Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Party🎉🎉  (Read 1450 times)

• Liked: 4
Party🎉🎉
« on: March 31, 2017, 06:54:05 PM »
I'm having a party for my one year old, pulling out a few of the stops, bounce house, large games, sumo wrestling, face painting.
It seems my family is indifferent to the party, no one says can't wait, or I'm so excited. They basically say nothing except what time does it start?😂
Is it just my family or is this indifference to kids parties or parties in general a culture thing.
They don't seem to get as much as it is to celebrate the child it's also partly for the parent just surviving the first year! Parenting is a lonely job😓

• Liked: 68
Re: Party🎉🎉
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2017, 07:34:37 PM »
My husband's family only seem to be interested in any get together if there's mention of alcohol being involved.

Me though? Sumo wrestling sounds awesome!!! I think this party sounds epic. I'd totally be excited :-D

• Liked: 4
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2017, 07:37:39 PM »
My husband's family only seem to be interested in any get together if there's mention of alcohol being involved.

Me though? Sumo wrestling sounds awesome!!! I think this party sounds epic. I'd totally be excited :-D
lol same here, I'm excited as a fat kid seeing cake☺️

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2017, 04:36:29 PM »
When your kid starts school, every kid is invited to every party.  That means your entire weekend can be taken up with kid's parties.  Maybe that explains why they are so jaded and bitter.

Your party does sound fun though. 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2017, 05:30:44 PM »
Your party sounds fabulous!

Today is my daughters third birthday and we invited family over for cake.  "Today wasn't good and they can come late afternoon tomorrow as they have things to do in the morning."  My parents would give their eye teeth to be able to be here.  People are different.

And I agree with Jimbo.  We've already started the party craze at nursery and they are all rather elaborate!  At home, I think I just friends over to swim...

• Liked: 154
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2017, 10:40:59 PM »
When your kid starts school, every kid is invited to every party.  That means your entire weekend can be taken up with kid's parties.  Maybe that explains why they are so jaded and bitter.

Your party does sound fun though. 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I thought this was the rule, but last weekend my daughter went to a party that was definitely certain kids were invited. 

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2017, 10:42:10 PM »
My family would love to be here for birthdays.. but my MIL thought our daughter was spoiled because her mum and I threw her a big party for her fifth last year. She came up but you could tell it wasn't her cup of tea.

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2017, 10:48:04 PM »
My family would love to be here for birthdays.. but my MIL thought our daughter was spoiled because her mum and I threw her a big party for her fifth last year. She came up but you could tell it wasn't her cup of tea.

If we so much as get a cake, I feel like my inlaws think she are spoiling her..   ::)

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2017, 10:51:56 PM »
If we so much as get a cake, I feel like my inlaws think she are spoiling her..   ::)

I feel that way a lot too. We've recently taken in my step daughter full time and I feel like I'm being judged for EVERYTHING. But my mom always made birthdays a big deal for us and it's something I want to give my kiddos.

• Liked: 537
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2017, 11:05:46 PM »
Wow... that's mental.

My in-laws spoil their grandkid rotten. He get's homemade chocolate cake most days. He runs amok and has to be the centre of attention at ALL times.

He's a nice enough kid, but royally spoiled. Like actually spoiled. haha.

You're kids sound normal.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 111
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2017, 05:45:35 PM »
I'm Mexican so parties are big in my world. I also have 72 first cousins. I can't even begin to count their children and their children and their children. So, parties in my culture are massive with bouncy castles and kegs of beer at a one-year-old's birthday party. So, to me, your baby's birthday is pretty normal to me. But, two of my three children are English-born. The culture is different so I adapted to it.

We've been in the US for nearly 13 years now. My husband and I own a photobooth business and we do a lot of parties and are always busy. My husband is getting ready to leave his full-time job to devote to the business. My father was a professional singer and musician and had a full schedule doing nothing but celebrations for the 50 years he lived in the US.

I used to throw a party for myself since it was in summer and there was 50/50 chance there would be some sun in England. I was the only one who ever had celebrations. It was depressing that it was the only time the husband's family would get together and they lived in the same town. So, I totally understand where you are coming from. But, if they don't make a big deal, that's okay. You keep doing what you like to do. Enjoy the party.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2017, 08:33:08 AM »
Sorry if this is a bit off topic but aside from lavish kids birthday parties, something else I noticed isn't done here a lot are things like the Easter bunny, tooth fairy, even Santa Claus doesn't seem to have the popularity as it does back home. I don't have any children but if I did I would do it all, because I felt like it was part of my childhood that made it special. I know it's not everyone's thing though.

My mom went all out for me, although I didn't realize it then, I do now because of the lack of celebration here. I had a bouncy castle and "Pocahontas" at my 10th birthday (she was big then!), various Chuck E Cheese parties (I'm sorry but the places here don't compare, haha!)
My husband jokes that we celebrate EVERYTHING in America. Well yes, why not?!

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2017, 09:05:28 AM »
Bri, when you have a child, you'll realise Santa is INSANE here.  They just call him Father Christmas (that bugs me for some reason).  Seriously, you have to book to see him in September if you want a chance of getting in.  SEPTEMBER.  But instead of being at the mall, he's at every garden centre.

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2017, 10:23:50 AM »
Bri, when you have a child, you'll realise Santa is INSANE here.  They just call him Father Christmas (that bugs me for some reason).  Seriously, you have to book to see him in September if you want a chance of getting in.  SEPTEMBER.  But instead of being at the mall, he's at every garden centre.

Oh, I notice that. And even notice sometimes you have to pay for your child to get a chance to see him! However, I meant in terms of getting presents. Almost all of my friends here did not do gifts from Santa growing up and my stepson never did it as well as my nephews. I know it's a personal preference and I am not knocking it if you choose not to, but I only saying that I think it is bigger back home than it is here.

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2017, 10:30:22 AM »
Oh, I notice that. And even notice sometimes you have to pay for your child to get a chance to see him! However, I meant in terms of getting presents. Almost all of my friends here did not do gifts from Santa growing up and my stepson never did it as well as my nephews. I know it's a personal preference and I am not knocking it if you choose not to, but I only saying that I think it is bigger back home than it is here.

Yeah, it's really inconsistent (probably is at home too, I just didn't have kids there so didn't pay much attention).  Some families it's only the stocking from Santa.  Some families it's EVERY SINGLE PRESENT from Santa - including gifts from grandparents/aunts/uncles.

I think we are going to keep Santa small (kid is still young enough to where we aren't committed to anything yet).  My parents went a bit OTT with Christmas and I prefer to keep things smaller overall.

Sponsored Links