Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Any US to UK Primary Teachers?  (Read 496 times)

• Liked: 2
Any US to UK Primary Teachers?
« on: January 17, 2017, 08:17:50 PM »
Hi all,

I finally got my visa a few months ago and jumped straight into supply teaching in primary schools after Christmas. It has been really overwhelming.

I graduated in 2011 with a degree in Elementary Education then went straight to London for a graduate degree in Educational Assessment. After my studies, I moved to Australia for 2.5 years and worked in an office - nothing to do with teaching!

At first I thought it was so overwhelming because I've not actually had any paid teaching experience and my placement was so long ago, but I'm realising now that my placement could have been last month and I'd still be in the deep end.

There are so many differences between US and UK schools, and I have no idea how to get my head around everything. I don't think it's possible for me to learn everything I need to know to be an effective teacher if I'm dropped into a different school every day, but I'm also not sure if I have the right skills for a long term placement yet. Has anyone else had this feeling?

I'm not sure if I should think about starting as a TA or volunteering long term at a school. I would prefer not to turn down too much paid work.

• Liked: 170
Re: Any US to UK Primary Teachers?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2017, 09:58:52 PM »
Hi all,

I finally got my visa a few months ago and jumped straight into supply teaching in primary schools after Christmas. It has been really overwhelming.

I graduated in 2011 with a degree in Elementary Education then went straight to London for a graduate degree in Educational Assessment. After my studies, I moved to Australia for 2.5 years and worked in an office - nothing to do with teaching!

At first I thought it was so overwhelming because I've not actually had any paid teaching experience and my placement was so long ago, but I'm realising now that my placement could have been last month and I'd still be in the deep end.

There are so many differences between US and UK schools, and I have no idea how to get my head around everything. I don't think it's possible for me to learn everything I need to know to be an effective teacher if I'm dropped into a different school every day, but I'm also not sure if I have the right skills for a long term placement yet. Has anyone else had this feeling?

I'm not sure if I should think about starting as a TA or volunteering long term at a school. I would prefer not to turn down too much paid work.

I teach in secondary. I would definitely advise trying to maybe get a TA job for the rest of this academic year... There is an insane amount to learn. Or maybe you want to consider asking a school you have already been in to observe for a few days (maybe on a day you aren't working).

It also might be worth applying for a longer term position (at least a term) because you might manage to convince a school to put you through the NQT programme which means you would be provided with a mentor.

Daily supply is basically zookeeping. I've been teaching for 5 years and still feel massively out of my depth at times.

This might give you some info too: https://getintoteaching.education.gov.uk/explore-my-options/return-to-teaching

Welcome to the deep end!
2004-2008: Student Visa
2008-2010: Tier 1 PSW
2010-2011: Tier 4
2011-2014: Tier 2
2013-2016: New Tier 2 (changed jobs)
16/12/15: SET (LR) successful! - It's been a long road...
12/05/16: Citizenship ceremony!

Sponsored Links