Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: US Passport pictures  (Read 4048 times)

• Liked: 1
US Passport pictures
« on: March 05, 2017, 04:31:24 PM »
Can anyone recommend a place to get US-approved passport pictures made? I have the requirements printed out from the London embassy, but I live in east Kent (the outer edge of the world, as far as I'm concerned) and don't know where to go. I just realized my US passport has expired (only by a couple of days) and don't want to delay.

Thanks for any advice. 

Jane

• Liked: 3595
Re: US Passport pictures
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2017, 04:43:19 PM »
You can get them done at Snappy Snaps, although they can be expensive. Apparently Timpsons now do them as well: https://www.timpson.co.uk/services/passport-photos

Another option is to take the photos yourself at home and print them to the correct size.

• Liked: 537
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2017, 04:45:25 PM »
Can anyone recommend a place to get US-approved passport pictures made? I have the requirements printed out from the London embassy, but I live in east Kent (the outer edge of the world, as far as I'm concerned) and don't know where to go. I just realized my US passport has expired (only by a couple of days) and don't want to delay.

Thanks for any advice. 

Jane

Honestly, I just use the little booths in the grocery store or shopping centres. You get a quality photo and they're available in US and UK passport sizes and it costs 5GBP for 5 photos. You get three photo attempts for the photo too. They're called Photo-Me booths here in Derbyshire. I used them for the last 2 visa apps. :)
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2017, 04:59:15 PM »
Honestly, I just use the little booths in the grocery store or shopping centres. You get a quality photo and they're available in US and UK passport sizes and it costs 5GBP for 5 photos. You get three photo attempts for the photo too. They're called Photo-Me booths here in Derbyshire. I used them for the last 2 visa apps. :)

I was going to mention this might be possible, but I couldn't remember if those photo booths did actually let you print US photo sizes now or not.

Thanks for confirming that they do :).

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2017, 05:05:34 PM »
I was going to mention this might be possible, but I couldn't remember if those photo booths did actually let you print US photo sizes now or not.

Thanks for confirming that they do :).

Quite welcome! They're really easy to use and I've gotten nice photos from them the last two times I've used them. It's not the machine's fault my hair looks like crap right now.

You might be able to call their customer service number to see if there is one nearby? 0800 035 6600 (it's the number off my photo page I just used in Feb)
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2017, 05:34:11 PM »
According to the embassy website, they will not accept photo booth photos or homemade ones. There are no Snappy Snaps around here. They used to have one in Canterbury but it's not there....they did my last ones. I'll try the Timpson's tomorrow. Sigh...at least I can still do it by mail and won't have to go into London!

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2017, 05:53:45 PM »
According to the embassy website, they will not accept photo booth photos or homemade ones.

Which part of the website does it mention this?

I'm just looking at the Passport Requirements page on the US Embassy website and it does not mention anything about not being able to use photo booths and also seems to imply that homemade photos CAN be used:
https://uk.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/photo-requirements/

Digitized Photographs

If you choose to submit digitized photographs, they must meet the passport photograph requirements or they will be rejected. Some printers will produce an unacceptable photograph in which the dots are seen, or the image is grainy. Acceptable photographs are printed on high-quality photographic paper, have a continuous tone image that is very photo-like, and show the subject clearly in focus.

Passport Photographers

Provided the photographs meet the specified requirements for American passports as listed above, any photographer may take them. The Embassy cannot recommend any specific photographer, or assume any responsibility for their efficiency, integrity, or reliability. Fees and the service provided are a matter solely between you and photographer selected.

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2017, 06:07:23 PM »
Which part of the website does it mention this?

It's here: https://uk.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/u-s-passports/u-s-passport-faqs/photographs-faqs/

FYI "Are photographs from UK photo booths acceptable? No. These booths provide photos for British and European passports. The U.S. has different requirements and we will not be able to accept photos from these booths."

and

"Photographs printed on a home computer:  We will not accept photographs printed on home computer."

Hope that helps.

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2017, 06:23:54 PM »
It's here: https://uk.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/u-s-passports/u-s-passport-faqs/photographs-faqs/

Ah, okay - cool. I didn't see that.
FYI "Are photographs from UK photo booths acceptable? No. These booths provide photos for British and European passports. The U.S. has different requirements and we will not be able to accept photos from these booths."

I would argue that this information is out of date and that photo booth photos could be used now... because their reasoning for not accepting them is that they don't print US-sized photos.

This used to be the case, but in the last couple of years, most UK photo booths now allow you to print US-sized passport photos, so there should be no reason why they can't be accepted.

"Photographs printed on a home computer:  We will not accept photographs printed on home computer."

I do wonder about this as well, because I know of people here on the forum who have used photos printed on photo paper from home computers for US passport and US visa applications and they have been accepted.

I have applied for 4 US visas myself and each time I got my photos from Snappy Snaps... but that was before UK photo booths allowed you to print US-sized passport photos, and I didn't have any other choice.

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2017, 06:25:09 PM »

and

Hope that helps.

I'm pretty sure that they won't accept photobooth photos from the UK when they are done to UK passport photo sizes. The UK photos are smaller than the US photos by a LOT. I'd suggest looking for the US passport threads and see if anyone else mentions where to get them done then if you'd rather not do that. It probably won't be inexpensive.

Everyone I've seen on here has used the booths and an online site that you print yourself. But that doesn't fit the requirements you've linked to. I can't think of anyone saying they didn't get their new passports though.

• Liked: 35
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2017, 09:53:48 PM »
Max Spielman.

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2017, 09:12:18 AM »
Paspic.com is awesome too.  Cheap and delivered straight to your house.  You take the photo at home, they make sure it fits the requirements, print, and send.  Just as good as a studio - BUT you get to approve the photo.   ;D

• Liked: 85
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2017, 11:45:55 AM »
Renewed my passport in November using US-sized photos from a UK photobooth without issue. (The one in the tube station at the end of my road offers UK-sized, US-sized and India-sized photos.) Cost me eight-bloody-quid to generate sheet of mugshots, but apparently the US government isn't worried by the serial killer look or the provenance of the photos, so long as they're the correct size.

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2017, 12:41:08 PM »
Thanks, everyone. I've now got them done (Tesco!) (£7.99 for four) and am waiting for the DX Courier Service to reply.

• Liked: 57
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2017, 02:00:30 PM »
Well, never mind, since you've had them done already, but I was going to say there's a website IDphotos 4 you (I think that's it) you just take your own photos and upload them to their site, and then download the correct size you need and have them printed at Boots or Tesco or wherever near you that does prints.

Also, the US Embassy has a photo booth there inside; I saw it when I got my kids' passports renewed.
Met at Disneyland Paris: spring 1995
Dated long distance: off & on 2008-2014
Our twin boys were born: Sep 2009
Engaged: Oct 10 2014
Married: December 5 2014
Online Application & paid PRIORITY Submitted: Dec 22 2014
Visa Received: Jan 14 2015
Arrived in the UK: Feb 28 2015
FLR(M) application mailed: Sep 12 2017
FLR(M) approved: Oct 27
SET(M) application submitted: Feb 4 2020 (super priority)
SET(M) appointment: Mar 9
SET(M) approved: Mar 10
Naturalisation app submitted: Jun 19
No biometrics needed email: July 23

Sponsored Links