Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: UK Foods you have NOT learned to love  (Read 6602 times)

• Liked: 68
UK Foods you have NOT learned to love
« on: April 07, 2017, 07:55:07 PM »
I saw some things on another thread about foods that people may not like, but I thought I would start a thread rather than hijack that one.

I was wondering what popular British foods Americans in the UK have tried and just don't like. I consider myself open to trying new things but there are a few I regret!

I'll start with Blackcurrant flavored anything (seriously tastes like bitter vomit to me!) and cold sausage rolls...a party staple here it seems!

• Liked: 537
Re: UK Foods you have NOT learned to love
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2017, 08:01:23 PM »
Totally agree! Blackcurrant is gross. The skittles that should be grape but aren't make me sad.

I don't like the sausage rolls here either. The meat is ground too fine for me. Haha.

Mushy peas though. So gross!!

And I am not a marmite fan. Haha.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2017, 08:31:27 PM »
I actually don't mind mushy peas, but I prefer it in the can than anything from the chippy. In fact, I am not a big fan of the chippy either.
And I haven't had the opportunity to try Marmite but I would.

The chippy reminded me - Another thing I don't get and find gross is a "chip barm". My husband will get them sometimes. It's fat and carbs sandwiched between carbs and fat (butter). I just can't! [smiley=sick.gif]

• Liked: 223
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2017, 08:39:03 PM »
Send the blackcurrant sweets my way! I love them.

I'm pretty easy when it comes to new foods, but I'm vegetarian so that strikes out a lot of strange British food.
July 2012 - Fiancée Visa | Nov 2012 - Married
Dec 2012 - FLR | Nov 2014 - ILR | Dec 2015 - UK Citizen

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2017, 09:16:26 PM »
I only tried Marmite once but I slathered it on my toast THICK.  Ruined that for life.  My kid would lick it off a wall though, she LOVES it.  I still haven't brought myself to try black pudding, white pudding, or haggis.  Can't do it!

I don't like rocket.  It tastes like dirt.

• Liked: 134
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2017, 09:40:58 PM »
I agree with all of the above.  I had to the list... maltesers.  I can't stand them.  And I love malt.  I adore it.  Nothing better than a malt and fries.  I can eat an entire box of whoppers in a sitting but I cannot stand maltesers.  They're just too sticky, if that makes any sense.
Met Mr. Beatlemania: 20 Jan 2010
Tier 4 Visa Approved: 17 Sep 2012
Spousal Visa Received:  22 Sep 2014
Ohio to Essex: 26 October 2014
FLR(M): 10 May 2017
ILR: 23 October 2019
Citizenship: 6 September 2022

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2017, 10:10:28 PM »
I have to agree about the rocket! Love lettuce and spinach but I have to pick rocket out of a salad.

Never noticed that about the maltesers. They are sweeter.

And just to be fair, there is British food that I do like, but after seven years here there are things I don't think I'll ever get the tastebuds for.

• Liked: 21
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2017, 10:51:41 PM »
Granted, I am a really picky eater so there are bound to be foods I don't like (those include mushy peas)!

I am not really a roast dinner fan, but I do love roast potatoes. Def don't like plain, boiled vegetables, blech! If you roast them with just some olive oil, salt and pepper the flavor and texture is so much better imo.

Don't care for Christmas pudding or Christmas cake. I'm happy with a mince pie and custard instead!

Has anyone noticed how much sweet corn is used here, or is it just me? I've seen it on pizza, in pasta salad, rice, sandwiches, etc. I don't like sweet corn either  ;)

I actually prefer Maltesers to Whoppers. My Dad loves anything malt and went crazy for the Maltesers during his first visit here.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 11:20:03 PM by Karlee »
4/2015 Married
7/2015 Spousal visa granted
8/2015 Moved to England
10/2020 ILR granted

• Liked: 957
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2017, 03:14:25 AM »
I will never get used to black currant everything. I hated those jelly baby flavors when I'd get them in Canada, and was thoroughly disappointed to see it all over.

I actually like minted mushy peas, but I have gastroparesis so a lot of the times I have to eat pureed/blended food anyways. Flavorful mushy foods are a win in my book.

Also ... seafood pizza? My husband gets those often and I still can't bring myself to try it.

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2017, 07:48:09 AM »
Also ... seafood pizza? My husband gets those often and I still can't bring myself to try it.

Oh yuck, I can imagine the smell would put me off!

Whatever happened to good ol' supreme pizza? If I want a pizza with "everything" (or at least the popular stuff) then I'd have to do a "choose your own".

• Liked: 533
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2017, 07:48:32 AM »
Totally agree! Blackcurrant is gross. The skittles that should be grape but aren't make me sad.

It took me a long time to figure out what was wrong with skittles. I throw several in at once. Had to isolate till I hit the purple.
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 14
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2017, 08:32:03 AM »
BLACKCURRANT flavoured anything is the first thing that came to mind..

So that would be tops..

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2017, 09:02:56 AM »
I only tried Marmite once but I slathered it on my toast THICK.  Ruined that for life.  My kid would lick it off a wall though, she LOVES it.  I still haven't brought myself to try black pudding, white pudding, or haggis.  Can't do it!

I don't like rocket.  It tastes like dirt.

Yeah husband puts it thin on toast and it's still gross to me. Haha.

I've had haggis and it's weirdly bitter and really gross. Ugh. Never again.

I don't mind rocket or as we call it arugula. It's better than iceberg lettuce, which is horrible and I think tastes like dirt. Haha.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2017, 09:05:42 AM »
I actually don't mind mushy peas, but I prefer it in the can than anything from the chippy. In fact, I am not a big fan of the chippy either.
And I haven't had the opportunity to try Marmite but I would.

The chippy reminded me - Another thing I don't get and find gross is a "chip barm". My husband will get them sometimes. It's fat and carbs sandwiched between carbs and fat (butter). I just can't! [smiley=sick.gif]
Ew. Yeah. Husband doesn't eat a chip butty or whatever word you want to use and I definitely wont. You are fries on hot dogs or full on other sandwiches on Those food network shows sonetimes. But I prefer mine seperate.

• Liked: 154
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2017, 12:11:23 PM »
Mushy peas for me. Can't stand them.

I also hate trifle. Maybe I just haven't had a good one, but soggy sponge cake with fruit cocktail and I'm assuming it was whip cream? Nasty

I also hate the butter on sandwich thing. First time I met my MIL she made us ham sandwiches for lunch and I hate ham and then add butter to it had to force it down.

I like black currant and spoke squash, but nothing else black currant. I miss grape!

Maybe I'm buying the wrong thing, but every time I buy minced meat and use it for things like tacos, it never really gets broken down small. I can't explain it. Lol but to me it's just not the same.

Sponsored Links