Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Pancakes!  (Read 2272 times)

• Liked: 537
Re: Pancakes!
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2017, 10:18:27 PM »
In Wisconsin, it's German apple pancakes or pannekake--Norwegian pancakes. It's fascinating how regional US cultures are influenced by the immigrant groups who settled there.

Oooh, are those like panakuken? They're basically like a giant popover that sometimes has apples on the bottom/top once it's flipped.There's a restaurant we used to go to in MN that would bring them out in the cast iron pan fresh out of the oven shouting 'panakuken' to make sure people got out of the way. It was awesome! I'm pretty sure it was actually called Panekukan. haha.

ETA:The restuarant, I mean. I think it was named after the signature dish.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 10:20:05 PM by lyonaria »
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 154
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2017, 10:30:34 PM »
Oh man we didn't have pancakes today but now I wish we did. People at work were appalled that we have breakfast for dinner. They don't know what their missing lol.

• Britannicaine
  • Liked: 198
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2017, 10:42:47 PM »
Oooh, are those like panakuken? They're basically like a giant popover that sometimes has apples on the bottom/top once it's flipped.There's a restaurant we used to go to in MN that would bring them out in the cast iron pan fresh out of the oven shouting 'panakuken' to make sure people got out of the way. It was awesome! I'm pretty sure it was actually called Panekukan. haha.

ETA:The restuarant, I mean. I think it was named after the signature dish.

Yeah, that's it. I think pannekoeken is the Dutch word. It's probably similar in German, but we just called it German apple pancake. The German version is a bit heavier than the Dutch one, but it's essentially the same idea. Pannekake is the Norwegian pancake, which is basically a British-style thin pancake. We used to have German apple pancakes for brunch and sometimes for dinner.
On s'envolera du même quai
Les yeux dans les mêmes reflets,
Pour cette vie et celle d'après
Tu seras mon unique projet.

Je t'aimais, je t'aime, et je t'aimerai.

--Francis Cabrel

• Liked: 1
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2017, 01:39:51 AM »
So I saw this thread earlier today and it made me want pancakes. So we had pancakes, sausage, and eggs for dinner. Thanks for the inspiration!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Liked: 585
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2017, 07:53:29 AM »
In the little tin can? I can drink a can of that stuff straight.

LOL!!  I'm old enough to remember the little tins!  You had to open it with that kind of tin opener that makes a little triangular hole...

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2017, 10:43:12 AM »
Because the French can't abide fish for breakfast , we have had to re-classify smoked salmon and cream cheese bagels as dinner.  I don't mind, but when I'm by myself I always make it for breakfast. 

• Liked: 57
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2017, 12:32:43 PM »

My kids were thrilled with breakfast for dinner!
Met at Disneyland Paris: spring 1995
Dated long distance: off & on 2008-2014
Our twin boys were born: Sep 2009
Engaged: Oct 10 2014
Married: December 5 2014
Online Application & paid PRIORITY Submitted: Dec 22 2014
Visa Received: Jan 14 2015
Arrived in the UK: Feb 28 2015
FLR(M) application mailed: Sep 12 2017
FLR(M) approved: Oct 27
SET(M) application submitted: Feb 4 2020 (super priority)
SET(M) appointment: Mar 9
SET(M) approved: Mar 10
Naturalisation app submitted: Jun 19
No biometrics needed email: July 23

• Liked: 533
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2017, 05:20:09 PM »
You had to open it with that kind of tin opener that makes a little triangular hole...

Church key.

I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 21
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2017, 11:56:13 AM »
The first restaurant my husband and I ate at together was Bob Evans (I was 21 and he was 23... babies!). I ordered blueberry pancakes and he had the same. It was his first time in America and he never had American style pancakes before. He tasted them and was like "oh wow, this is just like pudding." I had no idea what he meant. The only "pudding" I knew was the kind you make out of a packet, or premade in those little plastic cups. I didn't ask him to clarify at the time, but I just figured that pudding had a different meaning in the UK.  ;)

To this day, American style blueberry pancakes are one of his favorite breakfasts. I have a great recipe.
4/2015 Married
7/2015 Spousal visa granted
8/2015 Moved to England
10/2020 ILR granted

« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2017, 10:36:19 AM »
Go on then Karlee, give us your recipe.  I'd like to try something different. 

Here's the recipe I use, it's from "White Trash Cooking "

I use two of those containers of buttermilk they sell in the store.  Before you cook, you can thin out the batter with plain milk and add the blueberries.  I also use self raising flour and skip the baking soda and baking powder. 

I heat the oven to a low temperature and put a plate in there.  As I make the pancakes, I stack them on the plate so we can all eat together once I've cooked them all. 

Sometimes the kids separate some of the batter and add food colouring, then you can make rainbow pancakes

• Liked: 21
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2017, 05:25:00 PM »
White Trash Cooking, I love it! Looks like a good recipe.

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/4915/american-blueberry-pancakes

Ironically, it's a British recipe. Just stumbled on it when I was Googling recipes for blueberry pancakes. Now it's my go-to.
4/2015 Married
7/2015 Spousal visa granted
8/2015 Moved to England
10/2020 ILR granted

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2017, 05:30:07 PM »
White Trash Cooking, I love it! Looks like a good recipe.

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/4915/american-blueberry-pancakes

Ironically, it's a British recipe. Just stumbled on it when I was Googling recipes for blueberry pancakes. Now it's my go-to.

Looks great :).

My second-to-last Sunday in Antarctica, one of the pilots (who is Canadian) did his annual tradition of making blueberry pancakes with maple syrup for everyone on the base (about 80 people) :). They were really good (though I had something of a hangover that day so couldn't eat much) :).

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2017, 05:28:11 PM »
Hershey's Syrup is still available in a tin. 

I used to make chocolate milk with so much syrup, that it would not only mix up, but it would gather to the bottom and I could slurp it with a spoon. Pure chocolate goodness!   
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 533
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2017, 07:33:39 PM »
it would not only mix up, but it would gather to the bottom and I could slurp it with a spoon. Pure chocolate goodness!

You had to stir like a mad man.
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2017, 11:11:52 AM »
Hershey's Syrup is still available in a tin. 

I used to make chocolate milk with so much syrup, that it would not only mix up, but it would gather to the bottom and I could slurp it with a spoon. Pure chocolate goodness!

Looks like my kids need a can of that so they can understand their cultural heritage.  I take cultural heritage very seriously.

Sponsored Links