Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Global Entry: worth it?  (Read 473 times)

• Liked: 210
Global Entry: worth it?
« on: March 26, 2017, 04:30:26 PM »
Has anyone applied for Global Entry, the international version of PreCheck?

Bonus! It's available for UK citizens, too, so if your spouse/partner is a UKC it may be worth looking into: https://thepointsguy.com/2016/02/5-things-to-know-global-entry/

Some thoughts here: https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i10702-k7832754-Is_Global_Entry_still_worth_it-Air_Travel.html

Some more info: https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/travel/enrolling-in-global-entry-involves-time-money-and-personal-information-its-worth-it/2016/06/08/8f82dcc4-2c24-11e6-9de3-6e6e7a14000c_story.html?utm_term=.04c401e00efb

I may not be able to apply for it as we're hoping to submit visa application in the next two weeks (which means giving up my passport), and I may not get my passport back with enough time to schedule a Global Entry appointment before I leave for England.

Wonder if this is available at US embassy in UK?
Online application submitted April 5, 2017
Biometrics & shipping to UK April 17, 2017
Email confirmation from Sheffield April 24, 2017
Submitted ToR May 12, 2017
Decision email: June 2, 2017

• Liked: 21
Re: Global Entry: worth it?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2017, 12:46:22 AM »
Yes - my wife and I both have it and it is quick and easy (except being jet lagged last time I actually left my passport in the machine and started to walk out without it which caused a bit of a chaos with good samaritans chasing after me and border agents looking at me as if I was an idiot - which I was)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2017, 01:09:52 AM »
If I understand correctly, this is separate from and in addition to the Registered Traveller program for the UK. Right?

So that's $100 for Global Entry and £120 for Registered Traveller (thank you whoever taught me how to do the £!).

Yikes, it's expensive to be an ex-pat! But after a traumatic entrance interview in Dublin last fall (they very nearly refused me entry and almost made me miss my plane, simply because they were having a bad day and wanted to take it out on someone), and with all the unrest in the US administration right now, I'm seriously concerned about international travel. Wondering if all this money is worth the peace of mind.

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2017, 08:59:02 AM »
If I understand correctly, this is separate from and in addition to the Registered Traveller program for the UK. Right?

So that's $100 for Global Entry and £120 for Registered Traveller (thank you whoever taught me how to do the £!).

Yikes, it's expensive to be an ex-pat! But after a traumatic entrance interview in Dublin last fall (they very nearly refused me entry and almost made me miss my plane, simply because they were having a bad day and wanted to take it out on someone), and with all the unrest in the US administration right now, I'm seriously concerned about international travel. Wondering if all this money is worth the peace of mind.

Just keep in mind neither program is for Ireland, so it's just UK and US if you signed up to both.  You'll still have to use traditional entry for every other country in the world.

I don't do the programs, but I have a kid, so they often direct me to a short line or sometimes even the front.   ;D 

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2017, 09:12:54 AM »
Yup about Ireland, but I will never ever EVER enter the UK through Ireland ever again. And I may never enter Ireland again, either! I'd gotten a cheap Aer Lingus flight that connected through Dublin, so I had to go through UK border control there. Never again, not even if getting an entrance stamp to the UK weren't an issue.

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2017, 09:22:27 AM »
Yup about Ireland, but I will never ever EVER enter the UK through Ireland ever again. And I may never enter Ireland again, either! I'd gotten a cheap Aer Lingus flight that connected through Dublin, so I had to go through UK border control there. Never again, not even if getting an entrance stamp to the UK weren't an issue.

To note: it's only the very first entry on your spousal visa (or any other visa) that you can't enter through Ireland, because you need the entry stamp to pick up your BRP card and to show what date you arrived in the UK (for FLR(M) and ILR applications).

After that, you can travel through Ireland as much as you like... it makes no difference.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 09:23:57 AM by ksand24 »

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab