Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Pancakes!  (Read 2274 times)

• Liked: 4985
Pancakes!
« on: February 28, 2017, 03:38:19 PM »
Happy Pancake Day!  Definitely my favourite British holiday.   ;D

What are you having?  Savory or sweet?  Thin or thick?

I'm making nice thick American pancakes for me and my daughter - breakfast for dinner!  Is there anything better?  She'll probably refuse and think it's silly...  sometimes she is SO British.   ;)

My husband is gluten-free and so he's on his own for dinner.  Before he was diagnosed as Coeliac he turned his nose up at breakfast for dinner, which is why I don't bother making him gluten-free pancakes.   :P

• Liked: 533
Re: Pancakes!
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2017, 04:06:49 PM »
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2017, 04:07:40 PM »

• Liked: 68
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2017, 04:14:38 PM »
Fluffy American style with lashings of butter please :-) Can't wait for tonight (Also doing the breakfast for dinner thing, with sausage too!)

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2017, 04:29:06 PM »
Fluffy American style with lashings of butter please :-) Can't wait for tonight (Also doing the breakfast for dinner thing, with sausage too!)

Ooo, I now want bacon...  I shall ask my husband to stop at the store on his way home!

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2017, 04:33:00 PM »
Thin, crepe-stylem sweet pancakes for me, some with sugar and lemon, others with Nutella :P.

• Britannicaine
  • Liked: 198
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2017, 04:45:49 PM »
Why choose? We're having savoury with mushrooms, spinach, and ricotta, and sweet with lemon and sugar for DH an some ridiculously expensive salted caramel sauce for me.
On s'envolera du même quai
Les yeux dans les mêmes reflets,
Pour cette vie et celle d'après
Tu seras mon unique projet.

Je t'aimais, je t'aime, et je t'aimerai.

--Francis Cabrel

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2017, 05:08:12 PM »
I didn't think of breakfast for dinner!  What a great idea. 

Every once in a while I make blueberry buttermilk pancakes.  Thank god you can get plenty of buttermilk here. 

I think ours tonight are going to be chicken, mushroom and spinach with cream of chicken sauce. 

Afters will be Hershey's sauce and speculos spread with whipped cream.  Although my 13 year old is in charge so who knows.

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2017, 05:14:15 PM »
Why choose? We're having savoury with mushrooms, spinach, and ricotta, and sweet with lemon and sugar for DH an some ridiculously expensive salted caramel sauce for me.

I like your thinking!!  Why choose, indeed?

• Liked: 533
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2017, 06:04:01 PM »
Hershey's sauce

In the little tin can? I can drink a can of that stuff straight.
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 537
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2017, 06:22:06 PM »
Happy Pancake Day!  Definitely my favourite British holiday.   ;D

What are you having?  Savory or sweet?  Thin or thick?

I'm making nice thick American pancakes for me and my daughter - breakfast for dinner!  Is there anything better?  She'll probably refuse and think it's silly...  sometimes she is SO British.   ;)

My husband is gluten-free and so he's on his own for dinner.  Before he was diagnosed as Coeliac he turned his nose up at breakfast for dinner, which is why I don't bother making him gluten-free pancakes.   :P
Breakfast for dinner is awesome!

We used to do waffles sometimes, now its just eggs, bacon, toast and home fries. Mmm-mm so nice.

We're having sweet ones, fresh raspberries and whipped cream with a bit of powder sugar.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 21
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2017, 07:02:35 PM »
Back in my neck of the woods of northern Ohio, paczki are traditional (pronounced "poonch-key," they're jam doughnuts made popular by Polish immigrants). From what I've read this is largely a regional Midwestern thing. They're ridiculously popular on Fat Tuesday. There's a local bakery near my parents' house that's very renowned for their paczki- customers come from all over Ohio for them and will line up as early as 5am on Fat Tuesday! My family gets them every year. 

No pancakes tonight, though I do love breakfast for dinner too!
4/2015 Married
7/2015 Spousal visa granted
8/2015 Moved to England
10/2020 ILR granted

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2017, 07:40:31 PM »
In the little tin can? I can drink a can of that stuff straight.

Dude, it's not the 1950s!

• Britannicaine
  • Liked: 198
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2017, 08:57:20 PM »
Back in my neck of the woods of northern Ohio, paczki are traditional (pronounced "poonch-key," they're jam doughnuts made popular by Polish immigrants). From what I've read this is largely a regional Midwestern thing.

In Wisconsin, it's German apple pancakes or pannekake--Norwegian pancakes. It's fascinating how regional US cultures are influenced by the immigrant groups who settled there.
On s'envolera du même quai
Les yeux dans les mêmes reflets,
Pour cette vie et celle d'après
Tu seras mon unique projet.

Je t'aimais, je t'aime, et je t'aimerai.

--Francis Cabrel

• Liked: 111
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2017, 09:39:20 PM »
I'm glad that y'all have gotten really into the spirit of "Pancake Day" and are enjoying your creative toppings. They seem tasty.

For me, Pancake Day was, by far, the most depressing celebration day to me when I lived there. Thanksgiving or Christmas aren't a big deal to me. You can have a roast pretty much all year round over there so the food isn't so different really. Thanksgiving is especially sad as November 24th was my mother's birthday and Thanksgiving often lands on that day. This last one was 35 years that she's been deceased. For Christmas, my sister visits her children in Dallas and Alaska since our father has been deceased a while too.
Now, Mardi Gras is MY holiday! I moved from far west Texas to Houston and the Gulf Coast when I was 19. I loved the whole celebration of all things Cajun. What's not to like about partying on Galveston Island, getting your drink on with too many Abita beers and Hurricanes, having gumbo, etouffee, crawfish boils, po-boys, beads, king cake, parades, Zydeco music? I always got a chuckle when the Catholic priest on Ash Wednesday had to remind the party revelers to not breathe too close to the candles for the fear of catching yourself on fire. Those were good times. I moved to the UK and Anthea Turner and Eamon Holmes from GMTV were on and on about "how to make the perfect pancake". It was the only time I was ever really homesick.

So, I'll be thinking of all of you tonight since I'm off to a crawfish and shrimp boil with a few cases of Abita Purple Haze. I'll save y'all a piece of King Cake and throw a few beads on your behalf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links