Author Topic: Customs - Personal belongings  (Read 443 times)

Offline kevbphoto

• Liked: 0
Customs - Personal belongings
« on: February 01, 2017, 05:23:12 PM »
Hi everyone,

My wife has just received her spouse visa to come and live with me in the UK  ;D

I'm just curious as the Government's website isn't particularly clear on customs declarations when moving. My wife will be bringing mostly clothing / shoes, probably some books with her. This is all stuff that she's bought in the US and has had for personal use for some time, it'd be difficult to work out a total value of all the items she's bringing.

What I've read seems to indicate personal belongings are fine for duty purposes. I'm just curious if anybody has any advice or experience they could pass on? I'll be flying out the US to help her gather her things and also so we can bring some extra bags, I'd hate to run into issues with customs after doing the hard work of obtaining the visa!

Thanks  :)

Offline taraart

• My Business Site
  • Liked: 8
Re: Customs - Personal belongings
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2017, 07:31:58 PM »
Congrats that your wife will soon join you!
As far I have encountered, you do not have to declare your personal items. If she was bringing any gifts along she could declare them. 

But I'd hate to give you the wrong information and I haven't moved in a few years.

Anyone else know?

Offline KFdancer

• Liked: 1261
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2017, 08:23:03 PM »
You'll (she'll) be fine.  She would only have an issue if she had all brand new boxed electronics and tons of clothes with tags on it (and that's if they searched her which they are unlikely to do).

Though I would recommend she sticks up on a couple of pairs of favourite jeans and some new stuff overall.  Sticker shock on clothes when you first move to the UK is no joke!

Offline x0Kiss0fDeath

• Liked: 177
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2017, 11:33:16 AM »
I took 10 suitcases with my stuff haha (some was my husband's as he flew out to fly back with me as I'm terrified of flying, but mostly mine). I didn't declare anything at all as it's all personal effects so she should be fine :) If there are any newer items, I would suggest maybe just removing all tags to suggest so and maybe not carry all the cash she owns on her (as I know over a certain amount of money you need to declare so would suggest other methods for that), but that's just me being overly cautious as nobody even checked! I went through customs in the UK line as I was with my husband and by the time we got our bags nobody was even there asking questions. If they had, I would've just explained. Don't worry! She'll be fine! :D She will just maybe need a hand with her bags if she packs like I did! haha