Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Want to hold on to my US cell number for return visits  (Read 1304 times)

• Liked: 2
Want to hold on to my US cell number for return visits
« on: January 26, 2017, 07:55:48 PM »
I have 15 years of contacts that know how to reach me on my current US cellphone number and don't want to just give that up when I move to the UK soon. Does anyone know of a good way to hold onto it and still use it when returning to the states for occasional trips without paying too much?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 08:18:58 PM by seanalltogether »

• Liked: 3
Re: Want to hold on to my US cell number for return visits
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2017, 03:55:09 AM »
Look into a service named "TruPhone." I had the opposite concern, having visited the UK three times in the last three years and fighting getting a new 'temp' mobile number each time and having to notify all of my friends of a new number for each visit. I wanted to keep my UK number even while residing in the USA.

Truphone (based on London) offers a single sim card that will allow you to have up to three numbers from three different countries, i.e. USA, UK, France or whatever. Your main number must be in your home country of residence (in my case USA) but the other two can be from anywhere of the many countries available. There are many plans available, mine is $15 p/mo + $8 for each additional number plus a per minute usage that varies with the plan. The card was originally $30.

This allows me to have a UK number in the USA 24/7/365. Friends in the UK can call me anytime and it's a local call for them. And the sim card is intelligent. If I make a call to a US number it uses my US number. If I call the UK, friends there see it's me calling from my UK number. And eve with the per minute charges it's cheaper than adding international calling to my Verizon plan. Thee's also an auto top-up plan so I never worry if I've enough "minutes" available.

And yes you can text and have data too. I've been using the service for  almost 2 years now without a single issue and excellent service. In the US they piggyback on ATT and T-mobile towers. Since they're London based I gotta believe it would work for you. :)

https://www.truphone.com/us/consumer/sim/

• Liked: 2
Re: Want to hold on to my US cell number for return visits
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2017, 02:20:34 PM »
Thanks I'll check it out

Sponsored Links