Author Topic: Planning to relocate to Colchester in August 2017 - have cats  (Read 79 times)

Offline farmgirl

• Liked: 0
Hello,
We're an American family but my husband has dual citizenship (American/Irish).  We're in the process of working on our EEA Family permits and plan on relocating to Colchester (for schooling) in August.

We have found a rental home; unfortunately they don't accept pets.  As everything else about the rental is ideal, and we can leave our cats back at our home (which we'll be renting out to good friends) we'll just worry about getting ourselves over to Colchester and settling in.

However, assuming we settle in and like being there, we'll want to eventually bring our cats.  So, we'll need to find a pet-friendly home to rent (easier to do when we're there versus here).  The more difficult part is that we have five cats.  We may opt to not bring them all, but would probably like to bring at least three.  From the limited research we've done, it seems like if we go with a pet courier service, it can be extremely expensive.  I would like to find out from others what options we might have.

Offline KFdancer

• Liked: 470
Re: Planning to relocate to Colchester in August 2017 - have cats
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2017, 05:27:40 PM »
Bringing animals in through Europe is supposed to be much much cheaper.  You can fly them into Paris or Amsterdam, then transport to the UK.  It's hard for people to do this when initially moving, as they aren't set up in the UK.  But as you'll be doing it later (after you have a place to live and a car and such), it should be do-able.

Something to look into anyways!

Offline farmgirl

• Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2017, 06:04:30 PM »
That is a very interesting idea to look into!  That's for that tip.  Do you know much about this, or how I might go about looking into it?  Yes, once we are set up and settled, we can tackle this. 

The thought is that we make sure we are happy first and want to stay for more than a year, before we subject our cats to a move. 

Offline KFdancer

• Liked: 470
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2017, 08:12:17 PM »
I only know about it from reading a few people who have done it on here.  The big advantage is that the animals do NOT need to fly as cargo.  Therefore they can fly either in the cabin under the seat or as a checked item, reducing the cost by easily $1000 per animal.  Best to contact the airlines that have a flight route you like and ask them the details.  You'll still have to clear the animals for the UK which is a few hundred ££, but you can have a huge savings on the flights themselves.