Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Five Guys  (Read 5625 times)

• Liked: 4985
Five Guys
« on: March 09, 2017, 01:43:02 PM »
I made an appointment with Apple today as both my work and personal phones were having issues.  Timed it around lunch since there is a Five Guys near the Apple shop in Reading.

I had a little cheeseburger (single patty), small fry, and a coke.  It was £11.28!!!  I love Five Guys.  But honestly, how can they justify that price for a greasy meal handed to you in a brown paper bag?  It was delicious and I certainly enjoyed it, but really shouldn't have cost more than £6.50....

• Liked: 68
Re: Five Guys
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2017, 02:06:25 PM »
I love Five Guys but do see it as you get what you pay for. Everything is fresh, no freezers (supposedly). It is pricey but I definitely see it more as a quality treat and not really like fast food joint like McDonald's.

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2017, 02:22:09 PM »
True, it is fresh and delicious.

And my husband is Coeliac and is very sensitive to cross contamination from gluten and he has never had an issue eating there - which is worth the cost alone.  BUT...  it's still a lot of money for lunch for one...

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2017, 02:43:29 PM »
I worked right there for 5 years and ate out most days.
If I had known, I could have recommended a few of my favourite places -

Chennnai Dosa is a very authentic Indian pancake restaurant.  Try the fried cheese.  It's on king's rd and abbey square. 

There's an amazing Jamaican place around the corner on High Street that has really good oxtail.  You have to pick the meat off the tail bones but it is soo good.  It comes with rice and beans and mac and cheese.

Then there's always Mission Burrito in the Oracle. 

5 guys is OK , but nothing to write home about. 

• Liked: 57
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2017, 02:45:28 PM »
I agree. Me and my 2 kids get 3 grilled cheeses and share fries and a drink and it's about £18. Add in my step-son and it goes up to £28!
Met at Disneyland Paris: spring 1995
Dated long distance: off & on 2008-2014
Our twin boys were born: Sep 2009
Engaged: Oct 10 2014
Married: December 5 2014
Online Application & paid PRIORITY Submitted: Dec 22 2014
Visa Received: Jan 14 2015
Arrived in the UK: Feb 28 2015
FLR(M) application mailed: Sep 12 2017
FLR(M) approved: Oct 27
SET(M) application submitted: Feb 4 2020 (super priority)
SET(M) appointment: Mar 9
SET(M) approved: Mar 10
Naturalisation app submitted: Jun 19
No biometrics needed email: July 23

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2017, 09:10:34 PM »
We never go with my stepson. He's the pickiest eater ever and only has a plain burger. He wanted to try it so I thought he'd be adventurous. Nope. £5 for a plain burger (or thereabouts). My husband and I will never take him with us again :-P More worth it for my husband and I for sure. It's still the best burger I've had here.

• Liked: 537
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2017, 10:43:45 PM »
We never go with my stepson. He's the pickiest eater ever and only has a plain burger. He wanted to try it so I thought he'd be adventurous. Nope. £5 for a plain burger (or thereabouts). My husband and I will never take him with us again :-P More worth it for my husband and I for sure. It's still the best burger I've had here.

You should try Byron Burger, they've got more than 50 locations here in the UK, price is about the same as Five guys but it's an actual restaurant rather than fast food. They have awesome fries, their milkshakes are bomb and I LOVED their burgers. I'm picky about burgers here, sometimes the meat just tastes gross...
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 957
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2017, 01:17:55 AM »
I ate at Byron Burger with no issues when I was visiting my husband and we were in Kensington (actually spending a day sightseeing at the palace!) - They had so many safe foods it was amazing.

Five Guys is a ripoff in the US, it's downright wasteful in the UK. Wow. I never get sick eating there, but the location down the street from my house always has sad soggy fries. Not worth it!

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2017, 03:15:38 PM »
You should try Byron Burger, they've got more than 50 locations here in the UK, price is about the same as Five guys but it's an actual restaurant rather than fast food. They have awesome fries, their milkshakes are bomb and I LOVED their burgers. I'm picky about burgers here, sometimes the meat just tastes gross...

I'd try it! Pretty sure I've seen one in Manchester. In fact I think I may have looked at the menu before and saw they have Cream Soda? Made me think it was American cream soda, and not the horrible stuff they try to call create soda here!

Which reminds me, another good thing about Five Guys is I can have strawberry Fanta!

• Liked: 533
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 154
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2017, 09:00:06 PM »
Has anybody had smash burger in the states? It was my favourite burger place before I moved. I saw one in Milton Keynes last weekend and wondered if it was the same..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Liked: 537
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2017, 09:16:46 PM »
Has anybody had smash burger in the states? It was my favourite burger place before I moved. I saw one in Milton Keynes last weekend and wondered if it was the same..

Well had a few in my town, but they did close down. They were loverly!
Loved the herbed fries.

Not sure if they are the same though.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 111
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2017, 12:34:06 AM »

Yes, it's the same company as in the US and they're expanding at a good pace. So, it's good news for you guys over there :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Liked: 57
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2017, 09:11:05 AM »
Yes, it's the same company as in the US and they're expanding at a good pace. So, it's good news for you guys over there :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really?! I would much prefer Smashburger to 5 Guys!!
Met at Disneyland Paris: spring 1995
Dated long distance: off & on 2008-2014
Our twin boys were born: Sep 2009
Engaged: Oct 10 2014
Married: December 5 2014
Online Application & paid PRIORITY Submitted: Dec 22 2014
Visa Received: Jan 14 2015
Arrived in the UK: Feb 28 2015
FLR(M) application mailed: Sep 12 2017
FLR(M) approved: Oct 27
SET(M) application submitted: Feb 4 2020 (super priority)
SET(M) appointment: Mar 9
SET(M) approved: Mar 10
Naturalisation app submitted: Jun 19
No biometrics needed email: July 23

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2017, 10:34:41 AM »
You know what I would like to see?  Wendy's!  I'm almost certain that there used to be a Wendy's in the UK around 1998.  Last time we traveled home, I mistakenly introduced the wife and kids to Wendy's and for the rest of the trip they wouldn't eat anywhere else.  I had to fight for my right to eat at Taco Bell. 

Sponsored Links