Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Oh, jolly.... driving stuff  (Read 1717 times)

• Liked: 6
Re: Oh, jolly.... driving stuff
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2017, 01:21:06 PM »
Also, if you are intending on renting cars rather than having your own, I think (but you may wish to check) that a lot of the rental companies require you to have held your full UK driving licence for at least a year before you are eligible to rent from them. Obviously you have your US licence for the first year, but after that, you can't legally drive on that licence in the UK, so if you don't have your UK licence you may have to wait another year after that before you could rent a car. Just something to check out/consider. I may be wrong as I am just going on what others have told me (I've never rented a car).

• Liked: 674
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2017, 04:13:59 PM »
Good thing to check on, thanks!  I don't anticipate renting - I actually no longer enjoy driving. But there might be a case where we need to, so....!   Better prepared than caught flat-footed.

• Liked: 537
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2017, 04:32:55 PM »
Most, if not all, do require a year on your UK driving license before you are able to rent a car. I looked into it awhile ago.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 674
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2017, 07:37:39 PM »
Interesting.

So I can drive for a year on my US license, and then - if I have successfully gotten a UK one by six months after arriving - I'll have a six-month blackout period after my US license expires before I can rent a car on a UK one.

Gives me a great excuse to not drive.  ;D

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab