Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Couple of questions about deposit...  (Read 1260 times)

• Liked: 57
Couple of questions about deposit...
« on: March 01, 2017, 12:54:46 PM »
I wanted to ask a question about the inventory when renting. When we moved in to our current house 2 years ago, my DH was mailed the inventory because he was out of town. We never signed it or sent it back (I just found it in our files, I didn't even know about it until a week ago.). I also noticed that my name was listed on the front, but instead of my husband, some random other person is listed. I'm guessing this doesn't make a difference, but I'm wondering...

a) since we haven't ever signed the inventory, what recourse does the agency have if there are discrepancies?
b) does having someone else's name on the document give us any leverage if there are discrepancies?
c) there's a hole in our living room ceiling slowly spreading from the en suite shower that's been leaking for OVER A YEAR that we are worried they're going to somehow try to charge us for...despite us informing the landlord multiple times (they've "fixed it" 3 times, it keeps starting to leak again). We do have texts that my DH has sent over the past year, and also I think I took some photos but I'd have to find them.
Met at Disneyland Paris: spring 1995
Dated long distance: off & on 2008-2014
Our twin boys were born: Sep 2009
Engaged: Oct 10 2014
Married: December 5 2014
Online Application & paid PRIORITY Submitted: Dec 22 2014
Visa Received: Jan 14 2015
Arrived in the UK: Feb 28 2015
FLR(M) application mailed: Sep 12 2017
FLR(M) approved: Oct 27
SET(M) application submitted: Feb 4 2020 (super priority)
SET(M) appointment: Mar 9
SET(M) approved: Mar 10
Naturalisation app submitted: Jun 19
No biometrics needed email: July 23

• Liked: 35
Re: Couple of questions about deposit...
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2017, 01:22:19 PM »
I just wrote a long post about this on the other thread. Check the renting/housing section of the moneysavingexpert forums as there are tons of information. IIRC without a dual-signed inventory the landlord might not be able to make any claims against your deposit and will lose at arbitration. Anyway, check on that other forum.

If you didn't cause the leaks (e.g overflowing washbasin), then I would think you would be OK regarding the ceiling. If it was your fault surely they would have charged you for the previous repairs. If they didn't then I would see that as admission that it is their problem.

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2017, 01:42:14 PM »
Might be worth it to start gathering evidence and documentation now.  If you move out in a couple of years, you could lose emails and random pieces of paper.  I'd make a folder with copies now.

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2017, 01:53:56 PM »
Might be worth it to start gathering evidence and documentation now.  If you move out in a couple of years, you could lose emails and random pieces of paper.  I'd make a folder with copies now.
We are moving out in two weeks!

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2017, 02:03:30 PM »
I just wrote a long post about this on the other thread. Check the renting/housing section of the moneysavingexpert forums as there are tons of information. IIRC without a dual-signed inventory the landlord might not be able to make any claims against your deposit and will lose at arbitration. Anyway, check on that other forum.

If you didn't cause the leaks (e.g overflowing washbasin), then I would think you would be OK regarding the ceiling. If it was your fault surely they would have charged you for the previous repairs. If they didn't then I would see that as admission that it is their problem.

Yes, it was your comment on the other thread that made me think of this, but I didn't want to hijack that post. It was definitely not our fault, it's a leaking shower tray that the plumber is too lazy to fix correctly (just keeps recaulking).

Sponsored Links