Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Five Guys  (Read 5613 times)

• Liked: 585
Re: Five Guys
« Reply #60 on: May 16, 2017, 07:49:36 AM »
Definitely don't get a hot dog in the cinema... they are disgusting.  But I like the hot dogs at Ikea, and the 'Rollover' (I think they're called?) hot dogs that you get in some petrol garages and corner shops.  I've not tried a Five Guys one yet... perhaps I should!  :)

• Liked: 68
« Reply #61 on: May 16, 2017, 08:07:50 AM »
My husband likes the hot dogs from Five Guys. I like hot dogs but can never bring myself up to getting one. Burgers all the way for me.

My local Asda recently opened a cafe where they do hot dogs and they are great! Reminds me of the ones from back home (not as great as Costco by any means but they will do). Only sad thing is you can't buy a pack to take home! The closest I can find are the hot dogs in the Polish section. They have more pork and less fillers in them too compared to others.

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #62 on: May 16, 2017, 10:23:11 AM »
When I lived in Reading we would have 5 Guys as a treat but I agree that it is SOO expensive. Like it's not exactly cheap in the US either from my experience, but this is like a whole other level of expensive! Especially when you factor in the delicious cajun fries! Glad it's not just me! Brit friends don't seem to notice but my husband and I definitely did).

I like hot dogs but can never bring myself up to getting one.

Haha same! it's a place for burgers so you almost feel wrong thinking of getting anything else...

Thanks...I'm not craving a 5 Guys burger with Cajun Fries.......This is going to stay with me all week I think.... Might need to beg my husband for a super cheat meal at some point this weekend....
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 68
« Reply #63 on: May 16, 2017, 07:20:15 PM »
We're going this weekend for a treat before watching the new Pirate film :-D

• Liked: 57
« Reply #64 on: May 16, 2017, 07:24:43 PM »
Which brings me to.... does anyone know where to buy vanilla extract that is literally just vanilla and the alcohol base? All the stuff I'm finding on the shelves here seems to have sugar added.

You can get real vanilla extract in Costco. I don't think it has anything else added.
Met at Disneyland Paris: spring 1995
Dated long distance: off & on 2008-2014
Our twin boys were born: Sep 2009
Engaged: Oct 10 2014
Married: December 5 2014
Online Application & paid PRIORITY Submitted: Dec 22 2014
Visa Received: Jan 14 2015
Arrived in the UK: Feb 28 2015
FLR(M) application mailed: Sep 12 2017
FLR(M) approved: Oct 27
SET(M) application submitted: Feb 4 2020 (super priority)
SET(M) appointment: Mar 9
SET(M) approved: Mar 10
Naturalisation app submitted: Jun 19
No biometrics needed email: July 23

• Liked: 537
« Reply #65 on: May 16, 2017, 07:45:11 PM »

Which brings me to.... does anyone know where to buy vanilla extract that is literally just vanilla and the alcohol base? All the stuff I'm finding on the shelves here seems to have sugar added.

I got a small jar from either Ocado or one of my local grocery stores. It was more expensive.  It's Steenberg's Fairtrade vanilla extract.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 674
« Reply #66 on: May 16, 2017, 09:20:50 PM »
Thanks, we'll look for that brand. Am reliant on the public transportation and I don't think Costco would sell me only a bottle of vanilla if I was able to get to Costco (no membership)....

• Liked: 537
« Reply #67 on: May 16, 2017, 09:26:34 PM »
I think it was Ocado as I got coconut oil at the same time. Ocado only does deliveries but you can get free delivery foe your first one, at east that's how I did it. Haha. Also got a ton of Mac and Cheese cause it was on offer.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

« Reply #68 on: May 16, 2017, 09:35:01 PM »
I think it was Ocado as I got coconut oil at the same time. Ocado only does deliveries but you can get free delivery foe your first one, at east that's how I did it. Haha. Also got a ton of Mac and Cheese cause it was on offer.

I made girl scout cookie smoothies and went to Waitrose to get Peppermint extract, coconut extract, caramel extract, and vanilla extract. They have LOADS of different extracts. They are relatively small bottles but they weren't overly expensive or anything.
My, how time flies....

* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.

• Liked: 585
« Reply #69 on: May 17, 2017, 07:35:58 AM »
Nan, I think you said you live near the Botanic Gardens?
If so, then there is a small-ish Waitrose in Byres Road, just across from Oran Mor...  I'm pretty sure you will find the vanilla you're looking for there.

« Reply #70 on: May 17, 2017, 07:59:39 AM »
Thanks Albatross & Kiss. Waiting for the post to come (package due in today) and then we'll walk over. Daughter says she knows where the Waitrose is.... am hopeful they have the good stuff, not the "sugar added" stuff.... :)  Found xanthan gum at Roots and Fruits farther down Great Western, and got almond flour from Tesco, so am just about ready to make a batch of low-carb cookies!  (Did I mention I love my kitchen here? It's waaay nicer than our last one.)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 08:02:52 AM by Nan D. »

« Reply #71 on: May 17, 2017, 01:45:54 PM »
I also got a much bigger bottle of vanilla extract from Sainsburys (looked like a posh brand) but it was nearly £4 and not that big....and I'm honestly not sure if it was additional sugar added or not as I didn't even realise there were different variations! hah Might be worth just keeping in eye out in the baking sections of shops you go into just in case it pops up (if Waitrose doesn't work that is).
My, how time flies....

« Reply #72 on: May 17, 2017, 05:25:26 PM »
Got a bottle at Waitrose - vanilla from Uganda (apparently) that was nothing but vanilla and alcohol. Pricey! But smells divine and should do the trick.  Will just have to keep an eye out for a better price. :D

« Reply #73 on: May 25, 2017, 09:17:37 AM »
Ok, the vanilla brand is Ndali, comes in a little tin bottle, and darned good! Just extract and the alcohol carrier, no water added, no sugar (or anything else added). I was wincing at the price but it's concentrated enough that a cap does three-dozen cookies just fine.  I'll be getting it again, definitely.

Made it out to Braehead to see Guardians of the Galaxy II (funny movie) and stopped at 5 Guys. The hot dog was fine. The fries were not the same. Good, but not the same as at home (probably the variety of potato). The onions on the dog were sweet instead of sharp, too. But overall enjoyed my blast from the past. Both of us had hotdogs and we split a small fries and with tap water to drink we got out of there for just over 11 pounds, I think.  Probably will only go on the 4th if I'm feeling nostalgic.  Went to Zizzi for pizza yesterday (have been really craving a NY slice) and while it wasn't anything near NY style, their rustic pizza was spectacularly good.

I think I'll be used to it soon, but I was so accustomed to, when going out shopping (or errands, etc.) for the day running through a drive-through or going into a mom-and-pop for a cheap snack.  Here there are a few places (like Greggs) you can pop into and grab something for a quick and cheap, but no a lot of them, it seems.  I am cooking three meals a day at home now. Don't mind it, but it's like going back to my childhood when that was the norm.

Probably a lot healthier, too.

Oh, we were walking yesterday and came across a platoon of nursery workers in uniform, each with a double-stroller with a toddler in each bay, coming through the Botanics in formation, two by two (The Mary Poppins Platoon).  Blast from my past there, too. I remember that it used to be the thing to do to make sure your young child was taken outside for fresh air every day, rain or shine.... I feel like I'm from the cretaceous some days. ;D  ... but glad to see the kiddies. Every one was rosy-cheeked and sound asleep. It was lovely in the Botanic Garden, as always, too.

Oh, yeah, for the addicted. The Odeon theatre in Braehead has Ben and Jerry's by the scoop. Not just the usual four you see in the grocery store, but also Cherry Garcia and some of the other really good ones....
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 09:19:49 AM by Nan D. »

« Reply #74 on: May 25, 2017, 09:34:37 AM »
RE the fries: could it be the specific location? I've had the cajun fries at my local 5 Guys and I didn't notice a difference. You might be right that it might be where the potatoes are sourced from or something but I was thinking maybe the different locations might play into that? Can't say anything about the onions, however, as I've never had their hot dogs or onions here or in the US but that could just be a different variety of onion as well.

Guardians II was SOOOO good :D Arguably, it's even better than the first one! :)

I think finding NY-style/tasting pizza over here is definitely more of a challenge (unless anybody has some suggestions!?  :D ). I've seen pizza in Camden (in London) at the food stalls that looked like it might taste similar but I wasn't actually eating there so can't say how it tasted. I think the quick places to pop in for snacks/food may also be more of a location thing? I'm down South in England and I find there are a decent amount of choices but I imagine if you live in a village say a county over, you might struggle more. Unfortunately not much you can do about that except look at it as a way to force yourself to save money and snack less haha As you said, it may be healthier making your meals at home so that's a positive? :)

The Botanical Gardens are GORGEOUS! Took my parents when we went to Scotland their last visit over. It's honestly HUGE! I feel like we could have spent a full day in there. We spend maybe 3 or 4 hours or so (give or take) and we didn't get to see everything.
My, how time flies....

Sponsored Links