Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Househunting Logistics in Glasgow  (Read 1639 times)

• Liked: 3595
Re: Househunting Logistics in Glasgow
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2017, 10:45:56 PM »
I've always heard them referred to as poles, or walking poles.
If you hear of someone walking 'with a stick', that's what you're calling a cane. (Canes are called sticks... in Glasgow, anyway.)

Same here.

I'm British and I've always known it to be:
- 'walking poles' or just 'poles' if they are for hiking
- 'walking stick' if you need it to help you walk (i.e. a cane)

• Liked: 6
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2017, 08:51:47 AM »
Thanks, Very. That's amazing at the cost of your housing! I could live quite nicely there if the rents are so low. But that will be a few years down the line. I would prefer to live in the country (I'm an avid gardener), but right now we need to live in the city for a while.

No, I'm actually older - and I'm starting to have trouble driving here so it's probably best that I don't plan on doing it there, unless retirement sharpens my perceptions up a bit! My daughter will be at the Uni, so we need to be within walking distance/short bus trip of it for the next several years. Once she's done there, I fully expect she will need a car. Until then, I'm good with walking/buses/taxis/trains/paid tours and saving the expense of purchasing, licensing, maintaining, etc., a car that's not essential equipment.  I've traveled a bit in the UK both with and without a car. (Mostly in late Winter and early Spring.) I actually rather enjoy getting off a bus or a train with a backpack and hiking a bit to somewhere with a nice pub and a decent room to spend some time in. How long I'll be able to do that - who knows?  My bucket list contains walking Hadrian's wall, as far as it's walkable, someday (yes, that's England), and doing at least one of those epic Highland walks. Am bringing my walking stick (hiking stick, not a cane, not sure what it's called there) with me. All I'll need is a long gray robe and a beard and I'll double for Gandalf.  ;D

There are lots of excellent walks not far from Glasgow. Loch Lomand is only a short trip away and has amazing scenery. There is also a train that runs up the west of Scotland and stops at lots of lovely little places such as Tyndrum - which is a start point for one of the most famous walks, the West Highland Way. There are lots of great places north of Fort William. I have just come back from Glenfinnan which is stunning and of course has the Harry Potter connection if you are a fan of that - the viaduct filmed in the movie is there and they run the same steam train along it from Fort William to Mallaig. From there you can also get a ferry to one of the remotest villages in the UK mainland and see whales and lots of other wildlife at the same time. It brings you back in time for the steam train return to FW.

Even around Glasgow itself, there are masses of parks with country walks - Glasgow is the greenest city in Europe.

One of the hidden gems of Scotland is Durness. I would highly recommend it.

Probably the best thing for walkers is that we have Right to Roam, which means there is no such thing as trespass, so the country is pretty much available to walk

• Liked: 676
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2017, 11:40:59 PM »
There are lots of excellent walks not far from Glasgow. Loch Lomand is only a short trip away and has amazing scenery. There is also a train that runs up the west of Scotland and stops at lots of lovely little places such as Tyndrum - which is a start point for one of the most famous walks, the West Highland Way. There are lots of great places north of Fort William. I have just come back from Glenfinnan which is stunning and of course has the Harry Potter connection if you are a fan of that - the viaduct filmed in the movie is there and they run the same steam train along it from Fort William to Mallaig. From there you can also get a ferry to one of the remotest villages in the UK mainland and see whales and lots of other wildlife at the same time. It brings you back in time for the steam train return to FW.

Even around Glasgow itself, there are masses of parks with country walks - Glasgow is the greenest city in Europe.

One of the hidden gems of Scotland is Durness. I would highly recommend it.

Probably the best thing for walkers is that we have Right to Roam, which means there is no such thing as trespass, so the country is pretty much available to walk

12 weeks, 1 day, 20 hours, ... not that I'm counting or anything....  ;D

• Liked: 3
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2017, 09:24:59 PM »
I don't mean to hijack the thread but may I ask where you reside Verystormy?

I'm hoping to move late this year. I've visited twice and like the Glasgow area. Love the Kilpatrick Hills but have a few friends who live in/around Glasgow and that could influence my choice of residence. I'll be working from my home.

I've bad knees so looking for a single story 2-bed cottage, detached or semi detached. Your price point sounds attractive, thus my inquiry. Trying to do some online searching just to get a sense of how much flat I can get in various areas. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Liked: 585
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2017, 06:43:42 AM »
I was just thinking... there has been a ridiculously huge amount of student housing built recently.  Surely that will reduce the competition for the flats you'll be looking at?  I'd hope so, anyway!

• Liked: 676
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2017, 12:27:12 PM »
I was just thinking... there has been a ridiculously huge amount of student housing built recently.  Surely that will reduce the competition for the flats you'll be looking at?  I'd hope so, anyway!

So do we!  ;D

• Liked: 6
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2017, 02:04:39 PM »
I don't mean to hijack the thread but may I ask where you reside Verystormy?

I'm hoping to move late this year. I've visited twice and like the Glasgow area. Love the Kilpatrick Hills but have a few friends who live in/around Glasgow and that could influence my choice of residence. I'll be working from my home.

I've bad knees so looking for a single story 2-bed cottage, detached or semi detached. Your price point sounds attractive, thus my inquiry. Trying to do some online searching just to get a sense of how much flat I can get in various areas. Thanks.

I am in a tiny village called Sandford, but you wont find that on a map, but we are a couple of miles from the small town of Strathaven. Strathaven is a nice little town with a good range of independent shops and is about 17 miles south of Glasgow. It doesn't have any big supermarkets, though we have a smallish Sainsbury's and an Aldi (a popular discount supermarket), though most people like the independent places - two excellent butchers, a good green grocers, fish mongers and lots of others. For more brand shops we are an short drive to Hamilton and East Kilbride.

There are not that many flats about, but you should be able to find a single story cottage. Another stunning village I like is Biggar

• Liked: 3
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2017, 02:48:16 PM »
Thanks. I know the area somewhat. I spent two weeks House sitting in Forth two years ago. I know Biggar and have a friend who lives there. Also have friends in Hamilton and East Kilbride. And, I do see Sandford on the map! Thanks for the info. I'll take a look at that area.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab