Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: amended return sent to examination office- Audit?  (Read 565 times)

• Liked: 3
amended return sent to examination office- Audit?
« on: January 26, 2017, 06:30:41 PM »
Sent my amended return to IRS in November, phoned today to ask about progress. Told that it had been sent to the examination office on Jan 16th. Is this an audit and will I get a notice? First time filling an amended return.
Filed original 1040 earlier this year and I got a letter back saying you have miscalculated and the refund was changed to zero. Turns out they did not have my schedule 8812 (child tax credit) ( but I am sure I included it-never mind). So November I amended their recalculation and sent the 1040X with the 8812. Not sure if to be worried or not. I have not made any errors on my return as far as I know. Any one else had experience of this?

• Liked: 102
Re: amended return sent to examination office- Audit?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2017, 08:04:39 PM »
Refundable credits give rise to hundreds of millions of dollars of fraud. The IRS will be scrutinising this claim carefully; that is almost certainly the issue. You may well be clean, but the IRS are checking before giving you a refund.

• Liked: 21
Re: amended return sent to examination office- Audit?
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2017, 10:15:40 PM »
I once filed an amended return changing foreign tax credits from the UK and it got sent for exam and then audit. It was a tough year-long process (I even had to "educate" the auditor on the different US and UK tax years and how that had flowed through several years of returns. But in the end my view was accepted without any change. In other words, audits can be a miserable stressful process, but there can be justice and fairness in the end! Just stay calm and cool, answer every question, be prepared for long delays, be logical and consistent. And I hate to say it - get professional help if you can afford it. Good luck

Sponsored Links