Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Cat from UK to USA  (Read 2102 times)

• Liked: 0
Cat from UK to USA
« on: March 25, 2017, 08:54:03 PM »
Hello. I am reading a.lot of USA to UK. I am looking for the other way around.

I will be flying from Heathrow to Baltimore Washington International with British Airways. I have no idea if they ship pets.

I have a happy 5.5kg, chipped cat. I've got an excellent vet whom i can ask all the details about bloods, rabies (if needed) and all about the health requirements.

I have got quotes from AirPets and Pet Travel so far. Prices are pretty hefty. I have seen people talking about going through airlines here, but i am totally clueless when it comes to all of that.
Do they provide crates? Hoe do they keep these poor animals calm on a long flight? What is all of this about them going as extra luggage? Have i also seen that some pets were allowed to travel in the cabin??

Sorry, i am just overwhelmed with information here.

I really don't want to have to find a home for her. Leaving my family and friends is hard enough. I REALLY don't want to have to leave her too. 😿

• Liked: 4985
Re: Cat from UK to USA
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2017, 09:16:02 PM »
Hello. I am reading a.lot of USA to UK. I am looking for the other way around.

I will be flying from Heathrow to Baltimore Washington International with British Airways. I have no idea if they ship pets.

I have a happy 5.5kg, chipped cat. I've got an excellent vet whom i can ask all the details about bloods, rabies (if needed) and all about the health requirements.

I have got quotes from AirPets and Pet Travel so far. Prices are pretty hefty. I have seen people talking about going through airlines here, but i am totally clueless when it comes to all of that.
Do they provide crates? Hoe do they keep these poor animals calm on a long flight? What is all of this about them going as extra luggage? Have i also seen that some pets were allowed to travel in the cabin??

Sorry, i am just overwhelmed with information here.

I really don't want to have to find a home for her. Leaving my family and friends is hard enough. I REALLY don't want to have to leave her too. 😿

My cousin brought her cat from South Korea to the US a couple of years ago.  She said she could have had a rabid raccoon in the carrier for how much customs cared.   ;D

I would check out the Facebook group Dive Into America.  I'm sure you'll find lots of people who have done UK to US.

I did US to UK with my two and I assure you, YOU will be much more anxious than kitty.  I had to provide crates.

• Liked: 63
Re: Cat from UK to USA
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2017, 09:28:49 PM »
We brought 2 cats from the UK to the US, but it was years ago. I can tell you a few things - airlines don't provide crates, but they do specify size (based on the size of the animal) and it has to be an 'airline approved' crate. Those are available from lots of vendors, or you can make one to spec.

We called British Air, and asked the procedure. At that point in time, the cats were 'extra luggage' and the cost was minimal. There is no quarantine requirement for animals coming from the UK, but you may need to provide proof of rabies vaccination.

AFAIK, there is no need/requirement to use a pet service - to start, I would check the requirements for the state you are flying to. That will tell you what (if any) vaccines are needed. Call the airlines and verify their requirements. I am not aware of any airline flying INTO the US that allows a pet to be in the cabin. Amazingly, animals take this pretty much in stride. Water/food has to be available, and they do go in the hold. My elder cat was totally cool about the whole trip, and Mr. Nasty - my little Phil who was an abused rescue cat who didn't like anyone very much, was totally fine with the experience.

This may be a good place to start: https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/British_Airways/pets.php
Married December 1992 (my 'old flame' whom I first met in the mid-70s)
1st move to UK - 1993 (Letter of Consent granted at British Embassy in Washington DC)
ILR - 1994 (1 year later - no fee way back then!)
Back to US in 2000
Returned to UK July 2011 (Spousal Visa/KOL endorsement)
ILR - September 2011
Application for naturalization submitted July 2014
Approval received 15-10-14; ceremony scheduled for 10 November!
Passport arrived 25 November 2014. Finally done!

Sponsored Links