Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: CDs and DVDs... customs question  (Read 1188 times)

• Liked: 7
CDs and DVDs... customs question
« on: January 27, 2017, 07:13:50 PM »
I can't remember where I read it now, but while I was preparing for packing and shipping my things (using UpakWeShip), I read something about "pirated material" such as copied DVDs and CDs, that you could get in a lot of trouble for bringing them over? Is this true? I have some CDs that a friend burned for me from her collection and I don't want to get in trouble for having them in my stuff.

• Liked: 1260
Re: CDs and DVDs... customs question
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2017, 01:34:09 PM »
I know you asked this a few weeks back but seeing as nobody answered, I thought I'd chime in. I took all my cds with me - including LOTS of burned copies. A lot of them were older classic stuff like The Beatles etc. that my dad had ad I just burned copies of them instead of buying them myself. I took them in big cd binder things and nobody said a word to me. That was 3 1/2-ish years ago now so not sure if maybe some rules have changed (I might have even put them in my carry on as they were heavier and I wanted to avoid putting all the weight in my bags where I could help it and I don't recall anybody even really going through them individually to know.
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• US citizen & UK citizen partner of 12 yrs
    • Portable Weirdness
  • Liked: 60
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2017, 11:31:47 PM »
I know you asked this a few weeks back but seeing as nobody answered, I thought I'd chime in. I took all my cds with me - including LOTS of burned copies. A lot of them were older classic stuff like The Beatles etc. that my dad had ad I just burned copies of them instead of buying them myself. I took them in big cd binder things and nobody said a word to me. That was 3 1/2-ish years ago now so not sure if maybe some rules have changed (I might have even put them in my carry on as they were heavier and I wanted to avoid putting all the weight in my bags where I could help it and I don't recall anybody even really going through them individually to know.

Older thread noted, thanks for commenting on this, I was wondering about it myself. I have a lot of playlist compilations and several fan edit/dub projects, and quite a few copies of out of print AV that either were never released in a digital format or are very hard to replace if anything happens to the factory copy. I've lost all my stuff to hurricanes twice, and I got into the habit of copying everything iffy. Or anything I've bought more than five times . . . .
"Human" is a noun. "Black", "White", "Asian", "Latino", "Indigenous", "Male", "Female", "GLBT", "Straight", "Christian", "Jewish", "Muslim", "Buddhist", "Hindu", "Pagan", "Conservative", "Liberal", are all adjectives.

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2017, 09:45:50 AM »
Older thread noted, thanks for commenting on this, I was wondering about it myself. I have a lot of playlist compilations and several fan edit/dub projects, and quite a few copies of out of print AV that either were never released in a digital format or are very hard to replace if anything happens to the factory copy. I've lost all my stuff to hurricanes twice, and I got into the habit of copying everything iffy. Or anything I've bought more than five times . . . .

I highly doubt anybody even looks at the stuff! In fairness though, as I mentioned I did take it in suitcases as opposed to shipping them with a company (had 10 bags including carry-on's LOL) - although I'm sure it really doesn't make that much of a difference as I doubt anybody is going to go through things in that level of detail as there are bigger fish to fry.
My, how time flies....

* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.

• Portable Weirdness
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2017, 03:56:08 PM »
I highly doubt anybody even looks at the stuff! In fairness though, as I mentioned I did take it in suitcases as opposed to shipping them with a company (had 10 bags including carry-on's LOL) - although I'm sure it really doesn't make that much of a difference as I doubt anybody is going to go through things in that level of detail as there are bigger fish to fry.

(Nods) I may just mail these to myself. The silly thing is, there's a lot of it that doesn't qualify as piracy: as with some other stuff I'm juggling I'm more concerned about the potential for the rarer things being destroyed or permanently confiscated by a froggy official before I have an opportunity to show that, or not having the opportunity at all. You cannot explain to some people that there's a completely legit amateur fan film industry out there even if you show them the paperwork. One of the guys that worked on this project had to go get his gear and a few dozen DVDs out of some site manager's car, FFS.

http://www.theforce.net/fanfilms/shortfilms/sinsofthejedi/index.asp
"Human" is a noun. "Black", "White", "Asian", "Latino", "Indigenous", "Male", "Female", "GLBT", "Straight", "Christian", "Jewish", "Muslim", "Buddhist", "Hindu", "Pagan", "Conservative", "Liberal", are all adjectives.

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2017, 03:59:06 PM »
(Nods) I may just mail these to myself. The silly thing is, there's a lot of it that doesn't qualify as piracy: as with some other stuff I'm juggling I'm more concerned about the potential for the rarer things being destroyed or permanently confiscated by a froggy official before I have an opportunity to show that, or not having the opportunity at all. You cannot explain to some people that there's a completely legit amateur fan film industry out there even if you show them the paperwork. One of the guys that worked on this project had to go get his gear and a few dozen DVDs out of some site manager's car, FFS.

http://www.theforce.net/fanfilms/shortfilms/sinsofthejedi/index.asp

Could you just take them in your carry-on?? (or do what I did in cases where there isn't a special case and use a big CD sleeve to take in suitcase/carry-on?)
My, how time flies....

• Portable Weirdness
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2017, 05:48:25 PM »
Could you just take them in your carry-on?? (or do what I did in cases where there isn't a special case and use a big CD sleeve to take in suitcase/carry-on?)

Between all of this or that digital media, I've got about 9-10 large notebooks worth. I started making things easier to evac or move to higher ground after I got flooded. It'd take up less space if I put it all on external HDs, but that's time consuming, and plastic circles inside a padded box survive weather and being banged around better than tech. And I've always lived in places that were subject to power surges so HDs are never my only back up for anything hard to replace   ;0)

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2017, 01:19:48 PM »
Between all of this or that digital media, I've got about 9-10 large notebooks worth. I started making things easier to evac or move to higher ground after I got flooded. It'd take up less space if I put it all on external HDs, but that's time consuming, and plastic circles inside a padded box survive weather and being banged around better than tech. And I've always lived in places that were subject to power surges so HDs are never my only back up for anything hard to replace   ;0)

Yeah I never rely on digital only as a backup if I can help it.
My, how time flies....

• Liked: 66
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2018, 02:00:40 PM »
Posting now after some success! My husband and I both work in film so we had a lot of film stuff coming with us. We had a 600+ Blu-ray collection that I brought in a carrying case as my sole carry-on (it weighed 11kg and nearly broke my neck). Husband’s carry on was packed with camera equipment and we checked our huge 20kg RAID (hard drives with multiple TBs of stuff like edits and all that). Aside from TSA pulling us over and checking our carry-ons and also checking the checked bag with the RAID, we had no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Spouse Visa (Priority)

App Submitted Online: 18 Oct 2017
Biometrics + Docs Sent: 23 Oct 2017
Received in Sheffield email: 25 Oct 2017
Decision email: 20 Nov 2017 (18 BD)
Passport received: 22 Nov 2017 (APPROVED)
Travel to UK: 28 Dec 2017

FLR(m):
App Submitted Online: 08 July 2020
Biometrics submitted via IDV app: 7 Sept 2020
Approval: 19 Nov 2020

ILR (Priority):
App submitted: 19 Jan 2023
Biometrics: 8 Feb 2023
Approval: 8 Feb 2023

Citizenship:
App submitted: 28 July 2023
Biometrics: 17 Aug 2023
Approval: 27 Nov 2023
Ceremony: 27 Nov 2023

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2018, 12:31:10 PM »
Posting now after some success! My husband and I both work in film so we had a lot of film stuff coming with us. We had a 600+ Blu-ray collection that I brought in a carrying case as my sole carry-on (it weighed 11kg and nearly broke my neck). Husband’s carry on was packed with camera equipment and we checked our huge 20kg RAID (hard drives with multiple TBs of stuff like edits and all that). Aside from TSA pulling us over and checking our carry-ons and also checking the checked bag with the RAID, we had no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yay! Success! :) Happy to hear this update
My, how time flies....

Sponsored Links