Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Just a little writing dump I did this morning.  (Read 1087 times)

• Liked: 537
Just a little writing dump I did this morning.
« on: February 17, 2017, 10:45:48 AM »
You’ve got to stop holding your breath sometime.

The air is too… thick here. With the multitudes fighting for space. Fighting to be seen, to be heard. To feel like they matter.

There isn’t anywhere you can go to escape them, not even outside in the ‘National Forest.’ No matter where you go you can see houses and permanent signs of humanity. You even regularly see people or you hear them. Feet crunching on the gravel, bike tires disturbing the rocks.  Laughter as they enjoy each other’s company in their time ‘outdoors.’

And you can hear the traffic from the dual carriageway just a few minutes walk away. The never-ending parade of cars, trucks and motorcycles hurtling down the road disturbing the peace you’re seeking. Whether you’re inside, or outside, you hear the tires eating up the distance and the engines grumbling as they propel their vehicles up the hill.

You can’t escape them in the woods with their permanent, travel worn paths of gravel and pavement. The official signposts and detritus from the disaffected youth and lazy walkers litter the area. There’s train tracks running through the forest that see very little use but take up so much space and add the possibility of danger to you and your four legged companions with their lack of structured timetable.

The woods open up to a man made field bordered by trees and a fence. Your companions can run freely here, as long as there aren’t others about. There are houses on all sides, their lightless windows ever watching the small ‘wild’ space. You can’t escape from people on a small island without traveling some distance by car, to areas where roads are dirt and only wide enough to fit your single, small vehicle.

You could try hiding in your house, one of those curious interconnected row houses that are ubiquitous to the area. It doesn’t give you the peace you seek. The quiet, the disconnectedness you desire. Your home starts to feel like a prison, rooms and walls that aren’t thick enough to block out the sounds of your neighbors.

You start to crave altitude.

The ability to be above your world and look down at the tiny people living their lives. To be in awe of the earth and reminded that you are just one small part of a whole. That everything is connected. That everything is real, very few things are important and that the world is beautiful. Even with all of it’s broken bits, it can be truly awesome in the traditional sense. Awe inspiring.

You want to touch the sky again.

To feel the rush of the wind in your face. Pushing you back on the ledge you are sitting on, the sky a riot of color playing across the clouds. You watch the sun set on the beautiful red rocks.  The same red rocks you look at every day, so often that they became ordinary and just another part of the boring landscape of your life.

Becoming beautiful again because you took the time to consciously disengage from your frantic life and just be you. Sitting on the edge of the world, open sky before you. One small human being, on top of a plateau, watching the sun set. Absorbing the tranquility of that space in time. To be lost in the moment.

You want that. You need that. And you haven’t had it in so long that you can’t stop the tears from falling as you remember that perfect moment.

Then you laugh because of a completely human moment that day. Forgetting your car keys on the ledge of a plateau in the twilight. The scramble to find them by the light of your flip phone so you can make it down the mountain before full dark closes in.

The tightness in your throat eases a little, the yearning isn’t quite so insistent. You can go back on with your day.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 10:51:34 AM by lyonaria »
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 6110
Re: Just a little writing dump I did this morning.
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2017, 11:36:55 AM »
That's lovely writing lyonaria.  :)

Homesick?

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2017, 11:45:28 AM »
Yeah. I'm missing the familiar.

I miss being able to get away from people. It's so hard to do that here. Back in Colorado I could drive 20-30 minutes, park, and not see more than a couple of people and be completely surrounded by public land for miles.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 957
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2017, 02:27:12 AM »
Yeah. I'm missing the familiar.

I miss being able to get away from people. It's so hard to do that here. Back in Colorado I could drive 20-30 minutes, park, and not see more than a couple of people and be completely surrounded by public land for miles.

Great writing!

This is one of my fears for moving. I'm not used to being constantly around people and actually have sensory issues related to sound. I know we will need to budget holiday time, and I plan on going places that are somewhat remote. Hoping we will be able to find a place near his parents in Bournemouth so that the coast & sound of the waves is nearby.

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2017, 02:22:56 PM »
Great writing!

This is one of my fears for moving. I'm not used to being constantly around people and actually have sensory issues related to sound. I know we will need to budget holiday time, and I plan on going places that are somewhat remote. Hoping we will be able to find a place near his parents in Bournemouth so that the coast & sound of the waves is nearby.

Thanks, I've just been in such a funk and missing people and wanting to just be on the edge for awhile. This is the sort of thing I'm talking about. I don't actually have any photos of the actual memory I wrote about though.

margo,
It might be a good idea for you to pick up some noise canceling headphones while you're in the US if you haven't already done so. Electronics are a LOT cheaper in the US than here in the UK, even with the crap exchange rate.

• Liked: 957
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2017, 04:03:13 PM »
Thanks, I've just been in such a funk and missing people and wanting to just be on the edge for awhile. This is the sort of thing I'm talking about. I don't actually have any photos of the actual memory I wrote about though.

margo,
It might be a good idea for you to pick up some noise canceling headphones while you're in the US if you haven't already done so. Electronics are a LOT cheaper in the US than here in the UK, even with the crap exchange rate.
I live in NY, close to Ontario & the Niagara escarpment - memories like that from my able bodied days are prominent in my mind. I can no longer do that because walks of more than a 1/4 mile leave my hips dislocating. I also can't wear headphones for any length of time due to ear & sinus problems, but because of the health issues we're only looking at single family detached homes.

I did enjoy camping and hiking through the Peak District and Lake District on my first visit there a few years ago. You'd run across others, but it was always brief and unobtrusive. And on lake Windermere you could kayak to an island to be fairly isolated. My friend in Switzerland hikes the alps nearly every weekend. Once you have your visa back maybe it's time to plan a trip somewhere that you can reconnect with nature?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links