless I'm actively looking at something specific like a visa renewal)
My, how time flies....

* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.

• Liked: 31
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2017, 12:04:17 PM »
Voting is optional, as is registering to vote, but there have been changes in the voter registration procedures and electoral rolls recently, so more letters have been going out. Nothing to worry about :)
Arrived as student 9/2003; Renewed student visa 9/2006; Applied for HSMP approval 1/2008; HSMP approved 3/2008; Tier 1 General FLR received 4/2008; FLR(M) Unmarried partner approved (in-person) 27/8/2009; ILR granted at in-person PEO appointment 1/8/2011; Applied for citizenship at Edinburgh NCS 31/10/2011; Citizenship approval received 4/2/2012
FINALLY A CITIZEN! 29/2/2012

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2017, 12:05:55 PM »
Voting is optional, as is registering to vote, but there have been changes in the voter registration procedures and electoral rolls recently, so more letters have been going out. Nothing to worry about :)

Ah brilliant! Thanks again for your reply! :)

Just heard back from the council as well and they have removed me from the list in future, so huzzah! sorted! Guess the lesson for anybody receiving them that hadn't received them before is "definitely don't worry, you didn't miss any memo!" haha
My, how time flies....

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab