Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: London suggestions  (Read 658 times)

• Island Life (without the palm trees)
  • Liked: 20
London suggestions
« on: February 15, 2017, 10:07:12 AM »
My amazing husband got us tickets to see Harry Potter and the Cursed Child at the end of April! I don't know which I'm more excited about, the show or the fact that my in-laws will be here so we've got a CHILD FREE WEEKEND. I'm looking for suggestions of places to eat and bars to check out, especially near the theater district. We're definitely more craft beer types than fancy cocktails but I wouldn't mind a classy drink before the show. :)

Also any suggestions for things to do that are particularly fun without kids. We're thinking of Kew Gardens, is that worthwhile?

Then again, we may just stay in the hotel and sleep all day! :)

• Liked: 4985
Re: London suggestions
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2017, 10:51:07 AM »
A child free weekend?!??  Wow, what's that?!?  I've not spent a night away from my kid and she'll be 3 in April (I do NOT think this is normal or healthy by the way, just haven't had the option).  I guess when I go in to deliver #2 I'll finally be able to say I spent the night apart from her.   :P

I'm not overly familiar with London, so I'll leave that to others.  But we do go to Kew from time to time.... it's great with kids!  So I'd probably not make that a big priority.

Things I'm interested in doing:
Climbing the O2
There is a new viewing platform that is FREE on top of the new walkie talkie building in the City.  Great views of the Shard and all of the City as well.

I'd probably spend most of the time in a spa!   ;D

• Liked: 57
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2017, 11:01:53 AM »
We saw HP and the Cursed Child in November and it was GREAT! Well done on tickets! There are tons of places close by that you can go to for dinner. We went to Carluccio's (Italian) which is a favorite of ours. We did make reservations though, as we were there on Saturday, even though our reservation was super early!

Are you seeing the shows on the same day or over two days? If it's same day, you won't have time to do much else that day as it's over 5+ hours just of performance time, with a two-ish hour break in between.

If you're museum-y type people, those are good without kids, as are Westminster or St. Paul's. Also, just wandering around is nice without kids going, "how much longer, my feet are tired, worst day EVER!" every 5 steps or so!
Met at Disneyland Paris: spring 1995
Dated long distance: off & on 2008-2014
Our twin boys were born: Sep 2009
Engaged: Oct 10 2014
Married: December 5 2014
Online Application & paid PRIORITY Submitted: Dec 22 2014
Visa Received: Jan 14 2015
Arrived in the UK: Feb 28 2015
FLR(M) application mailed: Sep 12 2017
FLR(M) approved: Oct 27
SET(M) application submitted: Feb 4 2020 (super priority)
SET(M) appointment: Mar 9
SET(M) approved: Mar 10
Naturalisation app submitted: Jun 19
No biometrics needed email: July 23

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2017, 11:48:30 AM »
I'm always being dragged to Kew Gardens and I've had enough of it.  I couldn't care less about plants. I'm usually the one saying "Worst Day Eva!" Whenever we go.

Sorry I can't help much as we rarely get out without the kids.  Don't forget to check time out for the latest cool events though. 

Certainly try to get a reservation for the sky garden like KFDancer said.

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2017, 11:50:48 AM »
How about Hampton Court Palace?  That's fun with the kids as well but might be worth going without them

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2017, 12:06:08 PM »
I don't think Bodeans smoke house is that far away from the theater and I have to say that their beer selection was not bad at all! Tried Peanut Butter and Jelly beer! haha They always have something I've never tried before.

Depends on what type of food you like though as well as there's always Carnaby Street which has an amazing place to get chicken and waffles, but it's tiny so definitely not something to try if you're running late (it's called Stax Diner). If you like Mexican, there's Wahaca (which I'm not sure if there's one close enough to the theater district) or Cantina Laredo which I believe is walking distance (we ate there before one of our shows).

Tons of amazing places to eat so I can help there. What type of food do you like?
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Island Life (without the palm trees)
  • Liked: 20
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2017, 03:24:09 PM »
Ooh thanks everyone! We're seeing the show over two nights. Our kids are three years and three months old so we might check out some of the museums or gardens, even a three year old gets tired of them after awhile. The baby is having a serious sleep regression right now so the spa and/or sleeping all day sound pretty fantastic!

As far as food, we like nice meals but not overdone (like, no remoulade of duck liver enrobed in a powdered kale cascade). We're also DYING for some decent Mexican, like the authentic street-style stuff we used to get back home.

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2017, 03:32:48 PM »
As far as food, we like nice meals but not overdone (like, no remoulade of duck liver enrobed in a powdered kale cascade). We're also DYING for some decent Mexican, like the authentic street-style stuff we used to get back home.

Here's Wahaca Soho (http://www.wahaca.co.uk/locations/soho/) and here's Cantina Laredo which is Covent Garden which isn't far (http://www.cantinalaredo.co.uk/. Both are excellent from personal experience. What I will say is, however, Cantina Laredo seemed a bit more dressy but Wahacca is definitely more casual/laid back. I prefer Wahaca slightly more. Those are my two Mexican Suggestions!

This is Bodeans Soho (http://bodeansbbq.com/soho/) if you're interested in checking out the beer.

Have fun! :D
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2017, 03:56:01 PM »
This is not for dinner, but for lunch you could go to Chilango's or chipotle, practically right next to each other on London Wall, next to Moorgate Tube.  I prefer Chilango's as proper Mexican Burrito. 

• Liked: 7
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2017, 09:42:34 PM »
Personally I think Kew or Hampton Court are great, but for a grown ups weekend I would pass on them both. They are too far out. If you are staying near the theater, Soho is fun, or Covent Garden. There are lots of great places for a cocktail and food. Soho is a bit crazy on the weekend nights. For Mexican, I would go to El Pastor, which is at Borough Market (foodie paradise) and is the only really good Mexican food we have had in London. We moved here from LA and really miss the Mexican. Shoreditch is also fun and has lots of choices for eating and drinking. Look on TimeOut  https://www.timeout.com/london

Sponsored Links