Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: May to seek special deal with Trump  (Read 944 times)

• Liked: 533
May to seek special deal with Trump
« on: January 26, 2017, 08:41:55 AM »
“So as we rediscover our confidence together – as you renew your nation just as we renew ours.."

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jan/25/theresa-may-to-tell-the-us-we-can-lead-together-again-donald-trump

Is "renew" the right word here? And wasn't he pretty clear about these sorts of things in his speech?
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 1892
Re: May to seek special deal with Trump
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2017, 09:54:05 AM »
I'm worried about her personal safety.  I hope she makes sure someone else is always in the room.

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2017, 10:07:09 AM »
I'm worried about her personal safety.  I hope she makes sure someone else is always in the room.

Indeed.
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2017, 10:26:20 AM »
What's new with you SoS?  Did you go to the women's march in Cambridge?   Was there good turnout? 

My whole family went in London.  It was good, but my kids wanted to stay home and watch their iPads so they were protesting by being annoying and complaining about everything.  Which got me and my wife cranky, so we started arguing as well.  I felt a bit awkward arguing with my wife in front of 100,000 angry women. 

Still, my daughter eventually came around and started taking pictures of the good signs and instagramming them to her friends.  I think she learned something but would never admit it to me.

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2017, 10:54:36 AM »
I marched!!

About 2 - 3 hundred I would say. For a throw-together pretty good. But I think we were the same 2-3 hundred that show up for any of these things.

I am not a big fan of marches as I don't know that they do much good. But as we move through the coming times, I think it will be important to show warm bodies out in force. Hopefully growing with every event.

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2017, 11:24:54 AM »
Ordinarily, I would agree with you about marches, especially marching in London or Cambridge to make a point about America.  However, I think this was a point that needed making and it seems to have really made Trump mad.  With Trump, symbols and PR are what matters.

• US citizen & UK citizen partner of 12 yrs
    • Portable Weirdness
  • Liked: 60
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2017, 07:58:12 PM »
I can tell you one thing all the marches accomplished, and it was the main reason I marched here in North Carolina:

A friend who left Pakistan because she didn't feel safe as a lesbian Muslim, a friend who is a refugee from DRC, and my 9 year old Latino neighbor, who has been told by an (alleged) adult that Trump's people will take her parents away and put her in a juvenile home because anchor babies are born criminals, all have tangible proof that there are a whole bunch of people who care what happens to them. That's worth a lot.
"Human" is a noun. "Black", "White", "Asian", "Latino", "Indigenous", "Male", "Female", "GLBT", "Straight", "Christian", "Jewish", "Muslim", "Buddhist", "Hindu", "Pagan", "Conservative", "Liberal", are all adjectives.

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2017, 09:02:51 AM »
That's worth a lot.

This is true, yes.

I have always been intrigued by the Chartist Movement. It was a heck of a thing. But I always sort of thought of it as a failure. One writer said of it that while it accomplished little....it did leave a legacy of great social poetry. Well...

But then again, just a few decades after the Great Chartist Meeting in London in 1848, we start to see Reform Acts.

Then there is the Womens Suffrage Movement:

• US citizen & UK citizen partner of 12 yrs
    • Portable Weirdness
  • Liked: 60
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2017, 09:44:50 PM »
I have always been intrigued by the Chartist Movement. It was a heck of a thing. But I always sort of thought of it as a failure.  . . . .
But then again, just a few decades after the Great Chartist Meeting in London in 1848, we start to see Reform Acts.

Eh the ball has to start rolling with someone, but then once it does I think it's just a matter of people saying "holy cow, I'm not the only person that thinks this is a good/bad idea" and becoming less worried about being the ones that stick their necks out. Or for an idea to have real time to play out and let someone see that it does or doesn't work.

Have you ever seen James Burke's "The Day The Universe Changed"? He digs around in "bursts" of social change that happen after major innovations or events like the Plague and the Industrial Revolution. It's candy if you like "how did we get here from there" history:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2cji4q_the-day-the-universe-changed-01-10-the-way-we-are-it-started-with-the-greeks_shortfilms
"Human" is a noun. "Black", "White", "Asian", "Latino", "Indigenous", "Male", "Female", "GLBT", "Straight", "Christian", "Jewish", "Muslim", "Buddhist", "Hindu", "Pagan", "Conservative", "Liberal", are all adjectives.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab