Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: ADVICE!Moving Permanently to UK  (Read 731 times)

• Liked: 6
ADVICE!Moving Permanently to UK
« on: February 08, 2017, 03:40:29 AM »
Hi all,

I found this forum so helpful during my process of getting my spouse visa so I figured I'd try getting some advice on my move. I'm from California and have lived in the UK before (that's how I met my husband) when I studied there for a year. Because I've actually lived in the UK before I'm not worried about what things to pack or keeping my cell number or bank acct (I already have a UK number and bank acct) or finding a home (and I don't own a home here). However, now that I'm moving permanently I'm thinking about the other little details... I have tried looking at previous posts but haven't found that any of them answered my question- Any other things that people found they needed to do before leaving? For example, I've finished my dental work, will be requesting a copy of my medical records, am doing my taxes this weekend, cancelling gym membership (and other monthly bills that I wouldn't take care of anymore). Oh and we don't have kids to worry about ;D I have to leave in 2 weeks so I'm worried I'm forgetting to do things and will have a hard time taking care of them once I'm gone. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated!  :D

• Liked: 4985
Re: ADVICE!Moving Permanently to UK
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2017, 01:48:30 PM »
Adding someone you trust to your US bank account can prove invaluable.  Same with appointing someone as Power of Attorney.

I also would encourage you to budget for an annual trip home each year that grows if you have kids.  The number of people I know in real life who haven't been home in x number of years or who's kids haven't met most of their family is very sad.

• Liked: 6
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2017, 04:36:52 PM »
That's a good point! Thanks for the advice :)

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2017, 09:55:18 AM »
If you can set a forwarding address for your mail to either a family member (if there's someone you can trust)or to the UK, I would strongly suggest doing that because if you *do* forget to cancel something, the spam you get will help remind you! hah  :)

Also, I would suggest maybe not cancelling your US bank account if you think you'll be travelling back a fair amount and making sure you enable online banking if you haven't already because I find it cheaper and easier now to just transfer money from my UK account to my US account when I'm preparing to visit back home (and sometimes, if I'm ordering something from the US to my deliver to my mom's back there - which is what i do with my family's Christmas and bday presents - I need a US bank card so it's handy for that as well). Also, it's useful for student loans or any other type of payments you may need to make in the US while you're abroad.

I'm sure you've got all your bases covered as this isn't your first rodeo! Best of luck with your moving! :)
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

Sponsored Links