Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Changing name on BRP or go to for citzenship  (Read 2112 times)

• Liked: 0
Changing name on BRP or go to for citzenship
« on: March 20, 2017, 01:53:23 PM »
So I changed my name recently to my pen name via statutory declaration because I wanted to. I got my passport updated and now I have to update my BRP. Has anyone ever done this as well? Most people do this through marriage but I didn't want my spouse's name because I knew eventually I would want to change it to my author pen name and I'm just a bit worried this will look strange...

Technically though, I have ILR and I have been in the UK for 5 years under the right visas and so I am eligible for citizenship. I'm assuming though they would not let me apply for citizenship with a biometric residence permit that does not match my current passport, right? I need to update my BRP and then apply for citizenship?

The reason I ask is because I'm eligible now. I have to pay £300 or so for a new BRP and citizenship is £800 so if I'm going to be spending a lot of money, I may as well just get citizenship now but then... I don't want to be paying £800 for them to come back and say, "No because your documents don't match" because I KNOW they won't be refunding that £800.

Thanks!

• Liked: 4985
Re: Changing name on BRP or go to for citzenship
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 01:58:59 PM »
Correct, you will need to apply for a BRP before citizenship.  Shame you didn't stop by before hand!  If you had done citizenship first, THEN changed your passport you could have saved a chunk of change.

It used to be that you could apply for citizenship in whatever name you wanted, but they changed it about a year or so ago requiring that citizenship be in the name of your current passport and visa.  So you'll need those to match to apply.

And I hate to break it to you, but citizenship is just under £1,300, not £800.

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 02:02:49 PM »
My US passport was due to expire in April which is why I changed my name now. Otherwise, I would have had to pay to update that as well later. I don't mind the increase of fees. It is what it is. Considering I want to stay in the UK and vote and be a proper citizen for the rest of my life... it's what I have to do!

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 02:03:42 PM »
I'd appreciate as well any experiences of folks updating the BRP to a name they changed without marriage! Maybe I'm assuming people are way more conservative but I've always felt nervous not having my spouse's name but... I didn't want it. XD

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2017, 02:06:15 PM »
I changed my name on my BRP (to my spouse's but it's the same process).  By post the standard processing time is 8 weeks, give or take a week or so.  It's really not a big deal to change your name to something other than your spouse's.  They just want the deed poll.  They'll be happy.   :D

Yeah, the US passport still could have worked.  They give you 12 months to change your name after a renewal for no cost.  But it's neither here nor there.  Hindsight is always 20/20.  We've all been there.   ;)

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2017, 02:08:15 PM »
Okay that does make me feel better. :/ I couldn't do a deed poll b/c you have to be a UK citizen to do that, but I did a statutory declaration signed by a lawyer. It worked for my passport but since I'm changing my ENTIRE name, I'm just worried about it and whether or not I need to explain why I changed it on the application or if it's just like, "I changed my name there you go here's the paperwork done".

• Liked: 170
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2017, 02:25:30 PM »
Okay that does make me feel better. :/ I couldn't do a deed poll b/c you have to be a UK citizen to do that, but I did a statutory declaration signed by a lawyer. It worked for my passport but since I'm changing my ENTIRE name, I'm just worried about it and whether or not I need to explain why I changed it on the application or if it's just like, "I changed my name there you go here's the paperwork done".

Curious... before I became British I changed my entire name (partially because of marriage) by deed poll. They'll just want your documentation to prove it. You won't need to explain why.

My change went from:
First Middle Maiden
to: Middle Maiden Married

No one batted an eyelid!
2004-2008: Student Visa
2008-2010: Tier 1 PSW
2010-2011: Tier 4
2011-2014: Tier 2
2013-2016: New Tier 2 (changed jobs)
16/12/15: SET (LR) successful! - It's been a long road...
12/05/16: Citizenship ceremony!

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2017, 02:25:43 PM »
No harm in attaching a short letter (like two sentences max).  Something like, "On January 1, 2017, I legally changed my name from Sarah Smith to Jane Johnson.  Please see the attached paperwork." 

But basically it's just "here's the form, paperwork, and money."  Done.   ;) 

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2017, 02:26:47 PM »
Whew thank y'all both. I think I'm just paranoid, you know? It's taken me so long to get here and I want to stay in this country and be a citizen. I'd be heartbroken if I couldn't or something got in the way.

• Liked: 537
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2017, 11:21:20 PM »
So I changed my name recently to my pen name via statutory declaration because I wanted to. I got my passport updated and now I have to update my BRP. Has anyone ever done this as well? Most people do this through marriage but I didn't want my spouse's name because I knew eventually I would want to change it to my author pen name and I'm just a bit worried this will look strange...

Technically though, I have ILR and I have been in the UK for 5 years under the right visas and so I am eligible for citizenship. I'm assuming though they would not let me apply for citizenship with a biometric residence permit that does not match my current passport, right? I need to update my BRP and then apply for citizenship?

The reason I ask is because I'm eligible now. I have to pay £300 or so for a new BRP and citizenship is £800 so if I'm going to be spending a lot of money, I may as well just get citizenship now but then... I don't want to be paying £800 for them to come back and say, "No because your documents don't match" because I KNOW they won't be refunding that £800.

Thanks!
You've got me all curious about what you write!
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2017, 11:24:01 PM »
I've got a book on Amazon but thus far I'm just trying to get an agent. XD I mostly write sci-fi. My old name has a lot of ties to family who were abusive so I'd rather get rid of it.

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2017, 07:33:42 PM »
Quick question folks, is this the No Time Limit application? My BRP does have a time limit...

And also, do you know if you have to send your passport with it? I think it says passport OR immigration status documents but then another part says send in your passports you've got since you've been granted ILR so it's a bit confusing...

Thanks,
Lola

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2017, 08:18:49 PM »
The No Time Limit (NTL) application is for people who hold ILR (although ILR BRP cards are valid for 10 years, the actual immigration status is indefinite as long as you remain in the U.K.).

If you only have a spousal visa or FLR(M), you need to apply for TOC (Transfer of Conditions), and not the NTL.

Yes, you must send your passport and your BRP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2017, 08:38:22 PM »
Awesome! I do have ILR now so that's the right application. And ho hum. I'll have to make sure I get my passport scanned then in case I need it for something. Ah well.

Thank you!

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2017, 12:31:12 PM »
Hey folks.

So I submitted this probably about at the end of April and I just got an email from the Home Office:

"Thank you for your application to the Home Office. Your application has been received and is being considered.

It may take up to six months to make a decision on your case. If we are unable to process your application within six months we will tell you as soon as possible."

I'm super confused because this is just to update my name. Is this considered an application? Could it take 6 months? Should I call the Home Office and ask?

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab