Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Nurses in the U.K.  (Read 1441 times)

• Liked: 537
Re: Nurses in the U.K.
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2017, 06:21:19 PM »
Thank you. I keep googling but I'm must be doing it wrong bc I don't find all these sites y'all post. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's cause you're in America. When I search for US things I have to remember to add on 'in US' or 'in America' to whatever I'm searching for. Google tailors it's findings to the country you're in, all the way down to the city if you let it know where you are. 
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 1
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2017, 08:33:45 PM »
Oh my Gandalf. You are right! I should have thought of that.

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2017, 09:56:53 PM »
Oh my Gandalf. You are right! I should have thought of that.

It's always the little things, isn't it?  ;D I'm a US copywriter at my job so I'm constantly searching for US stuff and it drives me mental how much effort I have to go through to search. haha.

Hope things go smoothly for you!
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 15
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2017, 10:47:02 PM »
file:///C:/Users/Charlie/Downloads/SNG_-_Pay_Rates_-_Feb_-_2017.pdf

Pay rates for Contract Nurses in Scotland

• Liked: 1
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2017, 06:23:11 PM »
file:///C:/Users/Charlie/Downloads/SNG_-_Pay_Rates_-_Feb_-_2017.pdf

Pay rates for Contract Nurses in Scotland

That doesn't link to anything for me. Is there a particular website I should look at?

« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2017, 06:35:57 PM »
It was a PDF file that the posters computer downloaded. You could try searching with those keywords in Google.

Some places are sneaky and have you download the file but still open the file in your browser. It's weird.

• Liked: 14
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2017, 06:52:37 PM »
https://www.rcn.org.uk/employment-and-pay/nhs-pay-scales-2016-17

Here is the NHS pay scales for Scotland for the different bands.. a general nurse is a band 5.. charge nurses band 6..

• Liked: 957
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2017, 04:34:31 PM »
You mention that your husband won't be able to transfer for 4-5 years, and with the company paying relocation that might be the case. However if you moved following the spousal immigration route, they may allow what's often called a local transfer. He pays his relocation, but is able to start work for the same company in the new location keeping his seniority etc. When I worked for a major bank with UK offices I looked into doing that, but decided I'd had enough of the banking industry and they didn't have offices for my field anywhere I want to live.

• Liked: 4
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2017, 11:41:33 PM »
For what it's worth, I was an ER nurse for 14 years in the states. I briefly worked for the NHS when I came to England, and now work as a Learning Administrator (I'm a whiz with excel and mainly produce management information, i.e. MI reports). My own person experience was that I took a serious pay cut when I moved here. In addition, the educational backgrounds and preparation of the nurses here in the UK didn't equate to what I had undertaken. One example -- I had to have two full semesters of Clinical Pharmacology as part of my RN Degree. We learned all the various drug classes, indications, normal doses, age/clinical condition variances to those dosages, LD 50 (Lethal dose 50), how they acted at a cellular level, etc. A Colleague at the NHS confided in me that her Clinical Pharmacology training was one 7-hour lecture from a Pharmacist. More than once my colleagues told me that here I would be considered a Junior Doctor.

I switched jobs, becoming a Trainer for one of the largest Health Care companies in the UK, and moved from training to administering the learning. I'm still not making as much as I did in the US, but I work 8am-4:30pm Mon-Fri, no Bank Holidays, and 27 day of annual leave a year to go and explore this incredibly beautiful and historic nation. My quality of life is much higher.

I don't know if this helps, but it was the journey that I made and it worked for my wife and I.

Cheers,

Jeb

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab