Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Set up bank account before arriving?  (Read 564 times)

• Liked: 0
Set up bank account before arriving?
« on: March 02, 2017, 02:07:44 AM »
I have a US Barclays bank account and have US/UK passports.  Thinking about making the jump over.  Based on what I am seeing it says go to a UK branch to open the account.  I says I need proof of address.  But how will I get a place without having a bank account to pay for it?  I really don't want to bring a wad of cash over with me if I can help it.

Any suggestions?

• Liked: 4985
Re: Set up bank account before arriving?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2017, 09:28:51 AM »
Opening a bank account will be one of the hardest things you will do!  You can't open a bank account without proof of address.... and you can't sign a lease without a bank account.  It's a big catch 22!

We all manage to overcome it in many different ways.  Where will you be staying when you first move over?  If it's with friends or family, hopefully they will be okay with you setting something up in your name to get a piece of mail to get a bank account opened.  If it's corporate housing and you are relocating with an employer, hopefully they will assist.  If you are in a hotel-type accommodation, the letting agent should let you transfer your money from the US to the UK, though they may want six months rent plus deposit up front.

You'll get there, but it WILL be frustrating!

Sponsored Links