Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Long hiring process...  (Read 656 times)

• Liked: 21
Long hiring process...
« on: February 08, 2017, 06:27:53 PM »
I'm getting pretty fed up now. I was offered a position at a local college just a couple days before their holiday break in December. It's PRN/casual, but I've been having difficulty finding a job within my background here, so I accepted it. It's a foot in the door and would be great for the experience. Their break was 2 weeks long, during which time the HR advisor handling my hiring was off for 3 weeks... so that's 3 weeks total gone right there. When she returned she asked me for my references again, and also sent me the employment paperwork (which included an offer letter). I gave her my references' contact details and sent her the paperwork.

A couple weeks passed and I heard nothing. I called to follow up and she said she was still waiting on my references, and that there was a delay on my DBS check. She said that they had to do something different with it, as I'm from the US. Never heard of that before, but I didn't question it.

A couple weeks later, I again followed up after hearing nothing. HR person said that she received one reference back, and was still waiting on the other one. I got in touch with my second referee and she said she didn't hear/receive anything from the college. I informed HR of this, to which she said that they called my referee, and asked her for her email address. She said that the reference form was sent to my referee's email. I contacted my referee again, and she confirmed that she spoke to HR but still hadn't received anything through email (she also checked her junk folder)- it's been a week since they spoke! Why couldn't the HR person just get the reference when she called her? So, looks like I will again need to inform them that my referee has received no email. I really hate chasing after people like this. At the same time, I don't want to seem pushy. It can be a tricky balance.

So, in total (from when HR person returned from break and all this began), it's been just over a month. Is this normal? I only ask because I've never experienced this long of a hiring process for a job before- not to mention all the back and forth and follow ups.

To make matters worse, I've read a few concerning articles about the college lately, and that they're (most likely) going to cut 100 jobs due to budget cuts. This includes the department I would be employed in, as well. No one has told me directly that my job is at risk... but it's still a concern  :-\\\\
4/2015 Married
7/2015 Spousal visa granted
8/2015 Moved to England
10/2020 ILR granted

• Liked: 4985
Re: Long hiring process...
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2017, 07:48:39 PM »
Have you signed the contract and agreed a start date?

Things are definitely slower here and with the long notice periods, things tend to be very slow (as they don't need to be quick).

You are doing the right things.  I'm sure your reference realises it's "not you".

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2017, 08:04:51 PM »
There's been no contract or mention of a start date. It states in the offer letter that the offer is subject to successful background and reference checking. As the position is on an as needed basis, it also states "when work is available your line manager will issue you with a contract." I had a feeling that things were a little slower over here, but wasn't expecting all the back and forth.

I've kind of been waiting around for this job, but do you think I should start applying for other jobs? This one just seems so up in the air.

4/2015 Married
8/2015 Moved to England
10/2020 ILR granted

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2017, 08:20:33 PM »
There's certainly no harm in continuing to look.  When it rains, it pours after all!

I would still think they would have a start date for you.  But it sounds like a unique arrangement for a job.

Only extra recommendation I have is to see if they will copy you in on the reference email so you know it's been sent and received?  Not sure they will but no harm asking.

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2017, 08:35:02 PM »
Thank you for the suggestion! It just seems like things (been here since August 2015) have really been a struggle for me over here, and I'm so ready to move forward.
4/2015 Married
8/2015 Moved to England
10/2020 ILR granted

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2017, 08:52:55 PM »
I get it!  Things have been tough for me for the last couple of years.  I'm desperate for some stability but seems like any job I end up in is going through a LOT of change.  That coupled with an unplanned pregnancy... <sigh>.  I'm pleased about the baby, just wasn't my best timing.   ;)

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2017, 09:29:32 PM »
I'll be 30 later this year and this is definitely not how I imagined approaching 30 to be. It's been difficult rebuilding my life here, especially when it comes to work. I've been working in a retail here for a while, which was meant to be just an interim thing until I got settled. I don't like comparing, but I had a very good job back in Ohio (THAT hiring process was very easy and took about a week lol). There's no true equivalent here to what I did back in the US, so it's been tricky figuring out what kinds of jobs I'm suitable for.

Congrats on baby! So exciting. I too was an unplanned baby- the best ones are unplanned  :)
4/2015 Married
8/2015 Moved to England
10/2020 ILR granted

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2017, 10:03:53 PM »
Luckily I came here for work, so I am still on a good path.

We were casually trying for #2 for a year.  Wasn't happening, so decided our family was complete and I allowed myself to be poached by another company...  only to get pregnant unexpectedly.  Oops!  So no maternity pay which will be interesting.  Thankfully everyone at work is really happy for me and says I'm silly for feeling guilty.  Baby is very much wanted!

• Liked: 43
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2017, 08:14:22 AM »
Luckily I came here for work, so I am still on a good path.

We were casually trying for #2 for a year.  Wasn't happening, so decided our family was complete and I allowed myself to be poached by another company...  only to get pregnant unexpectedly.  Oops!  So no maternity pay which will be interesting.  Thankfully everyone at work is really happy for me and says I'm silly for feeling guilty.  Baby is very much wanted!
Did you see my earlier post about maternity allowance? It's not as good but at least it's something!
Sept 2001 - June 2006: studied at the University of Glasgow and the University of Strathclyde
Aug 2010 - Dec 2010: in UK on holiday visa
Jan 2011: issued fiancée visa
July 2011: issued FLR(M)
March 2012: DD1
June 2013: issued ILR
November 2013: DD2

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2017, 01:31:49 PM »
Did you see my earlier post about maternity allowance? It's not as good but at least it's something!

Yes, I qualify for that.  Just a rather large difference from my salary.  I miss qualifying for paid leave by two weeks.   :-\\\\

• Liked: 170
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2017, 05:18:14 PM »
Hi Karlee - sorry for your frustrations but schools/ colleges are notoriously slow for getting their acts together. I resigned mid-October and won't start at my new school until the end of Feb. You are not alone in your frustrations if that is of any help...
2004-2008: Student Visa
2008-2010: Tier 1 PSW
2010-2011: Tier 4
2011-2014: Tier 2
2013-2016: New Tier 2 (changed jobs)
16/12/15: SET (LR) successful! - It's been a long road...
12/05/16: Citizenship ceremony!

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2017, 04:46:21 PM »
So, the HR person told me that she's sent my referee multiple emails. My referee hasn't received any of them, even checked her junk folder. I even checked with HR to make sure they have her contact details correct. I have no clue why their emails aren't getting through to her email address, very odd. So, at this point they're going to send the reference form by mail instead. Oof, so ready to get this over with.

Luckily I have a good relationship with my referee (a former manager), and she knows that it's definitely "not me" !
4/2015 Married
8/2015 Moved to England
10/2020 ILR granted

Sponsored Links