Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Five Guys  (Read 5584 times)

• Liked: 672
Re: Five Guys
« Reply #75 on: May 25, 2017, 11:48:39 AM »
Hi - Yeah, I'm a fries connoisseur and had found the 5 Guys Fries (regular style) in San Diego to be about the best I'd had. Unfortunately, although tasty, the ones down at Braehead were just not the same.  The texture was wrong, and it's probably the difference between Idaho potatoes and whatever the local variety. Again, they were not bad, just not "the same". Probably as close as I'll get, though.

And the Botanic was one of the major considerations about where we were going to live (assuming a flat was available). I expect to spend a lot of time over there. I am older, and so it takes much less to amuse me through my days than it used to. I am cursed with waking up at 5:30 in the morning whether I want to or not. I used to dream of sleeping late when I retired, but noooooo, 5-freaking-thirty I wake up regardless of when I'd gone to sleep the night before. Anyway, I have a lot of time to putter now and I very much enjoy the walk over to the Garden when it first opens up, sitting an people watching, and, when it's sunny, getting some rays, and then going on over to Waitrose/Byers Road to the shops and PO.  It's really nice to be slowed down. It's so much lower-stress here that it's like night and day. (And a good thing.) 

I may have to, at some point when I get my old-lady-bus-pass, go on some expeditions elsewhere in search of french fries or Brooklyn pizza....  ;D

• Liked: 584
« Reply #76 on: May 25, 2017, 12:50:59 PM »
And the Botanic was one of the major considerations about where we were going to live (assuming a flat was available). I expect to spend a lot of time over there.

Do you mean the Botanic Gardens, Kibble Palace, etc?

• Liked: 672
« Reply #77 on: May 26, 2017, 05:13:08 PM »
That would be the one. Yep. LOVELY place.

• Liked: 4
« Reply #78 on: May 31, 2017, 11:57:10 PM »
Yes! Another vote for Wendy's! ;D

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #79 on: June 06, 2017, 11:44:52 AM »
I heard a really interesting interview today with the founder of 5 Guys.  He goes into great detail about why it is so expensive.

Five Guys: Jerry Murrell
http://one.npr.org/i/531097687:531249469

By the way, since we are talking about fast food, did anyone see the movie about Ray Kroc?  It's called the founder and is mostly about what a greedy psycho Kroc was and how he just about killed the poor McDonald brothers who just wanted to treat everyone fairly. 

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 840
« Reply #80 on: June 09, 2017, 11:31:30 AM »
Thanks for that link Jim. That was really interesting. And I've never even been to a 5 Guys. 
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

Five Guys
« Reply #81 on: June 09, 2017, 11:43:19 AM »
That guy sounded totally cool and laid back as well .  In contrast to people like Steve Jobs and Ray Kroc who are psychopaths.

You must be mulling over the ethical implications of running a business these days.   Are you considering being a landlord or just managing/ developing properties?  If you want to be a landlord you must be aware that some people will have a problem with that.

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
« Reply #82 on: June 09, 2017, 11:46:18 AM »
You must be mulling over the ethical implications of running a business these days.   Are you considering being a landlord or just managing/ developing properties?  If you want to be a landlord you must be aware that some people will have a problem with that.

Definitely mulling lots.  We're really not sure if we're up for being landlords, but we've not ruled anything in or out yet.  Lots of chatter at this point in our house. 
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #83 on: June 09, 2017, 11:58:19 AM »
Definitely mulling lots.  We're really not sure if we're up for being landlords, but we've not ruled anything in or out yet.  Lots of chatter at this point in our house.

We rented out our flat when we bought our house (my two BILs bought in so it's really all 3 of ours). Whatever you do, don't watch "if you can't pay we'll take it away" and other shows like that because it will put you off! In reality, it's not been a problem for us (only been a year or so?) but we barely hear from the tenants in terms of issues and they pay their bills so it was worth it for us because having that equity is a good thing.
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

« Reply #84 on: June 09, 2017, 01:05:58 PM »

I didn't post on your other thread because I don't really have any genuine knowledge, but I thought that recent tax changes have seriously made buy to let a lot less attractive.  On purpose, to allow first time buyers a better chance.  I'm sure you guys know all that though. 

I'm not a big believer in "All landlords are scum exploiting the working people " because I've rented plenty in my life and been treated well .   Sometimes renting makes sense.

I'm sure you guys will come up with something that works, good luck. 

« Reply #85 on: June 09, 2017, 01:12:31 PM »
By the way, I thought about you the other day because we took the Blanaugh Ffestiniog railroad in Wales and it was well cool.  We walked around a bit and then waited at a request stop and flagged down the train.  The kids loved it.

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
« Reply #86 on: June 09, 2017, 01:45:18 PM »
By the way, I thought about you the other day because we took the Blanaugh Ffestiniog railroad in Wales and it was well cool.  We walked around a bit and then waited at a request stop and flagged down the train.  The kids loved it.

Sounds fabulous!!!

[smiley=2thumbsup.gif]
II'm sure you guys will come up with something that works, good luck. 

Thank you!
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 424
« Reply #87 on: June 10, 2017, 12:11:24 AM »
You never know, maybe I'll be your tenant!?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
« Reply #88 on: June 14, 2017, 09:50:38 AM »
You never know, maybe I'll be your tenant!?
:D :D :D
You're stuck with me!

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
« Reply #89 on: June 14, 2017, 09:50:54 AM »
You're stuck with me!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab