Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Proof of residence for UK bank account?  (Read 1136 times)

• Liked: 11
Proof of residence for UK bank account?
« on: February 28, 2017, 02:30:31 PM »
Hello, I just moved here on a spouse visa, and wish to open a bank account. The situation is that I live with him and his parents at the moment,  and I have nothing that can prove my residence here, since there are no bills in my name. Is there a way I can do this, so I can show the bank I live here? Library card maybe? I am planning to also join a gym with my husband, but he says the card doesn't have an address on it. Any suggestions?
Thank you!

Sent from my LGMS330 using Tapatalk

• Liked: 4987
Re: Proof of residence for UK bank account?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2017, 02:36:05 PM »
Applying for your provisional UK license could be a good option.  Or applying for your National Insurance number (though that can take about a month to come through).

Chances are you'll need proof of address to register with your GP as well.

• Liked: 223
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2017, 02:38:53 PM »
You can try ordering a DVLA form. It will be a letter with your name and address and that might be enough for the bank.

https://www.gov.uk/dvlaforms

Gets two birds with one stone if you plan on getting your UK licence.

Also keep in mind that you'll need to start collecting documents showing that you and your spouse live together for FLR and ILR.

x-posted with KFdancer
July 2012 - Fiancée Visa | Nov 2012 - Married
Dec 2012 - FLR | Nov 2014 - ILR | Dec 2015 - UK Citizen

• Liked: 11
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2017, 04:58:11 PM »
I applied for my NIN , does that include an address on the card then , when I recieve it?
Also, I don't plan to drive anytime soon, due to my anxiety, but if I just fill out the form, would that be proof enough of my address,  the fact that my name is on the app?

Sent from my LGMS330 using Tapatalk

• Liked: 3597
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2017, 05:04:21 PM »
I applied for my NIN , does that include an address on the card then , when I recieve it?

No, because they don't issue NINs as cards anymore. However, your address will be on the letter they send you with your NIN, and that will be your proof of address

Also, I don't plan to drive anytime soon, due to my anxiety, but if I just fill out the form, would that be proof enough of my address,  the fact that my name is on the app?

You need it to be official mail sent to you at your current address. So, the way to get proof of address is to apply for the Provisional Licence and then when you receive the licence, it will have your address on it (as will the letter they send you with the licence)... and that will be your proof of address.

Even if you don't plan on driving, it's a good idea to apply for a provisional licence anyway, so that you have a form of ID to show... otherwise, you'll only have your passport/BRP card as ID and you don't want to carry them around with you all the time (they should be kept in a safe place at home).

• Liked: 722
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2017, 07:26:10 PM »
I walked into our bank last week to ask this question about our son who will be moving back later this year and staying with us until he buys a place. Along with getting on the electoral role and applying for for a driving licence they also said I could write a letter stating that he was living with us and he could present this along with a council tax bill addressed to me.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

• Liked: 35
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2017, 11:12:23 AM »
While you are waiting for the proof of address your SO could order a second card on his account that you can use. I did this for a friend last year and took about a week to arrive.

Sponsored Links