Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Can I open a bank account early?  (Read 1424 times)

• Liked: 672
Can I open a bank account early?
« on: February 08, 2017, 12:29:30 AM »
That is, can I open an account prior to arrival in Glasgow?  It would just make life easier, although I know we can do it on arrival.

Since I'll be living in a hotel until we have found an apartment to rent, will a bank even open an account for me there at all until I have the apartment (which requires I have a bank account to debit)?

• Liked: 4985
Re: Can I open a bank account early?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2017, 12:51:48 AM »
Opening a bank account will likely be the most difficult thing you do!  Horrible circle of "you can't get a bank account without an address" but "you can't sign a lease without a bank account."   ::)  It's fun!

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2017, 12:30:29 PM »
Opening a bank account will likely be the most difficult thing you do!  Horrible circle of "you can't get a bank account without an address" but "you can't sign a lease without a bank account."   ::)  It's fun!

So if one has to have one's rent paid out of their bank account, how do you manage to do this?  I've written to Bank of Scotland to see if I can open something in advance - saw something in an article that says they are one of the Banks most likely to be amenable to unusual situations. Will have to see how this goes, I guess. Checked to see if there was a bank there that had a sister institution here and am finding none.

• Liked: 3589
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2017, 12:35:11 PM »
So if one has to have one's rent paid out of their bank account, how do you manage to do this?

If you can't find a bank who will let you open an account without a UK address, you may need to pay 6 months rent upfront, in cash, in order to rent somewhere first, then once you are renting and have a bill in your name, you should be able to open a bank account and set up a standing order for the rent.

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2017, 01:32:07 PM »
If you can't find a bank who will let you open an account without a UK address, you may need to pay 6 months rent upfront, in cash, in order to rent somewhere first, then once you are renting and have a bill in your name, you should be able to open a bank account and set up a standing order for the rent.

I kind of got that, thanks.  :D  And HOW does one pay up to six months' in advance - do you show up with a wad of bills from the ATM machine? Seriously, like 7,000 pounds in cash?  Will they not accept a direct ACH transfer in Sterling from a bank in another country or payment by credit or debit card?

• Liked: 584
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2017, 03:57:42 PM »
Will they not accept a direct ACH transfer in Sterling from a bank in another country or payment by credit or debit card?

If you use a proper/high-street letting agent, they will accept your debit card.  Countrywide took my deposit by debit card.

When I first arrived, though, I did pay the first 6 months rent all in cash!  (But it was nothing like £7000... I think it was more like £200!

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2017, 04:11:59 PM »
Everyone manages to find their own solution that works, though not without some frustration.  For me, my employer stepped in and paid my initial deposit so I could sign the lease and then get my bank account opened.  We all manage somehow...  it's just not easy!

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2017, 04:17:55 PM »
If you use a proper/high-street letting agent, they will accept your debit card.  Countrywide took my deposit by debit card.

When I first arrived, though, I did pay the first 6 months rent all in cash!  (But it was nothing like £7000... I think it was more like £200!

Oh, that's a relief then!  Six months' rent at £200?  Two questions:  was that in the Pleistocene or were you renting a closet? ;D

I did find that Bank of Scotland will open a basic account if you can provide a mailing address in Scotland. My daughter has friends there who she has her mail go to, so that's not an issue.  We'll see how it pans out. If they take a debit card, there is no problem at all.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 07:34:28 PM by Nan D. »

• Liked: 35
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2017, 12:56:15 PM »
We paid six months rent up front by wire transfer. Not so much because of the bank account situation, but because we had no history or credit in the UK.

• Liked: 3
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2017, 05:19:28 AM »
I actually just posted a similar thread.  In our case, we will have a rental lease agreement signed by May (this rental is being done through a private party) of this year.  I'm wondering if the signed lease agreement would be sufficient for us to open up a UK bank account (and is one bank better than another -- we'll be living in Colchester)?

• Liked: 35
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2017, 04:09:46 PM »
In our case, we will have a rental lease agreement signed by May (this rental is being done through a private party)

Make sure they protect your deposit in a scheme and give you the certificate to prove it.

• Liked: 716
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2017, 05:03:29 PM »
I actually just posted a similar thread.  In our case, we will have a rental lease agreement signed by May (this rental is being done through a private party) of this year.  I'm wondering if the signed lease agreement would be sufficient for us to open up a UK bank account (and is one bank better than another -- we'll be living in Colchester)?

While opening a new account after we had moved back to the U.K. we were having difficulty finding something acceptable with my wife's name on it and we suggested our house lease. The bank teller ( we were there in person) looked at the list of approved organizations said "maybe, is it a printed lease from a real estate firm? If so bring it in and we'll see if that works." In the event I did find that the letter from Northumbrian Water was addressed to both of us.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2017, 08:08:23 AM »
An Update:

Stopped in the Royal Bank of Scotland soon after arrival to confirm what they'd need to open an account. Was told a passport and a bill or a copy of our lease.

Got a lease on a place May 4. Phoned RBS and did an application over the phone for an account, and was instructed to take the lease and passport to a local branch to finalize the account. May 5 we walked to the bank, only to be told that they would not accept the lease as proof of residence because it's with a private landlord they didn't know and that they only accept leases from entities like the Council. (Of course, it turns out that the letting company is a subsidiary of the Housing Authority, they just were not familiar with it.)

So, phoned to get electric and gas turned on, and the following week received correspondence from the power company with the requisite details. Phoned the bank, was told that would be sufficient, so made an appointment to walk back to the bank yesterday to get the account set up. And now have an account, debit card (etc.) to arrive by mail any time now. So, start to finish it took me about 10 calendar days to get an account. Apparently they pay 3% back to you on your household bills, so by doing direct debit on the rent, council tax, Sky internet, etc., I'll actually make a few bucks... 'scuse me... Pounds on having my money with them. 

Works for me! :D

Was getting ready to apply to be covered at a nearby GP when the computer virus thing hit - probably best to wait a bit for them to deal with that rather than showing up when they can't turn a computer on! ::)

• Liked: 716
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2017, 08:34:34 AM »
Thanks for the update, and pleased to hear that it all worked out well in the end. We have all of this to face again with our son when he arrives in October, with the added wrinkle that he will be staying with us until he finds and buys a house.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

Sponsored Links