Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Went to pick up BRP...it's not there !  (Read 1005 times)

• Liked: 14
Went to pick up BRP...it's not there !
« on: March 24, 2017, 04:20:53 PM »
My 30 day travel window was valid starting on March 16, I arrived in the U.K. on March 17th. My decision letter said to pick up my BRP on March 23rd. Today is March 24 and it still is not at the post office I specified. I found this info on the government website. Is this info for applicants outside the U.K.?

"If you have problems collecting your BRP
Tell the Home Office if you can’t collect your BRP for any reason, for example:

you went to collect it from the Post Office and it wasn’t there
you’ve lost your passport or travel document, or can’t prove your identity
you don’t know which Post Office to go to because you’ve lost your decision letter
The Home Office will email you within 5 working days to tell you what to do next. It’ll take longer if you don’t give an email address.

Report now "

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Liked: 3595
Re: Went to pick up BRP...it's not there !
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2017, 04:29:55 PM »
Yes, that's the correct info.

However, sometimes, if UKVI have been busy it can take a few days longer than specified for the BRP to arrive at the Post Office - someone had to wait several extra days for theirs to arrive last year.

You have until either 10 days from arriving in the UK OR the end of your 30-day vignette to pick it up... whichever is LATER, so it might be worth waiting a few days to see if it has arrived before you notify UKVI - especially as it has only been 1 day since it was supposed to arrive at the Post Office.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 04:31:14 PM by ksand24 »

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2017, 05:51:44 PM »
Oh ok so I still have some time. I'll be checking on Monday again. Thank you !

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2017, 06:37:33 PM »
As predicted my BRP was available today, just a couple days extra to wait . I remember reading somewhere not to carry around the BRP card, instead memorize the number ? I am thinking to use my US drivers license as daily ID and bring out the BRP as needed for travel. What is the best practice with the BRP card ?

• Liked: 82
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2017, 06:52:37 PM »
I've only carried my brp even traveling. Don't even know my number. Never been asked for it, except at work...but they just looked at it and said ok. I applied for a learners permit with the dvla and use that for daily id

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

• Liked: 223
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2017, 06:58:36 PM »
As predicted my BRP was available today, just a couple days extra to wait . I remember reading somewhere not to carry around the BRP card, instead memorize the number ? I am thinking to use my US drivers license as daily ID and bring out the BRP as needed for travel. What is the best practice with the BRP card ?

Like JennyEye, I never carried my BRP except when travelling.

Actually, I never carry any ID. ::) I've never been asked for ID (expect when getting settled with NHS, bank, work, etc) in the UK and I don't drink, so there's no chance to be carded. If I did drink, I might carry something. I have a UK licence, but I'd only carry that if I was planning on driving.

Might not be best practice, but that's what I did for three years and I never had a problem.
July 2012 - Fiancée Visa | Nov 2012 - Married
Dec 2012 - FLR | Nov 2014 - ILR | Dec 2015 - UK Citizen

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2017, 07:42:12 PM »
I also only carry my BRP if traveling.  It's expensive and takes forever to replace if you lose it.  It's MUCH cheaper and easier to replace your passport.  But I wouldn't carry that either.

Legally you aren't required to carry ID in the UK (a strange concept for us to wrap our heads around).  I would apply for a provisional license if you feel more comfortable having a photo ID on you.

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2017, 08:47:40 PM »
Thanks for all the responses . Do I need driving lessons for a provisional license ?

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2017, 08:59:06 PM »
No, you just apply for the provisional licence (which is basically a learner's permit)... which you can use for ID even if you don't plan to drive here.

Most people do take driving lessons to pass the test and get the full UK licence, but you don't need lessons in order to get a provisional. In fact, if you don't already have a foreign licence, you can't legally have a lesson without first applying for a provisional licence (i.e. People who have never driven before must apply for a provisional licence before they can start lessons).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Liked: 97
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2017, 09:27:32 PM »
Is there anything that is the equivalent of a state id? I don't have a driver's license(long story some surgery when I was 16 on my shoulder couldn't drive and then college in the city so just never got one) I am 31 and legit still get carded on the regular...not complaining but it would be so nice not to have to drag my passport or brp around!
Met Dublin Ireland- July 2013
Long distance from November 2014-2016
Married 😍 in NYC :6th of January 2017
Spouse Visa Approved!! : 27th of February 2017
Moved to UK: 28th of April 2017

Applied FLR(M)-  12th January 2020
Biometrics- 20th of January 2020

Went to pick up BRP...it's not there !
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2017, 09:31:03 PM »
No, there isn't...which is why we suggest applying for a provisional licence to use as ID even if you don't plan to drive.

Otherwise you will be stuck carrying your passport (I have a British friend who doesn't drive due to medical reasons and carries her passport on nights out!)

Don't worry, I'm almost 34 and I still get carded here... 2 weeks before I turned 30 I got carded in the supermarket when buying paracetamol (Tylenol)... you only have to be 16 to buy it, and I'd worked in a pharmacy, selling it, for 9 years previously :P. It was also 11 a.m. on a Thursday during school time... if I was under 16, why would I be doing my grocery shopping on a Thursday morning instead of being in school?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 09:32:47 PM by ksand24 »

• Liked: 82
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2017, 11:29:11 PM »
Provisional licence.....couldn't remember what the heck it waa called.

I don't drive and don't plan on it....only got it for any id

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links