Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Need for a US address?  (Read 894 times)

• Liked: 68
Need for a US address?
« on: March 28, 2017, 05:51:44 PM »
When I moved over here, I used my Grandmother's (then it became my mom's) home address for things like my bank account and driver's license.

Now my mom is moving out of state. I don't want to change my address to hers because she's moving to her boyfriend's property. My Dad doesn't want me using his and I don't really want to ask my aunt.

I don't know what to do at this point. Is it a necessity to have an address in the US?

• Liked: 21
Re: Need for a US address?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2017, 07:18:52 PM »
Pretty sure it's not a necessity, as your main address is in the UK. I do think it makes things easier when it comes to administrative stuff. Not to mention if you have plans to eventually move back to the US. I'm really not sure how you would go about changing your US address though... I hope you figure it out!

I still hold an address in Ohio, which is my parents' address. Before I moved to England, it's the only place I ever lived besides when I was away at college. My parents are very "rooted," and will most likely never move until they can no longer keep up their home and property.

My driver's license, US bank account, and a couple bills are tied to my Ohio address. The Ohio BMV said I could still maintain my Ohio DL while living in the UK.
4/2015 Married
7/2015 Spousal visa granted
8/2015 Moved to England
10/2020 ILR granted

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2017, 07:39:38 PM »
Honestly, I would ask someone.  Even a friend.  Most everywhere will still mail your mail to a foreign addresss but it can really help with things like voting and keeping a bank account (my bank account mails to the UK but my parents address is listed locally if that makes sense).

I'm a bit surprised at your dad.  What's his fear?

• Liked: 68
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2017, 08:27:40 PM »
I'm a bit surprised at your dad.  What's his fear?

To be honest, I'm not sure but he's always weird about those things. My driver's license is still his address actually (I lived there before moving here), so may just renew it as is come time.

I refuse to have another state license. I need my Disney discount you know  ;D

Thanks for the advice all.

• Liked: 9
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2017, 09:05:40 PM »
Travelmailbox ftw :)

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

• Liked: 12
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2017, 11:55:15 PM »
Is it a necessity to have an address in the US?
No, it's not necessary at all.  I've lived in the UK for 30 years without a US address. 

That said, I encountered my first obstacle a couple weeks ago when trying to use TurboTax for my US tax return; TurboTax would only accept payment with a credit card that was registered with a US address.  So instead I used TaxAct which happily accepted my credit card registered at my UK address.

• Liked: 21
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2017, 12:02:58 AM »
The only time it really counts is if you ever decide to move back and need a credit history to buy a property quickly for example - that's when keeping some us address tie with a credit card or two attached can really help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab