Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Five Guys  (Read 5588 times)

• Liked: 537
Re: Five Guys
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2017, 10:54:46 AM »
You know what I would like to see?  Wendy's!  I'm almost certain that there used to be a Wendy's in the UK around 1998.  Last time we traveled home, I mistakenly introduced the wife and kids to Wendy's and for the rest of the trip they wouldn't eat anywhere else.  I had to fight for my right to eat at Taco Bell. 

There did used to be Wendy's, I Googled it awhile back. I can't remember when they closed down though. Definitely over 20 years, so your guess is pretty close.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2017, 11:06:34 AM »
It's a traumatic memory for me.  We had been living in Prague for a few years I hadn't been home for a long time.  We were visiting the UK and on the last day of the visit we had spent all our pounds and Didn't want to change any more money.  Then I saw the Wendy's !  My wife ruled with an iron fist and wouldn't let me do anything but go inside and smell and dream of a Frosty.  I wanted that Wendy burger soo much.  The memory still makes me cry a bit.

• Liked: 111
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2017, 12:42:04 PM »
You know what I would like to see?  Wendy's!  I'm almost certain that there used to be a Wendy's in the UK around 1998.  Last time we traveled home, I mistakenly introduced the wife and kids to Wendy's and for the rest of the trip they wouldn't eat anywhere else.  I had to fight for my right to eat at Taco Bell.

I used to live in Reading in 1996 and it was a bleak, American-free (ish) wasteland. Then one day we travelled to South Wales to visit the brother-in-law and his wife. Low and behold, there was a Wendy's at a service station outside of Cardiff. It even had the square burgers, a salad bar and chili. It did indeed bring a tear to my eye. We visited that Cardiff service station again in late 1997 and it was no longer there. But it was around that year that Reading got a Subway...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2017, 12:44:53 PM »
LorensUK, you don't mean the Subway down by the canal?  That was grim.

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2017, 12:47:32 PM »
Wendy's?  Really?  We really all do have different preferences, don't we?   ;D

I'd kill for a Chick-fil-a.  They did a pop up in London last year but I was unable to go.  They did another one this year in Manchester.  Supposedly to train on customer service but I can't help but have hope that they'll follow Five Guys suit and expand into the UK.   :)

• Liked: 111
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2017, 12:54:38 PM »
LorensUK, you don't mean the Subway down by the canal?  That was grim.

No, it was in the town centre on a corner. When I lived there, there was only one. I want to say Friar Street and Queen Victoria. There was a Pizza Hut across the street too.

• Liked: 584
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2017, 01:15:13 PM »
Count me in for Wendy's...  I LOVE their burgers!  It was the first burger place I hit when I was in Texas last summer, and I'm only a wee bit ashamed to admit I ordered a triple burger (triple cheese, mayo only!).

« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2017, 01:22:35 PM »
How about Jack in the Box?  I used to go there when I lived in Arizona around 1994.  Seems like they fried the buns in butter and had a E Coli problem.  It was good though.  Do they still exist?

• Liked: 57
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2017, 01:58:44 PM »
I'd kill for a Chick-fil-a.  They did a pop up in London last year but I was unable to go.  They did another one this year in Manchester.  Supposedly to train on customer service but I can't help but have hope that they'll follow Five Guys suit and expand into the UK.   :)

ME TOO! Omg, my DH and I joke semi-seriously about whether they'd let us open a franchise here. My kids will eat there; ok, yeah, the religion thing...but my KIDS WILL EAT THERE! I didn't know they did a pop-up...if they do one again, please post! It is a MUST stop every time I visit the US.
Met at Disneyland Paris: spring 1995
Dated long distance: off & on 2008-2014
Our twin boys were born: Sep 2009
Engaged: Oct 10 2014
Married: December 5 2014
Online Application & paid PRIORITY Submitted: Dec 22 2014
Visa Received: Jan 14 2015
Arrived in the UK: Feb 28 2015
FLR(M) application mailed: Sep 12 2017
FLR(M) approved: Oct 27
SET(M) application submitted: Feb 4 2020 (super priority)
SET(M) appointment: Mar 9
SET(M) approved: Mar 10
Naturalisation app submitted: Jun 19
No biometrics needed email: July 23

• Liked: 15
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2017, 05:36:33 PM »
Really?! I would much prefer Smashburger to 5 Guys!!
Love rosemary sweet potato fries!! And the NJ Burger--blue cheese & bacon with fried onion crispies--delish

• Liked: 537
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2017, 08:59:46 PM »
How about Jack in the Box?  I used to go there when I lived in Arizona around 1994.  Seems like they fried the buns in butter and had a E Coli problem.  It was good though.  Do they still exist?
Haven't eaten at a Jack in the box, they hadn't made it to my side of the state and I'don't rather have In N Out burger when it's an option. Haha

Definitely love wendy's for burgers, the did a huge overhaul on the menu about 5 years ago, it's SO good. They made things slightly higher qualify. Their pickles are amazing.

We had a Chik-fil-a in my town as well, their waffle fries are the absolute best and their ranch sauce? Killer.

I want to go back to GJ for a visit so bad. I really miss the food. And the people. But you all are making me miss the food!!
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Island Life (without the palm trees)
  • Liked: 20
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2017, 09:37:30 AM »
OMG Wendyyyyy's! Fries + Frosty = Heaven.

• Liked: 68
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2017, 11:42:03 AM »
Shamelessly ate at Wendy's more than any other place last time I went home. The first time I went home after a few years in the UK, I specifically requested my mom show up with a spicy chicken sandwich meal. She didn't! So when she pulled up in the car and said she didn't have it, I just jumped in and said let's go :-D (I did miss her too though...honest!)

• Liked: 134
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2017, 11:48:54 AM »
Wendy's?  Really?  We really all do have different preferences, don't we?   ;D

I come by it honestly; I'm from Ohio.  Pretty sure we're genetically programmed to like Wendy's.  I would kill for a frosty (and I don't even like chocolate).

Not a big burger fan but I will go to Five Guys despite the price because it's the closest thing I have found to a real hotdog over here.
Met Mr. Beatlemania: 20 Jan 2010
Tier 4 Visa Approved: 17 Sep 2012
Spousal Visa Received:  22 Sep 2014
Ohio to Essex: 26 October 2014
FLR(M): 10 May 2017
ILR: 23 October 2019
Citizenship: 6 September 2022

• Liked: 584
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2017, 12:40:31 PM »
OMG Wendyyyyy's! Fries + Frosty = Heaven.

I've heard of people dipping fries into a Frosty, but never tried it myself.   
I worked at a Wendy's in high school.  We had one of those bakery thrift shops across the road, where you could buy the bread and cakes that were nearing sell-by dates, for super-cheap.  They had these small gingerbread man cookies that we used to dip into Frosties.  That was goooood.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab