Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Wedding dresses on planes  (Read 1467 times)

• Liked: 4985
Re: Wedding dresses on planes
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2017, 08:55:11 PM »
I did the mona lisa button the first time with facebook url. No go. Trying one more time!

SUCCESS!!

Gorgeous!

• Liked: 87
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2017, 08:56:10 PM »
Gorgeous!
Thank you!! I worked hard on them :D

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

• Liked: 134
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2017, 09:03:24 PM »
Hi there!  I flew my dress with my to the UK for our wedding and then back to the US for our US ceremony.  The dress was my mother's so there was no way I was letting it out of my sight.  I put it into a nice travel bag (the lady who did the alterations gave it to be so it was professional quality) and folded it into my carry-on.  It only just fit (cathedral-length train, woot woot!).  I packed the acid-free archival paper from its storage box in the bag with the dress for travel. 
I did not have the airlines hang it or anything- the stewardess told me that they can't really do that anymore but that may have just been because the plane from my home airport to Detroit is teeny tiny.  I took it out and rehung it as soon as we got home.  You could tell it had traveled but I had it ironed before the big day.  I flew my undergarments (crinoline, etc) in my checked bag because, while not ideal, they could be replaced. 
Did the exact same the other way with no problems, as well.  There was a terrifying moment going through security in our connecting US airport where they kept running the bag containing the dress through the scanner over and over again.  I was dreading having to ask to go someplace a little more convenient if they needed to search the bag but they let it through in the end!

Loving both our your flowers.  I would do that but think I might cry if I did that to a book.  And I am nowhere near crafty enough to make them look *that* good, Lyonaria.
Met Mr. Beatlemania: 20 Jan 2010
Tier 4 Visa Approved: 17 Sep 2012
Spousal Visa Received:  22 Sep 2014
Ohio to Essex: 26 October 2014
FLR(M): 10 May 2017
ILR: 23 October 2019
Citizenship: 6 September 2022

• Liked: 537
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2017, 10:19:34 PM »
I did the mona lisa button the first time with facebook url. No go. Trying one more time!

SUCCESS!!r
The look lovely! You did a great job.

Sorry, we were having dinner and then I skyped with my parents and nephew.

The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2017, 10:25:51 PM »

Loving both our your flowers.  I would do that but think I might cry if I did that to a book.  And I am nowhere near crafty enough to make them look *that* good, Lyonaria.

I wouldn't normally, but it was already in a bad way when I found it and I already had a copy. And I made my bridal bracelet and a few other things. I like making things. ☺

There was a learning curve and the first few were pretty crap! Haha. But after I got the hang of it it was easy. Just a bit time consuming.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2017, 10:28:08 PM »
My bouquet is also still a decoration in my office. I was looking forward to having it forever. ☺

• Liked: 154
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2017, 10:33:33 PM »
Love the flowers ladies! You are so crafty. My mom made me a bouquet with brooches from family and friends. It was SO heavy. I loved it but I am really loving your guys homemade ones.

« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2017, 01:14:11 AM »
Beatlemania--
Thank you for the tips! I've got a really nice quality tyvek garment bag that my dress is in. I was planning on very carefully putting it in my carry on. It's mostly lace with a satin lining. I don't think I have to worry about lace getting TOO wrinkly. I did test it out to see if it fits, and it does! I was just wondering if airlines would work with you. I'll probably just end up sticking it in my carry on. I'm sure it will be fine for <24 hours and it will be hanging for about 3 months before I wear it so I'm sure most of the wrinkles will fall out. And thank you! I'm really excited about them. My bouquet and my bridesmaids bouquets are next. I have a feeling those are going to be a bit more challenging!.

Lyonaria--Thanks! I finally got that stinking photo to post! One of the reasons I did the sola wood was so I could keep mine as well :D

Eh127929--Thanks! My best friends made all of her bridesmaid broach bouquets for her wedding. They were beautiful! Lots of love goes into that kind of thing :)

• Liked: 116
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2017, 03:13:20 PM »
I think the dress will be okay in your carry on.  You can have it steamed at a dry cleaner once you get here if the wrinkles don't fall out on their own after you hang it back up.  But my wedding gown was kind of stuffed into its garment bag (it had a train as well) for a couple weeks before the wedding and we didn't need to steam it at all the day of.  (I did keep a travel steamer on hand, which you can order cheaply, and was glad I did because my veil really needed it.)
Spouse Visa:
Received by Sheffield 19 Nov 2016
Decision Made 26 Jan 2017
Visa Received 30 Jan 2017
Arrived in UK 15 Feb 2017
FLR (M) Biometrics 16 Sep 2019
FLR (M) Approved 17 Sep 2019 (Super Priority)

« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2017, 06:32:22 PM »
Thanks so much MPI---

Reading that others dresses have traveled ok makes me feel more at ease about it! :) I'll look into the travel steamer. I think it might be a handy thing to have around in general!

• Liked: 116
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2017, 08:00:51 PM »
Oh, it's great to have one around!  I hate ironing (and a lot of my clothes are silk CDC and ironing isn't recommended) but I also hate creases on my everyday clothes.  Also there's no dryer in our flat...so clothes end up pretty wrinkly after a wash!
Spouse Visa:
Received by Sheffield 19 Nov 2016
Decision Made 26 Jan 2017
Visa Received 30 Jan 2017
Arrived in UK 15 Feb 2017
FLR (M) Biometrics 16 Sep 2019
FLR (M) Approved 17 Sep 2019 (Super Priority)

• Liked: 97
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2017, 03:14:35 AM »
we are having a family ceremony in Mexico in about a year and a half(did courthouse wedding which was kinda fun in itself) but was wondering how to get it there. some great tips.

also that rose bouquet is amazing. lyonaria you aren't for hire are you??? also your dress colour is just to perfect!
Met Dublin Ireland- July 2013
Long distance from November 2014-2016
Married 😍 in NYC :6th of January 2017
Spouse Visa Approved!! : 27th of February 2017
Moved to UK: 28th of April 2017

Applied FLR(M)-  12th January 2020
Biometrics- 20th of January 2020

« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2017, 01:15:46 PM »
we are having a family ceremony in Mexico in about a year and a half(did courthouse wedding which was kinda fun in itself) but was wondering how to get it there. some great tips.

also that rose bouquet is amazing. lyonaria you aren't for hire are you??? also your dress colour is just to perfect!

Thanks! It was a fun (frustrating at times). I haven't made any in over 3 years. 😁

It was a 50's wiggle dress I found on Etsy and had altered for me. I loved it.

• Liked: 957
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2017, 12:45:18 AM »
My dress had a lot of beading on lace, so I super carefully folded it with layers of acid-free parchment paper and packed it in a "space bag" and into my carry-on (in case the carry-on got wet at all, and to keep it from shifting and catching beads). I brought a nice garment bag to transfer it into and the hotel we stayed at for the wedding steamed it for me :) It was very stressful, I had some fragile jewelry and hair pieces too that had to be carefully packed for multiple trips, plus all the deco that got checked. If I had to do it again I would've just left out the small details. I don't think anyone really appreciated them besides me and it was a small wedding.

Your flowers are beautiful! I'm sure your dress will make it just fine and you'll have a lovely day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab