Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: "American" businesses?  (Read 2592 times)

• Liked: 1260
Re: "American" businesses?
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2017, 10:23:38 AM »
@Ben - You are more than qualified to answer, Brit or not :) I know my Brit husband does like some things (like bagel shops) in the US and wishes we had them here so you certainly are welcome to your list :) (Also, thinking about proper bagels has also made me miss proper donuts....I'm not a junk food streak with my thoughts these last few days I think hahah)

Do you like Gourmet Burger Kitchen? I didn't think it was terrible but I went when the one in Reading opened and I thought it was just average... I thought it was expensive as they made you pay for tiny little pots of condiments. But then I prefer burgers like 5 Guys (where you have endless soda fountain use) and Byron Burger (staff near me aren't great but the food is always good!). What are other people's thoughts on GBK?

When you talk about diners, all I can think about is the late, drunken nights friends and I would go to Denny's after playing a bit of pool to get food. Good times :)

Not even just cheesesteaks, but I find there are so many "American" food options that restaurants here bill as "Real American ----" and it's never tasted right! (or even made rght half the time! haha)

Do you really prefer American bacon to English bacon???! I guess it depends on where you are in the US and I guess where you're eating it. I always found that US bacon was fattier (and I don't like the fatty bits) and not as fresh as UK bacon!

We don't have an "Almost Famous" down here I don't believe. Is it decent other than the amount of patties they make you have?
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 107
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2017, 10:36:39 AM »
@Ben - You are more than qualified to answer, Brit or not :) I know my Brit husband does like some things (like bagel shops) in the US and wishes we had them here so you certainly are welcome to your list :) (Also, thinking about proper bagels has also made me miss proper donuts....I'm not a junk food streak with my thoughts these last few days I think hahah)
Even just the likes of Dunkin' Donuts would be good.

Do you like Gourmet Burger Kitchen? I didn't think it was terrible but I went when the one in Reading opened and I thought it was just average... I thought it was expensive as they made you pay for tiny little pots of condiments. But then I prefer burgers like 5 Guys (where you have endless soda fountain use) and Byron Burger (staff near me aren't great but the food is always good!). What are other people's thoughts on GBK?
The one in Liverpool is good. Good enough to get your required fix anyway and they also allow you to collect. I have a membership number and always manage to get a free burger some how :). Five Guys is also good. Byron Burger is also around the corner from GBK in Liverpool so might give them a go next time

Not even just cheesesteaks, but I find there are so many "American" food options that restaurants here bill as "Real American ----" and it's never tasted right! (or even made rght half the time! haha)
Yes. They just stick 'American' on it and the British think that's really how it is. The amount of people I have to correct and say that most of the stuff isn't proper American. I've had fish and chips in America that were supposed to be British Fish and Chips and I was livid. Nothing like British fish and chips so I know how mad you must get.

Do you really prefer American bacon to English bacon???! I guess it depends on where you are in the US and I guess where you're eating it. I always found that US bacon was fattier (and I don't like the fatty bits) and not as fresh as UK bacon!
Oh my gosh yes. It's so crispy and so nice on pancakes and maple syrup. I think they're just totally different cuts however.

We don't have an "Almost Famous" down here I don't believe. Is it decent other than the amount of patties they make you have?
Yeah it's fine. Quite cooly themed. You just have to double patty it!
Feb 2014 - Married
29/04/2014 - Spouse Application Approved
02/05/2014 - Visa Received
09/01/2017 - FLR(M) Granted
22/07/2019 - ILR Granted
05/05/2022 - Citizenship

« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2017, 10:47:52 AM »
ahahah funny you mention Dunks because, i switched from Dunks to Starbucks when I was in high school because my best friend was a barrista and would give me free coffee when I'd visit her! I started realising they NEVER got my order right at dunkins and , as i got used to Starbucks strong coffee, dunks just tasted weak! I now try to actively avoid it as much as possible but, being a New Englander, sometimes it's nearly impossible hahaha I remember growing up and going on holiday somewhere and being outraged when there wasn't a drunks within easy driving distance! They have a handful of them over here now but they honestly are nothing like the ones back home. The donuts aren't much variety and basically taste like Krispy Kreme and there is no actual iced coffee, just iced latte (and it's FAR more expensive than US dunks! lol). Was looking at the "homesick" candles and my state has the "smell of dunkins" in it as well as cider donuts hahah

My weakness at Byron is their courgette fries. If you like courgette, give them a go! They are delish :) 

I remember going to a Ed's Diner once in reading as it was an "American Diner". When you look at the menu, it's hilarious. I cannot remember the last time "fruit salad" actually qualified as a proper dessert in the US, yet they market it like that's the norm... Oh god yeah, fish and chips in the US is not proper english fish and chips (I don't even like fish, but I can just tell by how it smells and looks. I think it's literally different fish as well if I remember correctly). It's irritating because then people over here think that is actually what we have in the US and it's just not!

