Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Five Guys  (Read 5614 times)

• Liked: 57
Re: Five Guys
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2017, 10:03:00 AM »
How about Jack in the Box?  I used to go there when I lived in Arizona around 1994.  Seems like they fried the buns in butter and had a E Coli problem.  It was good though.  Do they still exist?

Jack in the Box tacos, 2 for 99 cents, were a staple when I was in college. Pretty sure they weren't actually made of meat, but something super addictive about them!
Met at Disneyland Paris: spring 1995
Dated long distance: off & on 2008-2014
Our twin boys were born: Sep 2009
Engaged: Oct 10 2014
Married: December 5 2014
Online Application & paid PRIORITY Submitted: Dec 22 2014
Visa Received: Jan 14 2015
Arrived in the UK: Feb 28 2015
FLR(M) application mailed: Sep 12 2017
FLR(M) approved: Oct 27
SET(M) application submitted: Feb 4 2020 (super priority)
SET(M) appointment: Mar 9
SET(M) approved: Mar 10
Naturalisation app submitted: Jun 19
No biometrics needed email: July 23

• Liked: 116
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2017, 06:40:43 PM »
Ooooh Wendy's spicy chicken sandwich...so nice.  I used to love their baked potatoes too but they got rid of the cheese/broccoli topping I liked.
Spouse Visa:
Received by Sheffield 19 Nov 2016
Decision Made 26 Jan 2017
Visa Received 30 Jan 2017
Arrived in UK 15 Feb 2017
FLR (M) Biometrics 16 Sep 2019
FLR (M) Approved 17 Sep 2019 (Super Priority)

• Liked: 19
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2017, 07:13:06 AM »
I do miss chick fil e and Wendy's. the ice tea at chick fil e was to die for and of course Wendy's hamburgers and frosty sis awesome. Took my DH to sonic once and he still raves about their milkshakes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Officially a UK Yank!! Established 2002
  • Liked: 38
« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2017, 08:55:00 PM »
All this food talk is great. I loved the chicken sandwiches with pickles from chick fil e miss that. Not sure how I feel about Wendy's now. I used to like it but have found a few pubs here with good burgers so think that has satisfied my burger craving ! They have a new restaurant called half man half burger open here and Byron is coming (good burgers?)
My home for 18 years since June 2002. Became a citizen 2006

• Liked: 36
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2017, 10:58:49 PM »
Hi,

I'll be the boring one! I'll answer KFdancer's question :)

The general UK population will understand the Cost of Living, Standard of Living indice's. Related to this is the 'Cost of Doing Business' in the UK. For the most part, the UK's buying public don't understand the costs of running a business in the UK. In short, it's very, very expensive, mired in red tape and the law heavily biases the Consumer over the Business.

I've previously looked at taking on a franchise and yes, the potential profits to make do sound great. With more evaluation, I've decided not to continue (this was all amongst family and selected friends as well).

Mcdonalds want between £200-500K for a restaurant, put up 25% minimum up front, a one off £30K fee upfront to 'join' them and then recurring monthly charges of between 10-18% based on that months sales, 5% to use Mcdonalds' systems and another 4.5% to contribute to the corporates marketing costs. Also delving a bit more although this may have changed (or could have been complete porkies), a full restaurant re-vamp/fit out is needed every few years, which the franchisee pays for and also, you sign an agreement that as a franchisee you have no other source of income whatsoever. Also, prime locations cost significantly more, into the million(s).

Now smaller franchises do cost less usually, but even the cheapest one I looked at, which was a chain of a handful of outlets (fast food again) was £80K upfront. I only did a little more research into places like Starbucks, Costa etc and a few other non food type sectors.

So, in London, I can easily see why that 5 Guys 'meal' cost over £11! Ground rents and rates are stupidly high, insurance is similarly expensive, and then taxes on your profits are also 'relatively' high. Usual costs such as utilities and of course employee salaries/wages are similarly high.

There is of course the ratio of the cost of the meal compared to 'actual' business costs - the profit. 5 Guys does portray itself as a higher quality food place than mcdonalds, BK, KFC etc etc and hence add their 'profit margin' as well. I'd suspect the actual margin is relatively small, perhaps a modest amount more. I don't think they'd have large or big margins which is fashionable for many non business people to say/believe.

In addition to the above, one other forum I'm on, there's semi regular discussions about the potential of having/bringing a USA franchise 'over here'. I know many people on this forum often lament the unavailbility of specific brands, foods, products etc and believe me, plenty of people (including myself!) look into if and how to potentially do that! In short, its extremely difficult to do for a variety of reasons not just costs - for the 'food' sector, the UK palette is significantly different to the much more varied US one along with the fact that only a few regions in the UK, 'might' be interested in a certain food type group.

Right, I'll shut up - should I open a IHOP? or a In N Out Burger?!  ;)

Sorry for the boringness!

Cheers, DtM! West London & Slough UK!

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2017, 10:08:42 AM »
Love the "boringness" DtM!

I wasn't in London though, this was in Reading.  But yes, it was at the Oracle and I can imagine their rent is quite high.  Also they have really short hours, so they will have to make all their profits in that time as well (7pm is their late night opening for crying out loud).

Please open a Chick-fil-a.  PLEASE!!!!

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2017, 10:35:46 AM »
I would really like a 'Chicken Kitchen' please , way up in the North of Scotland  ;D

Cuban Chop Chop with Mustard 'n' Curry sauce. Yes, please. 
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2017, 10:52:20 AM »
On Saturday I took my daughter and her friends to Greenwich to do the Gorilla Circus Trapeze school, and of course we had to go to 5 Guys at the O2.  Accidentally ordered a burger with 2 patties, which is just too much.  Still room for a shake though.

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2017, 11:32:19 AM »
On Saturday I took my daughter and her friends to Greenwich to do the Gorilla Circus Trapeze school, and of course we had to go to 5 Guys at the O2.  Accidentally ordered a burger with 2 patties, which is just too much.  Still room for a shake though.

Everything about that day sounds awesome!!

« Reply #39 on: April 11, 2017, 01:48:18 PM »
Thanks, it was really nice .  Now my girl is obsessed with trApeze and wants to take a 6 week course. 

We drove to Greenwich from Twickenham and it wasn't so bad.  The worst bit was driving across Twickenham because of Rugby. 

My wife was at an academic conference so the kids and I went crazy, eating pizza in front of the TV, watching Star Trek.

• Liked: 36
« Reply #40 on: April 11, 2017, 07:24:36 PM »
Hi,

You read it here first! ;)

Are there any Tim Horton's fans around?

The first UK branch will be opening next month, in Glasgow !

They're on an expansion plan and looking to cover more areas in the UK over the next year, I've no doubt it'll be just as expensive as perhaps a Burger King outlet as they own Tim Hortons, but maybe there's some 'discounts' !

Chicken Kitchen and Chick-a-fil..    might take a moozy on at them too.. 

Cheers, DtM! West London & Slough UK!

• Liked: 134
« Reply #41 on: April 11, 2017, 09:56:04 PM »
Hi,

You read it here first! ;)

Are there any Tim Horton's fans around?

The first UK branch will be opening next month, in Glasgow !

:o

I love Tim Horton's!  They were one of the best things about our day trips to Ontario!  And then they opened some up in Columbus.  Glasgow's not that far from Essex.... right?

Whatever, it's totally worth it.
Met Mr. Beatlemania: 20 Jan 2010
Tier 4 Visa Approved: 17 Sep 2012
Spousal Visa Received:  22 Sep 2014
Ohio to Essex: 26 October 2014
FLR(M): 10 May 2017
ILR: 23 October 2019
Citizenship: 6 September 2022

• Liked: 585
« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2017, 08:00:02 AM »
Makes a nice change that we're actually getting something before That London!
(although I don't really know what a Tim Horton's is, lots of people at my work were talking about it yesterday and it sounded good.)

• Liked: 116
« Reply #43 on: April 12, 2017, 09:44:44 AM »
This thread REALLY made me want a spicy chicken sandwich the other day!  Had to 'settle' for a grilled chicken burger with peri-peri sauce and avocado from spoons.  Not a bad sub, but not the same!

Spouse Visa:
Received by Sheffield 19 Nov 2016
Decision Made 26 Jan 2017
Visa Received 30 Jan 2017
Arrived in UK 15 Feb 2017
FLR (M) Biometrics 16 Sep 2019
FLR (M) Approved 17 Sep 2019 (Super Priority)

« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2017, 10:56:14 AM »
I also admit that I've never eaten at a Tim Hortons, barely even heard of them.  What do they do that's nice?

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab