Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: US Citizen, UK Resident, US Company Remote Work  (Read 632 times)

• Liked: 0
US Citizen, UK Resident, US Company Remote Work
« on: February 07, 2017, 08:57:43 AM »
Hi everyone,

As the title suggests, I am a US Citizen currently living in the UK since Nov2015. I am here on a Dependent Spouse Visa since my wife is a civilian with the DoD and we are here on orders.

I've been offered a remote position to work for a US Company, and they are willing to bring me on board as a full-time employee. I am not sure if I can *legally* accept this position or if I need to set myself up as a contractor. To the best of my knowledge, the company does not have a tax presence here -- they have contractors that are all UK residents and paid through a payroll company. There's a lot of information out there regarding employer tax presence and employee vs self-employed distinctions. My current plan of action is: if I were a Full-Time employee, I would withhold zero federal/state (I'm lucky enough to be a VA resident  ;)) taxes, pay self-employment and NIC 2+4 taxes to HMRC, and then file FEIE or FTC at the end of the US tax year. Is this ideal/advisable, legal, and/or even possible?

In essence, I am trying to avoid having to renegotiate the offer as it stands to be as a contractor. I would ideally like to be a full-time employee because I will have a US based 401(k), health benefits, and also the fact that I *will* be moving back stateside in 2019. Are there severe differences in tax obligations between being a US employee vs a contractor, billing the US company?

Lastly, since my wife is covered under the NATO Status of Forces Agreement (SOFA), are there any tax amendments that would be extended to me that I should be aware of?

Thank you so much in advance. Expat tax is a confusing nightmare for me :)

Cheers,
Jon

• Liked: 45
Re: US Citizen, UK Resident, US Company Remote Work
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2017, 01:52:12 PM »
Talk to your employer. It is possible for US citizens to work for the UK arm of a US company and pay FICA and medicare instead of NI and also pay into the company 401k.

Failing that being paid by the UK payroll company sounds easy as all your UK tax and NI will be taken care of.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 12:41:33 AM by nun »

• Liked: 102
Re: US Citizen, UK Resident, US Company Remote Work
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2017, 07:02:26 PM »
Under the position you describe the engager of your work will probably have a permanent establishment in the United Kingdom. You will want them to operate UK PAYE and they will have to address the legal obligations of UK employment law.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab