Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: 65 year old American and 58 year old UK citizen currently living in US  (Read 1344 times)

• Liked: 0
My wife has dual citizenship (US & UK). She has family currently living in the UK.  I am a US citizen. We reside the US and are hoping to move to the UK soon. I am 65 yrs old. She is 58. We are hoping to buy a house in Somerset or Dorset with an annex that we can rent out (Air B&B). Presently, my full time work is as a consultant. My wife owns a retail business that we will likely sell before the move.
We will have considerable assets (cash) after we liquidate our properties in the US.  I need to investigate all that this move entails, (particularly moving $$'s) and am hoping to get guidance on how to do this move. Can anyone point me in the right direction, other than the gov.UK web site?
Thanks very much.

• Liked: 6110
My wife has dual citizenship (US & UK). She has family currently living in the UK.  I am a US citizen. We reside the US and are hoping to move to the UK soon. I am 65 yrs old. She is 58. We are hoping to buy a house in Somerset or Dorset with an annex that we can rent out (Air B&B). Presently, my full time work is as a consultant. My wife owns a retail business that we will likely sell before the move.
We will have considerable assets (cash) after we liquidate our properties in the US.  I need to investigate all that this move entails, (particularly moving $$'s) and am hoping to get guidance on how to do this move. Can anyone point me in the right direction, other than the gov.UK web site?
Thanks very much.

Hi danpt. Welcome!

In your situation, you will need to apply for a spouse visa as I am sure you are aware.
Unfortunately, as unpalatable as it may be, the information on the .gov site is going to be essential for you.
From what you have explained, you should have no problems meeting the requirements for a successful application; financial, relationship and accommodation, so it's just a question of providing the correct evidence, in the correct format to UKVI.

This is essential reading. https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/525708/Appendix_FM_1_7_Financial_Requirement.pdf

As far as bringing money over, I use Transferwise and thoroughly recommend their service.  https://transferwise.com

• Liked: 0
Thanks larabee for your response.  I'll get working on it and will no doubt be back on this thread with other questions/issues. Cheers!

• Liked: 6110
Thanks larabee for your response.  I'll get working on it and will no doubt be back on this thread with other questions/issues. Cheers!

You're welcome!  :)

You have actually posted this in the Healthcare section of the forum and although it's not a big deal to continue here, you may find you get more of an audience by posting in the visa forum. 

http://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?board=17.0

If you have a read of some of the threads there, it'll also give you a better feel of just what's involved with the application.

Feel free to ask away with all your other questions also!  :)

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab