Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Protests/Rallies in small cities  (Read 1136 times)

• Liked: 957
Protests/Rallies in small cities
« on: February 03, 2017, 03:30:13 PM »
I was considering attending a rally supporting the immigrant community in my city this weekend, a fully permitted event with speakers etc. in a location large enough for the anticipated crowd.  I asked if anyone wanted to come with, and instead got a lecture about how with immigration applications coming up I shouldn't do anything that could possibly risk arrest. There isn't a history of them arresting people who are gathering peacefully here.  Even with the occupy movement, arrests only happened when people did blatantly illegal things or picked fights with cops. *sigh* What would you do?

I feel like we need to make sure people know they are welcome. Our refugee community is integral to our economy and to the culture of the area, and we have houses waiting for so many families that are now unable to come. If we don't speak out now, what will the future hold?

• Liked: 1892
Re: Protests/Rallies in small cities
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2017, 04:12:38 PM »
You should go!  You should go because it's the right thing to do and also you should go because from what I hear your chance of arrest is small.  Like you said. 

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2017, 04:14:43 PM »
The protests have rattled Trump and are essential to keeping the pressure on the Democrats.

• Liked: 957
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2017, 05:11:55 PM »
You should go!  You should go because it's the right thing to do and also you should go because from what I hear your chance of arrest is small.  Like you said.

Thanks for the reassurance. Getting the lecture made me a bit more weary. I'm going to bring my camera and hang on the outside of the crowd and hopefully get some good shots. :) (Still learning how to use the camera!)

• My Business Site
  • Liked: 10
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2017, 08:45:11 PM »
I would definitely go! You are doing your part and taking a stand.

I attended the Women's March in DC and had some doubts about going because I'm currently applying for my visa to go back to the UK. I was worried about being in the wrong place at the wrong time etc and my British husband was concerned too and said so a few times.

But I went and I'm so glad I did. It was peaceful and so full of hope and promise of better times ahead.

Enjoy yourself! I'm sure you will get tons of great pictures.

• Liked: 533
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2017, 10:32:53 AM »
I got to all of these things.

I do keep my wits about me (well...), I think it is smart to know where the fire exists are in a theatre, if you know what I mean.

If things start getting rowdy...which they never have...I will just ease into a nearby coffee shop and order a latte.

One thing I do think about is passing through police barricades. If they are thinking of kettling, then they will establish a parameter (sp?), so once you are inside of that....and if trouble starts....you may get sort of lumped in with the a-holes breaking windows and swinging on the War memorial.

So if I were to see a police barricade/checkpoint, which I never have, I would just pop into a coffee shop and get a latte.
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab