I'm wondering if my situation puts my timeline so short that I should give up on submitting my application for a settlement (spouse) visa. My facts are as follows.
I used advise from 1st Global.
I paid UK Settlement visa fees (with a UK spouse) on 28 Feb 2017. The payment went through 1st Contact. I don't recall the reason, but my adviser said that we needed to pay priority processing fees the next day.
My person at 1st Contact also had arranged an appointment for me in St. Louis USA on 3 March for biometric collection information. My visa application dossier was complete (except for the biometric stamp and return shipping label at that time and it reads Settlement - spouse.
Prior to my trip to St. Louis, I obtained a return shipping label through VFSGlobal. When I entered personal information to receive this shipping label, I incorrectly marked "Long-Stay" visa, rather than Settlement visa.
The next day my 1st contact person said that my error caused us to be unable to pay for priority processing. She told me to go to St. Louis and get the biometric stuff done. She though that they should be able to get the error fixed, and receive my payment for the the priority processing fee.
I got to St.Louis and was told that all they did was fingerprinting and photographing. They accept no fee payment and fix no errors.I did the biometrics.
When I got back home, I contacted VFSGlobal. I was told a mishmash of things, particularly that they do not process settlement visas, and when I had my biometric information processed the application was officially in and no changes could be made (why wasn't I told this first?).
I have let my adviser know about this, but no calls until she gets to work on Monday.
My question: What is the likelihood that, if I ship my application in on March 5 (after a talk with my adviser), I will have my visa and passport back by May 1. We fly out on May 2, and our first lease runs for 5 months. Time is getting tight, which is why I wanted priority processing.
Any information that you can offer on the time a standard settlement-spouse application gets processed and visa and passport returned (from your experience) would help me decide what to do.
I can roll the dice and send in the application -- if that fails I wait until I get my passport back (whenever). Then, I pay the horrible fees for a flight that's rescheduled for 2 people under these conditions. I'm also paying for unused rent in London. Caching. Caching. Or,I give up on my application, travel for fewer than 6 months, return and try again. Lost UK fees and 1st Contact fees. Caching. Caching.