Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Education level equivalents?  (Read 601 times)

• Liked: 2
Education level equivalents?
« on: January 19, 2017, 09:23:48 PM »
I came across a job posting and figured I would get my feet wet applying for something before I actually get over to the UK. I filled out my address information no problem and then moved on to the next page, where they ask for my A levels and GCSEs which is indicated as secondary education? I guess I need to get a hold of my high school marks then? I also have a professional degree from a CEGEP (something unique to Quebec) which is I guess the equivalent of technical college? Plus a BA and a Masters. I'm assuming I'll need to figure out the equivalents to all of these, if anyone is willing to help out I'd be very grateful.

• Liked: 537
Re: Education level equivalents?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2017, 09:37:06 PM »
A levels and GCSE's are a bit different than high school. I really don't know how to fully explain it because I don't comprehensibly understand it myself. Ksand might be by sometime for you or maybe one of the parents on here.

GCSE's are year long classes that you take specifically so you can get into the Uni course you want to take. Different degrees require different GCSE's  often with a grade of 2:1 or higher.

You do have the option of NOT doing GCSE's and going to a college to learn a trade instead.

A levels... I simply don't understand. I've never applied for a job that asked for GCSE or A levels. They've always just wanted to know my degree and what my skills are.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2017, 09:47:37 PM »
Thanks - It's a form based application so I have to tick all the boxes I guess?

I have an email out to a friend who went through similar schooling to me and is now in the UK, so hopefully she'll have some insight. Guess it was a good idea to fumble through an application after all!

• Liked: 537
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2017, 10:30:06 PM »
Yeah, I've done a few forms based ones, but not many. My skills don't really lend themselves to forms I think. haha.

Best of luck with it! I'm sure you're friend will have some good ideas for you.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2017, 11:45:47 PM »
GCSE's are year long classes that you take specifically so you can get into the Uni course you want to take. Different degrees require different GCSE's  often with a grade of 2:1 or higher.

You do have the option of NOT doing GCSE's and going to a college to learn a trade instead.

A levels... I simply don't understand. I've never applied for a job that asked for GCSE or A levels. They've always just wanted to know my degree and what my skills are.

Ah, you've got a bit mixed up there... what you described as GCSEs are actually A Levels.

GCSEs:
2-year courses taken in 8-10 subjects between the ages of 14 and 16.

They are compulsory for all and are the most basic qualifications you need to get a job in the UK. Without GCSE's you are considered not to have any qualifications at all and likely won't be able to get a job or get accepted to further training/academic courses.

They will NOT get you into university - they aren't high enough standard.

They are approximately equivalent to:
- a US high school diploma. 

A Levels:
2-year Advanced Level (A Level) courses taken in 3-5 subjects between the ages of 16 and 18.

They are the requirements for getting into university in the UK, though there are other vocational qualifications that can be taken instead, which are considered equivalent.

They are approximately equivalent to:
- US AP classes
- US college prep classes or US Freshman/sophomore year of college
- US Associates Degree

I'm afraid I don't know the Canadian equivalents though as I'm not familiar with the education system in Canada.

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2017, 12:02:27 AM »
Ah, just looking up information about Canada's education system... it looks like the UK system is similar to Quebec's system in terms of having secondary school followed by college, then university.

From what I can tell, the CEGEP is considered the same as getting A Levels or post-secondary technical qualifications (like a BTEC) at a college in the UK.

Also, for information on the equivalence to A levels, on the Oxford University international students website, their entry requirements for students from the UK are:
A-level
Conditional offers for students studying A-levels range between A*A*A and AAA depending on the subject.

And the entry requirements for students from Quebec are:
Québec: The Collège d'Enseignement Général et Professionnel Diplome d’Etudes Collegiales (CEGEP DEC) with a final average of 85%.

So, that also implies that the CEGEP is considered equivalent to A levels (or equivalent vocational college qualifications).

• Britannicaine
  • Liked: 198
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2017, 12:02:54 AM »
I always say I have a US high school diploma that is equivalent to at least a C grade for GCSEs in Maths, English, History, French, Politics, and Science, because I took college-track classes in those subjects, and 4 AP exams, equivalent to A-levels. It's not a perfect comparison, but it fills those gaps in the application form and eases the minds of people who can't make any kind of assessment unless there's a recognised standard backed up by bits of paper. Effectively, if you've got a bachelors degree you are qualified for any job that is going to bother asking you about GCSEs--if you didn't have good scores in secondary school you wouldn't have been admitted to university. Just fill in the form as best you can and make a note pointing out that you completed your education in Canada and are happy to provide further explanation and detail if they wish it.
On s'envolera du même quai
Les yeux dans les mêmes reflets,
Pour cette vie et celle d'après
Tu seras mon unique projet.

Je t'aimais, je t'aime, et je t'aimerai.

--Francis Cabrel

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2017, 01:49:51 AM »
Ah, just looking up information about Canada's education system... it looks like the UK system is similar to Quebec's system in terms of having secondary school followed by college, then university.

From what I can tell, the CEGEP is considered the same as getting A Levels or post-secondary technical qualifications (like a BTEC) at a college in the UK.

Also, for information on the equivalence to A levels, on the Oxford University international students website, their entry requirements for students from the UK are:
A-level
Conditional offers for students studying A-levels range between A*A*A and AAA depending on the subject.

And the entry requirements for students from Quebec are:
Québec: The Collège d'Enseignement Général et Professionnel Diplome d’Etudes Collegiales (CEGEP DEC) with a final average of 85%.

So, that also implies that the CEGEP is considered equivalent to A levels (or equivalent vocational college qualifications).

Wow! Thank you so much - I hadn't thought to look at a University website for this, basically just hit "apply for job" and then panicked when I couldn't answer the first requirement... How embarrassing considering I'm applying for a position as a librarian... ahem. Now to figure out what my marks were.

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2017, 01:53:21 AM »
I always say I have a US high school diploma that is equivalent to at least a C grade for GCSEs in Maths, English, History, French, Politics, and Science, because I took college-track classes in those subjects, and 4 AP exams, equivalent to A-levels. It's not a perfect comparison, but it fills those gaps in the application form and eases the minds of people who can't make any kind of assessment unless there's a recognised standard backed up by bits of paper. Effectively, if you've got a bachelors degree you are qualified for any job that is going to bother asking you about GCSEs--if you didn't have good scores in secondary school you wouldn't have been admitted to university. Just fill in the form as best you can and make a note pointing out that you completed your education in Canada and are happy to provide further explanation and detail if they wish it.

Thank you for your response! That makes me feel a lot better.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab