Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Confused by a few fiance visa application questions (Appendix 2 VAF4A)  (Read 1396 times)

• Liked: 13
Hi everyone, I'm sorry this is a long one but I am confused by a few questions and wanted any input I could get! For context, I met my fiance in the UK on a student visa and we lived in the same house for 8 months before I left for the US. Thank you for your time!

1.16 If you are an unmarried or same sex partner, have you been living in a relationship akin to marriage or a civil partnership?
Not sure what to put here- does living together and paying for things count as "akin to marriage"?

1.19 Have you lived with your sponsor in a relationship akin to marriage or a civil partnership at any time (including since your wedding or civil partnership ceremony)?

Again, will my answer to 1.16 count towards as YES for this question?

1.25 Do you and your sponsor have any shared financial responsibilities?
Is it okay to write that because we lived together, we both paid equally for activities, groceries, travel tickets, etc.?  (And showing bank statements?)

2.8 Do you intend to work in the UK? If yes, please provide full details.
I intend on applying for jobs and working as soon as I receive an offer --  will this type of answer suffice?
Fiancée visa: 07/12/2017
Biometrics: 07/18/2017 (Chicago)
Confirmation email:  07/24/2017
Decision email: 09/20/2017 (42BD)
Married: 12/28/2017
1st FLR(M) approved: 01/17/2018
1st BRP arrived: 01/19/2018
2nd FLR(M) applied: 06/23/2020
2nd FLR(M) approved: 10/30/2020
2nd BRP arrived: 11/05/2020
ILR biometrics on 01/11/2023 Super priority decision
Citizenship biometrics: 04/15/2023
Citizenship ceremony: 09/05/2023

• Liked: 3595
1.16 If you are an unmarried or same sex partner, have you been living in a relationship akin to marriage or a civil partnership?
Not sure what to put here- does living together and paying for things count as "akin to marriage"?

This does not apply to a fiance visa application, so I would answer no (especially as you don't CURRENTLY live together).

It's only really relevant to an unmarried partner visa, for which you must prove you have legally lived together for the 24 consecutive months immediately prior applying for the visa (and you should be currently living together at the time of application).

1.19 Have you lived with your sponsor in a relationship akin to marriage or a civil partnership at any time (including since your wedding or civil partnership ceremony)?

Again, will my answer to 1.16 count towards as YES for this question?

This is separate to 1.16 - 1.16 wants to know if you meet the requirement for an unmarried partner visa. This question is just asking if you have EVER lived together in the past.

So, your answer for this one is YES - you lived with your sponsor for 8 months while you were on a student visa.

1.25 Do you and your sponsor have any shared financial responsibilities?
Is it okay to write that because we lived together, we both paid equally for activities, groceries, travel tickets, etc.?  (And showing bank statements?)

You don't CURRENTLY live together, since you are in the US and your fiance is in the UK... so really you don't have any shared responsibilities.

This question is really asking about things like a joint mortgage, joint loans, joint bank accounts - things you are both legally accountable for paying. Although some people do mention rent and household bills here... however, since you are in the US, you are not currently paying rent or bills in the UK.

2.8 Do you intend to work in the UK? If yes, please provide full details.
I intend on applying for jobs and working as soon as I receive an offer --  will this type of answer suffice?

Well, if you are applying for a fiance visa, it will be illegal for you to work until you are married and you have received your FLR(M) visa to stay in the UK.

So, what you are suggesting to write could be interpreted as that you intend to work illegally, before you have the FLR(M) visa (i.e. as soon as you get an offer).

So, instead, I would put something like:
"Yes, I intend to work after I am married and have received my FLR(M) visa that will allow me to work."

• Liked: 13
This does not apply to a fiance visa application, so I would answer no (especially as you don't CURRENTLY live together).

It's only really relevant to an unmarried partner visa, for which you must prove you have legally lived together for the 24 consecutive months immediately prior applying for the visa (and you should be currently living together at the time of application).

This is separate to 1.16 - 1.16 wants to know if you meet the requirement for an unmarried partner visa. This question is just asking if you have EVER lived together in the past.

So, your answer for this one is YES - you lived with your sponsor for 8 months while you were on a student visa.

You don't CURRENTLY live together, since you are in the US and your fiance is in the UK... so really you don't have any shared responsibilities.

This question is really asking about things like a joint mortgage, joint loans, joint bank accounts - things you are both legally accountable for paying. Although some people do mention rent and household bills here... however, since you are in the US, you are not currently paying rent or bills in the UK.

Well, if you are applying for a fiance visa, it will be illegal for you to work until you are married and you have received your FLR(M) visa to stay in the UK.

So, what you are suggesting to write could be interpreted as that you intend to work illegally, before you have the FLR(M) visa (i.e. as soon as you get an offer).

So, instead, I would put something like:
"Yes, I intend to work after I am married and have received my FLR(M) visa that will allow me to work."

Thank you for the useful response!
Fiancée visa: 07/12/2017
Biometrics: 07/18/2017 (Chicago)
Confirmation email:  07/24/2017
Decision email: 09/20/2017 (42BD)
Married: 12/28/2017
1st FLR(M) approved: 01/17/2018
1st BRP arrived: 01/19/2018
2nd FLR(M) applied: 06/23/2020
2nd FLR(M) approved: 10/30/2020
2nd BRP arrived: 11/05/2020
ILR biometrics on 01/11/2023 Super priority decision