RE the bacon, they are totally different cuts in fairness. I think it just depends on what I want the bacon for. if it's for a bacon roll, I prefer UK bacon but if t's as a side to my pancakes, I can appreciate a good, crispy piece of bacon :)

UGH sometimes I can barely eat those with ONE patty given all the toppings and junk they put on it. I cant imagine easily eating two!
My, how time flies....

* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.

« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2017, 10:58:51 AM »
It's funny because I'm a Liverpool FC fan and one of their official sponsors is Dunkin' Donuts and also says 'the official coffee of Liverpool FC' yet there are only a small handful in the UK! Obviously it's more for advertising on an international/American level but always tickles me.

I have been to Byron but it was in London and I was smashed so couldn't remember a thing or even how everything tasted. Haha, do you actually say courgette now?

I refuse to go to Ed's Diner for that reason. 'The Diner' chain in London however is really good. Huge portions and really good food! Bottomless coffees too which are crucial when nursing a hangover.

Oh I agree with you. I didn't mean it as a substitute for all British bacon and I agree British is best on a sandwich.

Are there any foods you like over here that you would take to the states? Granted, I appreciate your selection would be small on this subject haha
Feb 2014 - Married
22/07/2019 - ILR Granted
05/05/2022 - Citizenship

« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2017, 11:13:37 AM »
It's funny because I'm a Liverpool FC fan and one of their official sponsors is Dunkin' Donuts and also says 'the official coffee of Liverpool FC' yet there are only a small handful in the UK! Obviously it's more for advertising on an international/American level but always tickles me.

I think I've seen one in Cambridge if I remember correctly and the rest were rest stops further up north that we stopped at on the way to see my FIL in Whitby. It's usually combined with a sandwhich shop I think...definitely an odd combo! You're probably the only person at their matches who even knows what Dunkin Donuts is! hah

Haha, do you actually say courgette now?

hehe it depends on who I'm talking to. My brain does this thing - and I don't know if it happens to anybody else - but it automatically switches over my language to whoever I'm speaking to (the majority of the time). Like if I'm talking to my mum, it's zucchini, chips, eggplant, etc. If I'm talking to my in-laws or friends over here, it's courgette, crisps, aubergine nd all that jazz. Every so often, however, I think my brain fries a bit as sometimes I am stuck searching for the right word in my head while I'm ummm-ing and ahhh-ing.

I refuse to go to Ed's Diner for that reason. 'The Diner' chain in London however is really good. Huge portions and really good food! Bottomless coffees too which are crucial when nursing a hangover.

Yeah, I literally only went for the American style pancakes as it was the closest to me when I lived in Reading but then I found out that Bill's existed and stopped that pretty much immediately! The Ed's in Reading has since closed down (thankfully). Never been to "The Diner" but might have to give it a go next time I'm in London. I admit, I don't go as often as I could because I just can't deal with people sometimes! hahaha they can be SO rude and I just end up getting stressed out. We go when there's a decent gig on or something but that's few and far between. I always tell people that I think we take for granted how close to London we live sometimes. (Except if you ask people from back in the US, and they all assume that's where I live...  ::) ::) ::) )

Are there any foods you like over here that you would take to the states? Granted, I appreciate your selection would be small on this subject haha

Hmmmm good question! I'm sure there more than I can think of on the spot right now as my brain still isn't fully functioning yet, but I would definitely say Yorkshire Puddings, hands down! People in the US are REALLY missing out! I also think the cider (hard cider to Americans) are probably better here and have more of a selection than in the US, although there are more now than there use to be when I lived there. Some of the crisp flavours I definitely would take over with me if I were moving back to the US. I would say Starbucks paninis are more to my taste here than in the US but I don't get those often to be fair. If I think of anything else, I will post it! haha What are some things from here that you would "gift" to the US if you could that you know they don't have?

One thing that we're missing over here though is COOL WHIP! I can't find a decent substitute and there are so many excellent US puddings I want to make but can't because I don't have any cool whip! GRR
My, how time flies....

« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2017, 11:49:43 AM »
London is awesome. I try and go every 4 months or so. My best bud regularly flies into London so I always try and meet him there (he lives in Prague). And agreed, all of my wife's friends say that we live in London when we live 4 hours from it.

I find it very interesting that you went to Yorkshire Puddings as that is the one food from here that she loves (understandably). I'll list what I would bring over

Yorkshire Puddings.
Pies. A nice steak and ale pie....yes!
Lamb. Oh my a nice minted lamb on a roast dinner. Yum. I am yet to see a lamb dish in the states
Biscuits. All of our biscuits. Fox's creams, chocolate digestives etc
Chocolate bars. No offense, but our chocolate bars are the best
Baked beans. Perfect on toast, of course.
Scones.
Sausage and bacon 'butties'
Duck. I'm not sure how common it is in the states.

and last but certainly not least.....the FULL ENGLISH BREAKFAST  [smiley=chef.gif]

« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 11:53:38 AM by Ben1989 »
Feb 2014 - Married
22/07/2019 - ILR Granted
05/05/2022 - Citizenship

• Liked: 57
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2017, 11:56:13 AM »
Also, thinking about proper bagels has also made me miss proper donuts....
Oh god, one of the things I miss about SoCal are the independent donut shops. I love cake donuts. Old fashioned glazed or just a rainbow sprinkle. Krispy Kreme just doesn't cut it!

But then I prefer burgers like 5 Guys (where you have endless soda fountain use)
Have you seen that some of the stand alone Burger Kings now have the endless soda fountain like 5 Guys? And without the 5 Guys prices. Fountain Dr Pepper with unlimited ice, gah, it's the little things (where's the Homer Simpson drooling emoji when you need one?!
Met at Disneyland Paris: spring 1995
Dated long distance: off & on 2008-2014
Our twin boys were born: Sep 2009
Engaged: Oct 10 2014
Married: December 5 2014
Online Application & paid PRIORITY Submitted: Dec 22 2014
Visa Received: Jan 14 2015
Arrived in the UK: Feb 28 2015
FLR(M) application mailed: Sep 12 2017
FLR(M) approved: Oct 27
SET(M) application submitted: Feb 4 2020 (super priority)
SET(M) appointment: Mar 9
SET(M) approved: Mar 10
Naturalisation app submitted: Jun 19
No biometrics needed email: July 23

« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2017, 12:05:32 PM »
Have you seen that some of the stand alone Burger Kings now have the endless soda fountain like 5 Guys? And without the 5 Guys prices. Fountain Dr Pepper with unlimited ice, gah, it's the little things (where's the Homer Simpson drooling emoji when you need one?!

But...but...it's Burger King! Five Guys is soooo much better!
Feb 2014 - Married
22/07/2019 - ILR Granted
05/05/2022 - Citizenship

« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2017, 12:08:59 PM »
But...but...it's Burger King! Five Guys is soooo much better!

True...it is SO much better and SO much more expensive! Especially with 3 kids, one of which doesn't understand the concept of being on a budget (can I have a soda, and a side, and extra whatever????)!

I do love the chili cheese bites at BK though. The closest thing I can easily get to nacho cheese here! And at breakfast-time they actually have tots!

« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2017, 01:12:17 PM »
And agreed, all of my wife's friends say that we live in London when we live 4 hours from it.

I mean...I get it...but I don't get it! As they should know by now that I DO NOT live in London! It's not worth correcting though at this point. In fairness, when I talk to people over here, it's easier to just say "I'm from Boston" vs "I'm from fill-in-the-blank suburb 15 minutes drive outside the city" as I'm lucky if people know the location of Boston let alone the name of all the random suburbs!

I find it very interesting that you went to Yorkshire Puddings as that is the one food from here that she loves (understandably). I'll list what I would bring over

It's because they are both amazing and necessary for roast dinners. :) I had a MASSIVE yorkie filled with the fixings at Reading Festival a year or two ago. I mean, it was still festival food and I was pissed off my face at that point I think....but it was damn good!

Yorkshire Puddings.
Pies. A nice steak and ale pie....yes!
Lamb. Oh my a nice minted lamb on a roast dinner. Yum. I am yet to see a lamb dish in the states
Biscuits. All of our biscuits. Fox's creams, chocolate digestives etc
Chocolate bars. No offense, but our chocolate bars are the best
Baked beans. Perfect on toast, of course.
Scones.
Sausage and bacon 'butties'
Duck. I'm not sure how common it is in the states.

I will agree with you on most chocolates in the US. Chocolate here is pretty much superior.

We already have baked beans, scones, and duck! :) We have bacon and sausage as well we just, for some reason, don't think to put it in a roll! haha I just thought about how we don't have sausage rolls, however! That would be another I would bring over!
My, how time flies....

« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2017, 01:17:34 PM »
Re

Re the donut chat, I'd love some Kane's Donuts right now!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My, how time flies....

« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2017, 01:19:17 PM »
True...it is SO much better and SO much more expensive! Especially with 3 kids, one of which doesn't understand the concept of being on a budget (can I have a soda, and a side, and extra whatever????)!

I do love the chili cheese bites at BK though. The closest thing I can easily get to nacho cheese here! And at breakfast-time they actually have tots!

I do so much prefer five guys (as I think it's fresher and I know they locally source the chips and stuff) but I also don't have children to buy for, just husband and I! haha We get a large cajun fry and split that and usually just get one large drink and share that.
My, how time flies....

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2017, 01:55:16 PM »
Gourmet Burger Kitchen has a lunchtime special with fries for £8

Five guys shakes are great, but £5!!!

« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2017, 02:02:52 PM »
I do so much prefer five guys (as I think it's fresher and I know they locally source the chips and stuff) but I also don't have children to buy for, just husband and I! haha We get a large cajun fry and split that and usually just get one large drink and share that.

I share fries and a drink with my 7yos when we go, but add in the 12yo and, I swear, the price doubles! Damn pre-teens!

« Reply #44 on: February 14, 2017, 02:06:21 PM »
I share fries and a drink with my 7yos when we go, but add in the 12yo and, I swear, the price doubles! Damn pre-teens!

UGH i imagine it's worse when they get old enough to know what they are missing out on if you don't buy them their own!
My, how time flies....

Sponsored Links