Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Care packages to the US from UK  (Read 630 times)

• Liked: 0
Care packages to the US from UK
« on: April 05, 2017, 05:48:09 PM »
Hi,

My names Rachel, my best friend lives out in NY and I have recently come back from staying with her.
To say thankyou for her and her families hospitality I'd like to send out a package full of stuff all things British that they may miss.

I've been looking at multiple websites and lists of what can and cannot be sent into US and it doesn't seem like anything can.

Would anyone mind offering me some advice as to what would and wouldn't be allowed?
Or perhaps you've sent something similar and could offer me some examples of what to send or what would be appreciated.

TIA :-)

• Liked: 210
Re: Care packages to the US from UK
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2017, 05:14:00 AM »
It sounds like they are British or like British things?

Do they have a sweet tooth? There are some special British candies, chocolates, etc.

Tea, if they are tea drinkers. My wife actually brought her own tea from England when she came to visit me. :)

Something that's hard to get in the US but ordinary in the UK is blackcurrant jam. (But that's quite heavy, so...)

Not sure about their particular likes, but those are some UK gifts we gave to US friends.
Online application submitted April 5, 2017
Biometrics & shipping to UK April 17, 2017
Email confirmation from Sheffield April 24, 2017
Submitted ToR May 12, 2017
Decision email: June 2, 2017

• Liked: 68
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2017, 08:24:30 AM »
There's a quite in-depth list here on the Royal Mail website: http://www.royalmail.com/united-states-america

But they're not really anything you would include in a care package anyways :-) I was surprised about the coffee although I wouldn't understand why anyone would want to send British coffee to the U.S. personally!

Tea is a good idea, some British chocolate/biscuits, the usual comfort food that would make someone a little less homesick really!

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2017, 02:17:30 PM »
Thankyou both, they are originally from Guyana but due to her mums job moved over to England for 6 years.

They miss being here a lot, I know they miss Kenco coffee, so i was quite disappointed about that being on the list too.

• Liked: 223
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2017, 06:14:49 PM »
My brother and sister-in-law in the US love Tunnocks caramel wafers. Lightweight and delicious.

My mom is always happy with chocolate. My dad likes UK Skittles since the purple flavour is blackcurrant rather than grape.

When we send care packages to friends we've stayed with in the US, we usually send Tunnocks, a small box of PG Tips and a small box of Green and Black chocolate. We haven't had any problems with those parcels.

Revels are fun since there isn't a candy like it in the US that I know of.

You didn't mention it, but just to get it out there, don't send Kinder Eggs to the US. They're not allowed in the US because of the 'concealed chocking hazard', aka toy in a chocolate shell  ::) , and will cause problems.
July 2012 - Fiancée Visa | Nov 2012 - Married
Dec 2012 - FLR | Nov 2014 - ILR | Dec 2015 - UK Citizen

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2017, 06:22:16 PM »
Ooh thanks for the heads up TravellingFrog - now you've mentioned 'egg' i wonder, do they have cadburys creme eggs over there?

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2017, 12:40:22 AM »
They do have Cadbury's Creme Eggs in the US but they are made by Hershey's  and don't taste the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Liked: 223
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2017, 08:06:26 AM »
Cadbury Creme Eggs would be great. I'm a fan of the small eggs - easier to eat and easier to share! Probably less risk of breaking or being smooshed in the post, too.  ;)
July 2012 - Fiancée Visa | Nov 2012 - Married
Dec 2012 - FLR | Nov 2014 - ILR | Dec 2015 - UK Citizen

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2017, 10:30:14 AM »
They do have Cadbury's Creme Eggs in the US but they are made by Hershey's  and don't taste the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That sounds like an abomination.  The British have convinced me that Hersheys tastes like puke.  I'm going native!

• Liked: 537
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2017, 06:28:20 PM »
That sounds like an abomination.  The British have convinced me that Hersheys tastes like puke.  I'm going native!
Cadbury's tastes like sour milk to me. So gross.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab