Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Looking for feedback if you did NOT use a pet relocation company  (Read 8387 times)

• Liked: 4
Re: Looking for feedback if you did NOT use a pet relocation company
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2017, 06:16:40 AM »
The ToR 01 form is needed to avoid paying VAT, you will need it anyway for your belongings. It takes about 10 days from when you e mail it off to getting a reply. It's just an e mail with a ref number, you give that number to the customs agent as the airport your pet comes in to.

We just moved our dog here a few weeks ago, did everything ourselves
and probably saved $2500. Its still fairly fresh so I can answer and ? anyone may have

Thank you Steviereed!  I have 2 cats and I know it's different but I'm sure I'll be back with questions.  I think I'm going to have to try to do this myself.  These costs are adding up fast and I've so much to do!
Met British husband here in US: September 2006
First son born: November 2007
Married: September 2011
Online application submitted: April 23 2018
Hoping to move to the UK: July 2018
Biometrics appointment: May 14 2018
Biometrics actually done (walk in): April 30 2018
Shipped to Sheffield: May 1 2018
Application arrival in Sheffield email: May 3 2018
Decision made email: May 10 2018
Passport received: May 14 2018
Decision: APPROVED!!!!

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2017, 06:43:37 AM »
Yes Thank you Larabee.  I did the microchipping immediately (both were previously chipped but on had to be reshipped with the correct 15 number chip) and will have the reshipped kitty vaccinated asap.

Great, so far so good! You sound very well organized!  ;D 

Thank you Steviereed!  I have 2 cats and I know it's different but I'm sure I'll be back with questions.  I think I'm going to have to try to do this myself.  These costs are adding up fast and I've so much to do!

I brought 2 cats over too.  :) I hear you about so much to do but I actually felt more in control doing it myself, than I would have done leaving it to someone else. And saved all that money!  :)

• Liked: 6
« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2017, 10:44:04 AM »
I'm in a similar boat and will bring bringing my cat to the UK in a couple of months. However, the tricky part is that I have a layover in Amsterdam, and am told I'll need to clear customs there as well. I do not live in the US now, and this was really the best flight for our cat, and also enables me to have her fly in cabin for the longest leg of our flight.

Does anyone know if you need different documents to clear customs at the Amsterdam airport? I have tried contacting the ARC in Edinburgh where we will land, as well as the freight agent we'll use in Amsterdam, and even the Amsterdam airport, and it seems no one can give me a straight answer.

Also, what exactly does the ARC do? It sounds like they review documents for free, but then I was given a pet relocation quote of 300 pounds when making an inquiry with them. I was mainly worried about getting my documents checked to avoid any problems, but would hate to pay such a high fee if this is in fact a free service.

• Liked: 19
« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2017, 10:52:36 AM »
Its not really a free service, someone has to pay for the vets and other people there. When we brought our dog over the fees charged by BA included all customs agents fees etc. The customs agents then disburse some of that to ARC for their charges. How it will work for you with a cat going via AMS I can't say.

• Liked: 210
« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2017, 10:58:16 AM »
The ToR 01 form is needed to avoid paying VAT, you will need it anyway for your belongings. It takes about 10 days from when you e mail it off to getting a reply. It's just an e mail with a ref number, you give that number to the customs agent as the airport your pet comes in to.

We just moved our dog here a few weeks ago, did everything ourselves
and probably saved $2500. Its still fairly fresh so I can answer and ? anyone may have

Just a clarification: The ToR is currently taking up to 30 days, if not longer, for a reply. It exempts you from paying import duties to UK customs (which are hefty). As you can see from my signature, we're halfway through week 3 and still haven't gotten our number. Please apply for the ToR as soon as you can, and allow at LEAST 30 days for it to process.
Online application submitted April 5, 2017
Biometrics & shipping to UK April 17, 2017
Email confirmation from Sheffield April 24, 2017
Submitted ToR May 12, 2017
Decision email: June 2, 2017

« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2017, 06:57:38 PM »

Just a clarification: The ToR is currently taking up to 30 days, if not longer, for a reply. It exempts you from paying import duties to UK customs (which are hefty). As you can see from my signature, we're halfway through week 3 and still haven't gotten our number. Please apply for the ToR as soon as you can, and allow at LEAST 30 days for it to process.

AV you reminded me of one of my other questions.  I am new to this Forum (found you all about 5 days ago and have basically been binge reading) and I have seen several people apply for their ToR immediately after applying for their Visa. Do you not need an actual Visa to get your ToR? If so, is there a reason I should NOT just apply for the ToR now?

« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2017, 07:17:11 PM »
No, anyone who is moving their stuff back to the uk needs a tor regardless of visa status. I'm a UKC but still needed a tor

« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2017, 06:06:57 AM »
No, anyone who is moving their stuff back to the uk needs a tor regardless of visa status. I'm a UKC but still needed a tor

Sorry, I meant is there anything to stop me from applying for my ToR now? Before I've even sent in my Visa application? I'm thinking it is something I can get a head start on while we're deciding when I should apply for my Visa? I noticed that the ToR asks for Proof of Registration (this document should show you've taken up residence in the UK or another country of the European Union (EU), and
the date on which you did so, you may also send some other, comparable document which provides reasonable evidence for this purpose)  If we plan to stay with my in-laws (that's the address we plan to use for my Settlement Visa application), what do I provide for the ToR?  Thanks for any advice!

• Liked: 92
« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2017, 01:31:27 PM »
I am not sure at all myself about this because I didn't need to do the ToR (Pets went in March), but I remember someone saying to be sure you make copies of your passport as it goes bye bye with your visa application, and you need a copy for the tor. @AV? Maybe she can confirm this...

Application: April 5 2017
Biometrics: April 13 2017
Received: April 19 2017
Decision email: June 6 2017
Decision: June 8 2017 -- APPROVED! 😊
Arrived in UK: June 24, 2017

FLR(m): Applied standard - 20 Dec 2019
Biometrics done - 13 January 2020
Approved for FLR(m)!  Feb 2020

ILR Applied Super Priority - 12 July 2022
Biometrics (got a cancellation!) -13 July 2022
APPROVED! - 13 July 2022

Next up - Naturalisation application!

« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2017, 03:16:24 PM »
The visa application and ToR are two totally separate things, they do not go hand in hand.

• Liked: 60
« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2017, 02:22:18 PM »
I am not sure at all myself about this because I didn't need to do the ToR (Pets went in March), but I remember someone saying to be sure you make copies of your passport as it goes bye bye with your visa application, and you need a copy for the tor. @AV? Maybe she can confirm this...

Instructions are form are here: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/customs-clearance-for-transfers-of-residence-to-the-uk-and-eu

You can send a copy of the passport. If you don't have the visa issued, I don't think that's a problem (I had my visa by the time I sent mine). It does say to include a copy of the visa "if necessary".

From the application:
The following documents should be enclosed with your application:
• a copy of your passport, including your visa if necessary
• proof of registration - this document should show you've taken up residence in the UK or another country of the European Union (EU), and
the date on which you did so, you may also send some other, comparable document which provides reasonable evidence for this purpose
• two signed lists of goods, state the goods you wish to import on this list and identify any goods not eligible for ToR
• invoices, proofs of guarantee etc. for the goods you wish to import (commercial documents)
• your tenancy or purchase agreement of your home outside the UK

• Liked: 27
« Reply #41 on: August 04, 2017, 10:32:31 AM »
Late to the thread, but I appreciate it being here! Thanks, all
-Non-priority spousal visa & son's settlement visa-
Date of visa application: 26 April (27 April GMT) 2017
Visas received: 3 August 2017
-FLR(M) -
Date of visa application: 7 April 2020
Date of IDV app invite: 7 September 2020
Date of IDV completion: 14 September 2020
Additional document email: 7 December 2020
Application result email: 9 December 2020
BRPs received: 14 December 2020

• Liked: 13
« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2017, 10:36:28 AM »
My husband arrived last weekend, (same day as our 2 cats) and we used United Airlines petsafe service along with PBS to clear them through customs at Heathrow...process was very smooth, drop off point in Newark was easy to find and although it was a bit of a pain to get from Terminal 2 to the Animal Reception Centre near Terminal 4 with broken luggage everything was quite simple once we arrived and didn't take as long as we feared. I guess the key is preparation, but I would definitely say to DIY rather than pay double for 3rd party relocators.
Spouse visa (priority)
known husband since 2010
first met July 2012
got engaged 31st March 2017
married on 4th July 2017
online application Aug 2nd
biometrics done/Documents sent Aug 8th
Documents received in Sheffield Aug 10th
Decision email - Sept 21st
Visa approved -Sept 22nd :D
flight booked for 6 Oct

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2017, 10:40:53 AM »
Glad it went smoothly. How are kitties settling in?  :)

• Liked: 13
« Reply #44 on: October 10, 2017, 11:37:23 AM »
They seem good thankies, purry and finding their fave spots intheir new home...already found a flea dammit - possible picked up en route as they are pretty much housecats. Hubby is settling in well too :p
Spouse visa (priority)
known husband since 2010
first met July 2012
got engaged 31st March 2017
married on 4th July 2017
online application Aug 2nd
biometrics done/Documents sent Aug 8th
Documents received in Sheffield Aug 10th
Decision email - Sept 21st
Visa approved -Sept 22nd :D
flight booked for 6 Oct

Sponsored Links