Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Why do I (British husband of USA citizen) need to file a tax return in the USA?  (Read 1595 times)

• Liked: 0
I (US Citizen) am filing my taxes for the first time as "Married filing separately". I used Tax Act and it was able to place NRA next to the spot that asks for my spouse's SSN (He's British). However, because I didn't earn any income (in the United States) I am unable to e-file. I printed out the US Individual Income Tax Return along with the Health Coverage Exemptions form (8965). Does anyone know how to fill out that portion? I've lived in the UK all of last year and wasn't required to purchase USA health coverage. I shouldn't have to pay the penalty, but am unsure how to correctly indicate that.

• Liked: 111
If you would qualify for the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion (FEIE, form 2555), then you will have a Coverage Exemption for form 8965. You do not need to have filed 2555 in order to claim the exemption on 8965.

Complete Part III, under Exemption Type (column c) put C. To see verifying instructions look on Form 8965 Instructions, page 3.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i8965.pdf

• Liked: 102
File the return on paper. File the FBAR online.

Sponsored Links