Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Tips on travelling to UK one month after Visa Expiration???  (Read 540 times)

• Liked: 46
Tips on travelling to UK one month after Visa Expiration???
« on: January 23, 2017, 11:44:21 AM »
Hello everyone. If anyone has any advice or experience, please help!

I currently find myself stuck in a horrible and seemingly endless anxiety bubble and thought I'd reach out to the hive mind for help and/or reassurance. So, my tier 4 visa expires in less than a week and I will be leaving the country. I am going travelling around Europe for a few weeks and then plan to stop back through here for a couple of weeks before going back to the US (with my spouse) and applying for a spousal visa.
My anxieties are mainly around when I come through the UK after Europe and whether or not they'll let me in on a short tourist visa or turn me away at the border (I've heard horror stories) because

1) it is so close to my visa expiration
2) my partner lives here
3) they don't think I'll leave (which I am definitely am, wouldn't risk being banned from the country!)

I have already booked my flight from London back to the US and so has my spouse and I plan to carry those tickets and show it at the border.

Basically - do any of you have experience with doing something like this or know anyone who has? Any advice, tips, thoughts, etc.? I don't think I can make it through the next month being this anxious...

Thanks!!

• Liked: 4985
Re: Tips on travelling to UK one month after Visa Expiration???
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2017, 12:23:56 PM »
Do you *need* to return to the UK?  Or could you fly from your last destination straight back to the US?  Would eliminate your anxiety, which might be worth it.

Unfortunately none of us can tell you if you'll be allowed in or not.  It's up to the Immigration Officer on the day (unless you apply for a visa in advance).

For your best chance to enter:
Return ticket booked to the US
Evidence of a life and home to return to in the US
Plenty of money in your bank account
A clear understanding of the immigration rules

You have the most important thing, the return flight booked.  And you have your plan to apply for the spouse visa.  Also good.  But it's still not a sure thing.  They need to believe you are genuinely a visitor to the UK and not trying to live in the UK.

If it was me, I'd probably just return to the US straight away instead of worrying throughout my trip.  But that's me.

• Liked: 107
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2017, 12:24:34 PM »
I don't have much experience with this and cannot offer the best advice but you need to calm down. Trust me - they are worst things in the world to be anxious about than being able to pop back into the UK for a couple of weeks.

I must admit - it does look suspicious (as you pointed out in your list). It could also be looked at that you're just flying to Europe to try and come back to the UK after your expiry on a tourist visa.

What they will be looking for is what ties do you have back with the US. I would imagine being on a Tier 4 student visa that you don't have the luxury of a job to go back to.

I must ask, why are you even taking the risk in the first place if you and your spouse plan to go to the US after two weeks? Is it worth it? If it was me I would take the hit on the plane ticket and go back directly to the US

Like I said, I have no experience in this and I could be wrong and in which case I apologise. But believe me, they are worst things to get anxious over in the world and you need to change your perspective.

How long have you been married? Did you not look into the FLR(M) side of things while you've been on a Tier 4?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 12:26:21 PM by Ben1989 »
Feb 2014 - Married
29/04/2014 - Spouse Application Approved
02/05/2014 - Visa Received
09/01/2017 - FLR(M) Granted
22/07/2019 - ILR Granted
05/05/2022 - Citizenship

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2017, 12:48:42 PM »
Thanks!!

I would return to the US immediately but I actually do need to return to the UK, mainly because I am seeing a private healthcare professional (paying for this, not on NHS) for treatment and CANNOT miss the treatment. I'm not sure if it's a good or bad idea to mention that to the border people, ie- that I need this last treatment and then will seek getting help in the US following. Further, I have a meeting with my lawyer to finalise all the paperwork for our spousal visa before going back to the US.

My only ties in the US currently are my family, not prospective jobs, but my desire to go back to the US to apply for a spousal visa seems like a huge incentive to go back and not be banned from the country.

We've been married about 8 months now and would have applied for the spousal visa if it weren't for receiving bad information from a lawyer and causing a huge set back.

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2017, 12:52:41 PM »
I can't imagine there is anything you are being treated for in the UK that you cannot be treated for in the US.  This needs to be a consideration, as what if you are not allowed back in?

Why are you using a lawyer?  Do you have a criminal conviction or a previous overstay of a visa?  If not, it's very straight forward and you certainly don't need one.  Again, if you are not allowed back in, what will you do in regards to the lawyer?

Shame you didn't find us sooner.  You could have easily changed your status from within the UK and not had all this worry or expense.  Why not spend the £500 for an in person appointment and knock it out this week?  Then there won't be any issues.  So long as you apply before your visa expires, you are good to go.  Could be a stressful few days, but it would be done.

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2017, 01:01:51 PM »
Okay well I imagine that this is a good thing for the immigration officer to see (print out these appointment dates and times and keep them on you). The officer might argue that these do not fall under reasons to be granted on a tourist visa however.

As KFDancer mentioned, it's good to show understanding of the visa rules (eg. spouse visa), especially when you have an appointment to discuss.

With this I feel it will depend on what the IO feels on the day. They may argue that your reasons may strictly not fall into the tourist categories. Or they may be fine that you understand and need your appointments to see out your spouse visa and medical issues. Sort of is the luck of the draw.

On a side note - is there a particular reason you're going through a lawyer for your spouse visa? Provided you don't have any complicated issue (criminal convictions etc) this forum will be able to help you with everything you need and save you money
Feb 2014 - Married
22/07/2019 - ILR Granted
05/05/2022 - Citizenship

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2017, 01:04:05 PM »
Why not spend the £500 for an in person appointment and knock it out this week?  Then there won't be any issues.  So long as you apply before your visa expires, you are good to go.  Could be a stressful few days, but it would be done.

This. If you can, do this! It is achievable. It will save you A LOT of time and money and you'll be settled here by the end of the week
Feb 2014 - Married
22/07/2019 - ILR Granted
05/05/2022 - Citizenship

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2017, 01:08:24 PM »
This. If you can, do this! It is achievable. It will save you A LOT of time and money and you'll be settled here by the end of the week

I figure it'll cost £16 more than a non-priority spouse visa from the US.

Apply FLR(M) = £811 for the visa + £500 NHS +£500 in person fee = £1,811
Apply spouse visa from the US = £1,195 for the visa + £600 NHS = £1,795

Seriously, consider applying this week.  There will be appointments available.

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2017, 01:09:46 PM »
Thanks again, these are very helpful tips!

Well, I'm trans and I am going back Texas. Trust me, receiving treatment is next to impossible, otherwise a process which can take years and thousands of dollars just to get started and transfer over all the info. Getting the last treatment would buy me some time for that. If I'm not allowed back in, I guess I will have to try and find a way to make it work of course!

We wanted a lawyer just to make sure everything was done properly and we didn't miss anything/get denied. I have no criminal convictions and have never overstayed a visa. I wish I had found this earlier as well though! I guess we'll have to stay in touch with the lawyer via email/skype if not.

Can't do the in person appointment because of the bad information by the lawyer. We don't meet the financial requirements (even though we earn quite a bit over) because the lawyer didn't tell us that rental income does count if you live in the property you're renting. Talk about angry - paying a lawyer for dodgy info! So now we are doing savings, which must mature for 6 months (that ends in April).

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2017, 01:11:15 PM »
rental income doesn't count*

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2017, 01:21:55 PM »
You say you earn well above the financial requirements - no need to use the rental income or go down the savings route if that's the case.

Are you really only planning to reenter the UK for a couple of weeks, or are you planning to reenter the UK until April?  That will make a big difference.  You may be granted entry for a couple of weeks.  A couple of months will be pushing it.  And UKVI is cracking down on people changing their tickets... just something to be mindful of.

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2017, 01:22:41 PM »
Tell us everything about your financial and accommodation status. We can help.

What do you earn and what does he earn? How do you make your income? Let's see if this is achievable. Personally, I would discard what your lawyer has said thus far when writing on here.
Feb 2014 - Married
22/07/2019 - ILR Granted
05/05/2022 - Citizenship

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2017, 01:35:12 PM »
This really is achievable. If you earn over the financial threshold then (in a nutshell) you meet the requirement NOW. If you can gather the required evidence and fill the form in in the next week and go to the appointment you will have FLR(M) (further leave to remain) for the next two years. KFDancer, correct me if I'm wrong, but won't that mean that 2.5 years of the spouse visa will be skipped, also?
Feb 2014 - Married
22/07/2019 - ILR Granted
05/05/2022 - Citizenship

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2017, 01:36:40 PM »
This really is achievable. If you earn over the financial threshold then (in a nutshell) you meet the requirement NOW. If you can gather the required evidence and fill the form in in the next week and go to the appointment you will have FLR(M) (further leave to remain) for the next two years. KFDancer, correct me if I'm wrong, but won't that mean that 2.5 years of the spouse visa will be skipped, also?

Where do you come up with these things?   ;D  No, it's still 5 years until ILR.  2.5 years after FLR(M), you apply for a second FLR(M).   ;)

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2017, 01:39:08 PM »
Where do you come up with these things?   ;D  No, it's still 5 years until ILR.  2.5 years after FLR(M), you apply for a second FLR(M).   ;)

Ahhh I see. I like to make things up but I should have known that UKVI wouldn't allow a situation where paying money could be skipped!  ;D
Feb 2014 - Married
22/07/2019 - ILR Granted
05/05/2022 - Citizenship

Sponsored Links